cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver stopped working

funnybiscuit
Level 9
I stopped playing Black Ops 2 because i had driver issues and i was getting weird pixels. I fixed that, by reinstalling drivers etc, but i still keep having the "Driver stopped working" notification after i play for a couple of minutes. It's highly irritating. Do you guys know any solution to this?

Thanks!

AkaJuu
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570K Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1600MHz RAM
MSi Radeon HD 7970 3GB Lightning Series GPU
Samsung 840 Series120GB SSD
Zalman Z11 Plus MidTower Case
NZXT Hale 90 650W PSU
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6 REPLIES 6

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey funnybiscuit 🙂

This might be down to a couple of things. does this happen on any other games or running something like Unigine to stress the GPU? I see your 7970 is a lightning...I presume it has a factory OC. That error is common if your OC is pushed too far sometimes....have you Ocd above and beyond factory OC etc.

It could also just be some driver game incompatibility.

Either way you could see if down-clocking the card with something like afterburner helps in playing the game more stably.

If the display driver also falls over running a GPU benchmarking test like unigine etc maybe the factory OC is not stable?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hey funnybiscuit 🙂

This might be down to a couple of things. does this happen on any other games or running something like Unigine to stress the GPU? I see your 7970 is a lightning...I presume it has a factory OC. That error is common if your OC is pushed too far sometimes....have you Ocd above and beyond factory OC etc.

It could also just be some driver game incompatibility.

Either way you could see if down-clocking the card with something like afterburner helps in playing the game more stably.

If the display driver also falls over running a GPU benchmarking test like unigine etc maybe the factory OC is not stable?

Whenever i play Black Ops 2, after a couple of min drivers stop working. Same with Dead Island but only during a sidequest that can be overlooked. But i've played Crysis 3 and i haven't had any problems.
I haven't OC'd before, small attempts to down-clock it after reading some others posts about similar issues on forums but other than that nope. Help me out? How can i down-clock it so it's a bit more stable?
I've 3DMark 11 on it and it didn't stop working.

AkaJuu
NZXT Hale 90 650W PSU
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well if it works fine running Crysis 3 and 3D11 I would start to suspect it's some game bug rather than the card itself.

To downclock it just download a program like Precision X or afterburner. they are really intuitive...just a couple of sliders to move...and in fact the only one you'd have to worry about is the Core clock slider.....just slide it down 10 or 20 points hit the apply button and then launch your game.

The only other thing to try would be un-installing drivers again but this time doing it in safe mode with something like Driver Fusion or Driver Sweeper to remove all traces and then re-install. Maybe make sure you have latest Direct X too things like that.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Well if it works fine running Crysis 3 and 3D11 I would start to suspect it's some game bug rather than the card itself.

To downclock it just download a program like Precision X or afterburner. they are really intuitive...just a couple of sliders to move...and in fact the only one you'd have to worry about is the Core clock slider.....just slide it down 10 or 20 points hit the apply button and then launch your game.

The only other thing to try would be un-installing drivers again but this time doing it in safe mode with something like Driver Fusion or Driver Sweeper to remove all traces and then re-install. Maybe make sure you have latest Direct X too things like that.

I've got Afterburner, i got it in a CD with drivers etc when i bought the HD7970. I downclocked it by 20 points as you said and played for around 30 min last night without a problem! It would only take me about 3-5 min before the drivers would stop working so i'm crossing my fixers and hoping this did the trick!
Thank you for your help! 🙂

AkaJuu
NZXT Hale 90 650W PSU

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey funnybiscuit you're welcome! Good stuff! If a card crashes with everything and this fixes it I would say the card needs to be sent back but because yours can handle some pretty tough loading and just seems to crash in this game I reckon your card is OK and just needs adjusting to get through the game on current drivers. Maybe next drivers or game patch and this will disappear.
Enjoy!:)

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hey funnybiscuit you're welcome! Good stuff! If a card crashes with everything and this fixes it I would say the card needs to be sent back but because yours can handle some pretty tough loading and just seems to crash in this game I reckon your card is OK and just needs adjusting to get through the game on current drivers. Maybe next drivers or game patch and this will disappear.
Enjoy!:)

Yeah, it was only this game. Had to stop playing cuz it was so annoying.
Hopefully next driver update will fix ^^ i have read it's got something to do with the ROG Mobo BIOS so hopefully they'll fix some stuff too!
Thanks again for all the help! 🙂

AkaJuu
NZXT Hale 90 650W PSU