cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46 vs G55 vs G75

AxleGrease
Level 7
Hello! I'm currently in the market to buy a new gaming laptop. Asus / RoG is my brand of choice, as I've only ever had great experiences with their products. I have a few questions that I have not been able to find answers to, and maybe you fine ladies and gentlemen can help me decide.

G46 - I love everything about it, except the horrible stock screen. I know the upcoming replacement is supposed to be 1600x900, but will it have improved color quality and contrast ratio as well? I'm also curious to know if there is a glossy screen option. I would really appreciate some in-depth display specs.

[Note] The stock screen is slightly worse than that of my Asus 1215n netbook.

G55- I would have most likely bought this prior to discovering the G46 recently, however the weight is almost as heavy as the G75. If I'm going the cumbersome route, why not just go with the G75? If anyone has experience with both, I'd love to hear your opinions on each.

G75- It seems like a great desktop replacement (I am indeed replacing my desktop for mobility requirements) however, the ease of portability comes into question. Does anyone have experience using this laptop on a plane, or variable locations? How is the battery life when simply using a web browser/word processing? Is it too massive for a coffee shop, or too noisy for a library?

What are the ms response times on each notebook's display? I'm coming from my Asus monitor with a 2ms GTG, and I ideally don't want to miss out on too many milliseconds. (lifelong CS player) I'm having a hard time finding display spec's such as this on notebooks, so I'm not entirely sure what is considered good in the mobile realm.

Final question: Do any of you use these for photo/video editing? I'm feeling that glossy would beat matte for such purposes, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

----> I'm looking for competition grade gaming quality with commercial grade video/photo rendering and display.

Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

Matrix_Leader
Level 10
Whatever you do, don't make my mistake by getting the matte screen. It looks like garbage! I can't wait till I sell this crap and buy a real laptop with a REAL screen.

Not to forget mentioning, the G75VW and I think the G46VW come with the crappy VIA Audio Chipset which is the worst chipset you could ever imagine with crippled sound and a sub woofer that doesn't work properly despite the many driver updates and yes you can improve it a little bit by manually adjusting the equalizer settings but it is nowhere near as good as the G73SW sound was with its awesome Creative built in sub woofer

stay away from ASUS for a while and get a real laptop like Alienware or Toshiba Qosmio

==================================================================
ASUS G75VW-T1086V
CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30/3.30 GHz.
Memory: 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz. RAM
Storage: 256GB SSD LiteOn LAT-256M3S + 1TB Seagate Momentus 5400 RPM HDD
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670M 3GB
Screen: 17.3' Full HD LED Screen
ASUS G75VW-T1086V
CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30 GHz.
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LAT-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus 5400 RPM HDD
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM

Wow, you are using one of the very new models as well huh? I've had a bad experience with Alienware in the past, so I can't imagine going back to them. Though, it was before they were bought by Dell.

AxleGrease wrote:
Wow, you are using one of the very new models as well huh? I've had a bad experience with Alienware in the past, so I can't imagine going back to them. Though, it was before they were bought by Dell.

Don't believe everything you read here at these forums. Most people only come here when they have a problem (or in most cases when they've created a problem /sigh) to complain and look for help. You'll not find the possibly thousands upon thousands of happy customers that haven't suffered a single problem, like myself. It's as the old saying goes, "The squeaky wheel gets the oil", and wheel likes DanishKid get extremely squeaky on this forum, no offense.

ZeroBarrier wrote:
Don't believe everything you read here at these forums. Most people only come here when they have a problem (or in most cases when they've created a problem /sigh) to complain and look for help. You'll not find the possibly thousands upon thousands of happy customers that haven't suffered a single problem, like myself. It's as the old saying goes, "The squeaky wheel gets the oil", and wheel likes DanishKid get extremely squeaky on this forum, no offense.

I agree with you. Strangely i ask many friends who owns Asus laptop, they say so far no problem. But when i go to Lowyat (electronic shopping complex in Malaysia) every seller says don't buy Asus. I bought G55, so far no serious issues.

Hmm... Thank you for the responses. I'm still trying to decide, so if anyone has anything they love or hate about a specific model, please do share.

AxleGrease wrote:
Hmm... Thank you for the responses. I'm still trying to decide, so if anyone has anything they love or hate about a specific model, please do share.

For G55

1)Placement of USB port is less than ideal. There is 2 usb port at right side. Suppose you want to plug something might hinder your mouse movement.
2)Rubber coating at the lid can came off expecially at the edge.

But i can live with that. Nothing serious. Other things is people say speaker is poor is not good. I cannot comment on that because i don't know better

AxleGrease wrote:

I'm a big fan of the G46. It's probably one of the most powerful and stylish laptops in it's form factor. It's really useful to have when going to LAN parties or when you need that level of portable power.

I usually carry something around in that form factor instead of my beastly 17in

I haven't really been bothered by the screen on the G46 or the G75xx (I had the CHI-MEI screen, was very grainy when viewed up close but wasn't a problem when at the proper useage distance)

It's on my list of things I'm super excited to sell once someone other than Best Buy and E-tail carries it (We prefer to deal with wholesale, less warranty issues that way 😉 )
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Matrix_Leader
Level 10
yeah man one of the new ones with SSD + HDD out of the box.

But I haven't been happy for 1 day since I bought this laptop. Crappy drivers from ASUS, ****ty screen! horrible sound! need I say more? read the threads here of the 100s of problems users are facing!

save your money man I'm giving you honest advice
ASUS G75VW-T1086V
CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30 GHz.
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LAT-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus 5400 RPM HDD
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM

TokoDude
Level 10
Hey Welkom to ROG ASUS FORUM!

1 Important thing you want a laptop where you can internet on your battery in a Internet Café.
Gaming/Performance laptops have always a low battery life. Why because they think most of the users will not use there battery much because of the performance
But the ASUS G75 has a very weak battery so keep that in mind that problem at this laptop is the low battery.
I recommend you a G75 above an Alienware or other gaming pc’s like BTO (Build to Order)
Alienware is very expensive and for the same species you pay at Alienware a few 200-350 Euro's more.
(i wanted first an Alienware but when i saw the price difference i chose for ASUS)

But Alienware is not bad. It’s made to upgrade CPU and GPU what ASUS G75 not possible is.
And if you order it the important thing is order a high CPU and Grapich card.
And RAM/HDD/SSD upgrade that by yourself because you the price at Alienware for an upgrade is 100% more the the normal price.
ACER PREDATOR G9-791 |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |16 GB RAM |GTX970M 3GB |FULL HD | 750GB SSD | Samsung 850 PRO & 2X M.2 SSD RAID 0
G75VW |Intel Core I7-3610QM |24GB RAM |GTX670M 3 GB |FULL HD | 526GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO & 850 PRO
GL552VW |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |12 GB RAM |GTX960M 3GB |FULL HD | 256GB SSD | Samsung