cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arne Saknussemm's RMA Adventure (Europe)

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
To RMA or not RMA that is the question?

So I have the dreaded sound failure on my RIVE. "The dreaded sound failure" you may ask (as did I) ; seems not uncommon if you trawl the web. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25448-Rampage-IV-Extreme-Audio-not-working&country=&status=

So after ruling out fixing this troubleshooting I look tentatively at RMA or buy sound card. eventually I figure the MB shouldn't break, it's top of the line after all and I should get what I pay for. Having read RMA threads here recently though, this strikes fear into the heart....but figuring this is where the negative stories are going to get posted and maybe not a peep about all the good ones I thought I'd go for it.

I can tell you already it's not much fun....time is money and i've already invested half a day to get where I am....

I am, supposedly, an ASUS VIP. I have the MB registered with ASUS in my account. I would like to say right off the bat this would be a hell of a lot more use if going to that product I could click on a button to start a warranty claim.

As it is the registering of this product seems to have been of little use so far....and I don't feel very VIP yet.

Amazon, sold me the board and in one phone call they told me that they would replace the MB or refund me my money in the blink of an eye, under warranty if I get a certificate from ASUS saying that is OK....that the problem is from manufacturing. So I have to get this from ASUS....how is not clear. I can hope that they recognise this is a common failing and send me the certificate today. HOPE.

So contact ASUS

Basically if you have a MB problem go here
Go directly to here as fast as you can...there is no other way I can find. I rang the hotline only to be told MB failures had to go through email! smartphones tablets laptops etc all seem to be catered for but not MBs and not the top of the line MB:confused:

If you go through the hassle of identifying your hardware (despite this being registered in your account) all roads lead to this page

And if you try to get warranty info for Europe it seems fast RMA is only for servers etc. Again top of the line MB should be included here.

So where am I? With a top of the line product that has gone wrong the details I have already registered are for nought...had to fill them all out again in the online form. can't speak to anyone about the problem.....now waiting for a reply "within 48 hours" after a kind of frustrating morning clicking links round in circles....

Not the best start but a start...

Will keep you posted....
99 REPLIES 99

alex_123_fra
Level 7
Oh dear, this doesn't inspire much confidence Arne. I hope you get sorted. I bought my board from Amazon too.

I often wish I had bought from overclockers.co.uk as they seem to support buyers with RMA requests. They are excellent with some other products I bought and returned. They receive the product back, send you a new one and then they chase the warranty claim themselves.
i7 3930k @4.5 GHz 1.32Vcore 24/7
Custom Water Cooled
Asus Rampage IV Formula
16 GB G-Skill Trident X 2400 MHz DDR3 10-12-11-30 - 1T
180 GB Intel 520 SSD (OS Win 7 ultimate), OCZ Vertex 2 160 GB
2 x GTX 780 in SLI
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Corsair Carbide 540 Case
Asus PB278Q @ 1440p

alex_123_fra wrote:
overclockers.co.uk as they seem to support buyers with RMA requests. They are excellent with some other products I bought and returned. They receive the product back, send you a new one and then they chase the warranty claim themselves.

That, is worth a lot! cheers, I'll bear that in mind next time....

jollywombat wrote:
Best of luck Arne, I really hope the process goes smoothly for you.

After my issues, I would just buy the sound card even though its not right that the onboard failed. I actually do use an X-Fi titanium, mildly curious to check the onboard but perhaps ignorance is bliss right now, happy just to have the system running here again.

Thanks jollywombat! I am starting to think the same....maybe things could get a whole lot worse.

Glad you are sorted and up and running!!!:)

jollywombat
Level 10
Best of luck Arne, I really hope the process goes smoothly for you.

After my issues, I would just buy the sound card even though its not right that the onboard failed. I actually do use an X-Fi titanium, mildly curious to check the onboard but perhaps ignorance is bliss right now, happy just to have the system running here again.

chrsplmr
Level 18
ooooooh NO. 'et tu Brute?' .... This is seriously Aweful. I feel physically ill after reading this.
ASUS !!! 'We' beg of you, Stop the 'Bleeding'.

Although you are in Europe, I would PM @cl-Albert and see if he can effect some relief in this.
Hopefully he can put you in touch with the right 'voice'.
This is beyond ridiculous. You have a re-seller standing by willing and able to replace
(implying not a refurb on top of it) .. fully replace Your prized top of the line, i might add, MotherBoard.
WTFat ???
Hopefully 'he' knows a guy that knows a guy that has a number or something.
I am so sorry to read this brother.c.

@JollyWombat +. Respect to you bro.c.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Brute? who you calling a brute?....phew! If I didn't have a classical education that could have got a lot worse! 😉

Yes et Me chrs...

I love my board and don't want to part with it and am reliably confident that all that has died is one puny chip and that this may be par for the course. However it shouldn't have died and the RMA process is a bit time consuming and farcical.

If I think consumer rights etc. I would go all the way but pragmatism might be the better part of valour here and if a soundcard works I may say better the MB you know than the refurb you don't if it comes to that!

chrsplmr
Level 18
hahha .. except in this case, 'Caesar's' blade found Your groin, one of 'Caesr's' greatest allies too.
[[ now you see how I get into global/grammatical turmoil: Julius Caesar: William Shakespeare: Brutus
was the last ally that delivered the final blow .. in a very unkind fashion.]]

Sound card as an option:
Like putting new shocks on a car instead of get'n another. You know the care your 'car' has had
since new. New 'shocks' I think may be the best 'avenue'.
Love this phrase 'here' .. hehehe .. "... pragmatism might be the better part of valour ..." sorry to say.c.

Nodens
Level 16
Well there are a few benefits to the sound card approach..Better sound quality (Signal to Noise ratio) and lower CPU utilization while playing games.. Just stay away from Creative if you go that route:p
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Actually I should have asked you before I ordered......I got an ASUS Xonar Essence (I know ASUS again....Hey! It's a marriage...for better or worse)

Is it a sound card.... or perfume?

I'm going to end up wanting new speakers....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Actually I should have asked you before I ordered......I got an ASUS Xonar Essence (I know ASUS again....Hey! It's a marriage...for better or worse)

Is it a sound card.... or perfume?

I'm going to end up wanting new speakers....

The Essence STX is imho the best audio quality money can buy in the non-pro audio interface market (Pro is another level but so are the prices as well cause they start at the higher end of a 3-digit figure ;p). Since you jumped on the Xonar bandwagon, you will probably find this handy http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/ I use these drivers for the D2X on my test rig:)
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.