cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Second Set of Eyes

Chef_Magnus
Level 7
Today I will be building a new system with a electrician friend. This will be my first build since losing sight in my left eye. He has no exp. assembling PCs. I have build hundreds. Anything that I should keep in mind as we put together the system? Here are the specs. Also thinking about adding a water loop to the on board block to get into water cooling. What would be a good starting setup that I can add loops to later?

Asus MVF MoBo
Intel i7 3770K CPU
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 4x8GB kit RAM
Asus GTX670 2x in SLI
Samsung 840 256 GB 2x in Raid 0 SSD
Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120 GB SSD (Travel Drive)
WD Blk 2TB 2x in Raid 1 HDD
Asus BluRay Optical
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Corsair Obsidian 650D
6 Asus PB278Q and 1 Hanns-G HG-281DPB monitors in a 3x3x1 mount

I re-tasked the top 200mm fan to the mesh side panel. I have two extra High Static Pressure fans, will they fit in a push pull config in the top of this case? Or will I have to mount them outside? If outside, is there a accessory shroud to enclose them? We have cats.

Thanks for your help in advance. I only have his services for one day. I hope to get this knocked out in an afternoon. I used to be able to do it all on my own.

Chef
Sys 1:
RIVE \ Intel Core i7-3970X \ Corsair H100i \ GTXTitan 6BG 2xSLI \ 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum \ Samdung 840 Pro 512GBSSDs R0 2x \ WD Black 2TBHDD R5 4x \ Corsair AX1200i \ Corsair 900D

Sys 2:
MVF*(UPGRD to MVE in May) \ Intel i7 3770K \ Corsair H100i \ Asus GTX670 2xSLI \ 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum\ Samsung 840 Pro 256GBSSD R0 2x \ Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GBSSD \ WD Blk 2TB R1 HDD 2x \ Corsair AX1200i PSU \ Corsair 650D
10 REPLIES 10

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey Chef Magnus! 🙂

Looks like a nice build!

If the components are sound should not give you any trouble.

The only thing I wonder about are connexions....two types.

One set would be the monitor connections just because I've never done that kind of thing....sounds great though. I guess to start up best just to use one card one monitor and then add the other card and then the other monitors. Nvidia have a display configurator to show you what to plug where etc.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/3dvision-surround/system-requirements

Th other are the SATA conexions...you will have to decide what to plug where. The top 2 are Intel sata II the next two down are Intel SATA 3 where you will want your RAID 0 SSDs the other four are AS media which are ok for optical and HDD but maybe not so good for that third SSD.... running a SATA 3 SSD on the Intel SATA 2 ports may well be better than running it on the SATA 3 ASmedia ports since the Intel SATA 2 are a true part of the chip-set and have lower latency etc. The only time that SSD would be better off on the AS media ports would be if you are doing large sequential reads or writes to it (not normal computing scenario).

You can put the controller in RAID and still plug in non raid disks....they'll just be treated as AHCI...

SKOONJar
Level 7
You have 5 drives if you like quick booting times I would think again. But other than that your list is proper and compatible.

billyray520
Level 10
I have a very similar handicap. My advice would be NOT to rush, but work slowly; Even if you only have your friend's help for a day, his inexperience will require patience. Maybe save him for the job(s) that are most problematic for you, while you tackle everything that isn't too hard. My field of vision is only 50% with no left vision at all. Still, I have depth perception. I didn't find any obstacles due to vision when I built my rig. In building my M5E, I realized that the manual is NOT necessarily in a good build order. For example the business about the MPCIe WIFI/Blue Tooth card is way at the end of the manual, but it must be all assembled and installed before you mount the board in the case. Also be sure you have a good idea about what options you are installing (like the OC key which also requires planning when installing the board into the case.) I have the Corsair H80i liquid cooling and it installed neatly in my Cooler Master case. I'm not familiar with the Obsidian, but I'm sure it must be roomy if you have planned to add cooling loops eventually. Good Luck and Best wishes! 😉
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

billyray520 wrote:
like the OC key which also requires planning when installing the board into the case.

he dont have the OC key on the M5F 😉
well you realy dont have to do water on the NB, its a option if your gona go the water way ( and cool CPU and/or GPU's )
you can get kits that does the CPU ( and you can add the NB to the loop too ) and EK have a couple kits you can get.
here is an exmaple : -> http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15036/ex-wat-200/Ek_H30_360_HFX_Advanced_Liquid_Cooling_Kit_-_CSQ_... <- this is the EK H30 360 HFX kit, its basicly a 360 radiator ( 3 x 120mm fan slots ) whit all the parts you need.
the fusiontermo on the M5F works as good on air, but if your gona OC more then what the air can cool then your have to do water on it.
the H100i is a good cooling solution for now, it can do OC to around 4.4 -> 4.7 over a couple to a few hours if you have good airflow and low ambient temp.
before mounting the mobo in the case, do a test run on the case it came in, to see if every ting works.
use antistatic wristband or hold one of the hands on the case or rest on it to ground.

Well, We had a rotten egg, I insisted on doing a bench build. He didn't think it necessary. But found that the memory slots A1 and B1 would not see installed chips and slots A2 and B2 were actually paired together, Asus tech support did not believe this possible so i sent them a cell phone video. They then wanted the board for testing in Indiana. They sent a UPS label and the new replacement will be here on Friday, We were able to get it to boot with memory install in the farthest from cpu two slots. We got into windows and ran Dirt3 for a benchmark and got 79 fps without oc the cpu or adding the 2nd gpu. We did not get that far into the build before the system had to be torn down to go to Asus. So this weekend we will try again. With him not knowing anything about the internal connectors we got the bench build done in about 75 minutes. So I expect to do it in about 40 minutes on Saturday. Does anyone have a system similar to this one that I can steal your bios settings. I want to OC to 4,6 or 4.7GHZ. Which should be possible with this cooling as it maxed out at 39ºC on CPU at full load in Dirt3 at 3.9GHZ turbo setting. I had been expexting it to run hotter being a ivy bridge chip. The MoBo was actually warmer at 42ºC than the cpu. We almost screwed the pouch when boxing it up and left the CPU on the board. Luckily wanted everything reboxed and found the CPU Box and figured out what had happened. So we cut open the box and saved the baby. I also tapped over the memory slots that where not working so it will be obvious what was wrong.
I am sorry about delaying my report about the build but had dialysis yesterday and adrenaline about the build only carried me so far...

Chef
Sys 1:
RIVE \ Intel Core i7-3970X \ Corsair H100i \ GTXTitan 6BG 2xSLI \ 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum \ Samdung 840 Pro 512GBSSDs R0 2x \ WD Black 2TBHDD R5 4x \ Corsair AX1200i \ Corsair 900D

Sys 2:
MVF*(UPGRD to MVE in May) \ Intel i7 3770K \ Corsair H100i \ Asus GTX670 2xSLI \ 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum\ Samsung 840 Pro 256GBSSD R0 2x \ Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GBSSD \ WD Blk 2TB R1 HDD 2x \ Corsair AX1200i PSU \ Corsair 650D

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
What happened Chef Magnus? don't keep us in suspense....did it come out all "Oeuf parfait" or half poached half scrambled? :rolleyes:

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Oh drat! Sorry about that Chef...hope they sort you out and you're up and running soon enough....

kkn
Level 14
get a tube of TIM to replace the used one on the H100 🙂
yeah its sucks to get a damaged board but whit the amount they spitt out theres always a baad one that slips past.

I have a, no kidding, 1 kilo tub of Céramique™ 2. Hardest part was getting just a little bit out. Until I got a syringe to put it in to for using it. And should be enough for 1000 cpus. My insurance got it for me after they paid for parts after a lightning strike hit my house and fried my whole house surge protector and lots of contents. But insurance paid for all the replacements after the surge company explained that it was almost a direct hit and it did it's best but was overcome by the amount of electricity. They said they if I had not had it that my house would have burned down...

Chef
Sys 1:

Sys 2: