Level 7
hello asus member! sorry for being newbie 😞

i just build my rig last night and i really need some help about the following:

1. every time i turn my pc on i always get this msg:
Asmedia 106X SATA Controller Ver 0.93 AHCI Mode
S.M.A.R.T. Supported
Using PCIE Gen 2
Can't find any device.

2.how do i know that i have the latest bios and do i really need to update it?

3.im not really in to overclocking because i have no knowledge on it, i just need to set up my bios in a decent set up.

4.is this complicated and bad to my set up?as you can see on my signature that i have a 2x 4gb pc 12800 but then my OS is a window7 32 bit only. and my ram says 3.21 gb only.

thats it for now and please be patient on me:)

Mobo: Crosshair V Formula v 990fx
CPU: Phenom II 1090T x6
CPU Cooler: corsair H60
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX BE
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) pc12800
HDD: Ocz agility2 SSD 90G
PSU: Ultra X4 1000W +80 Gold
bios ver: 0506
case: cooler master HAF932
14 REPLIES 14

Sp33d_Junki3
Level 8
Says, Cant find device, as you dont have anything plugged into that port. Its the sata port that is not with the 6. its that single one in the bottom. Just go into your bios and disbale Asmedia sata port.
I advise you get windows 64bit, 32bit will only ever see 3-3.5Gb of ram. You need 64bit if you want to see more than 4GB.
Before you do any OC, you need to first get a 64bit OS, as it will affect your OC in windows.

There is a bios guide sticky, check it out.
ASUS-Crosshair-V-Formula-BIOS-Guide-Overclocking

Next, need to learn about cable management. Making your system looks nice and increase airflow. Routing your cables behind you mobo is the best way of doing this.
As a side not, 1K PSU, is over kill for your system, unless your planning to run more than 2 cards. Also best to flip the PSU the other way around, that way nothing can fall into your PSU, and cause damage or problems.
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__

My System Specs @ OCN
Asus Crosshair V, AMD X6 1090T @ 3.6Ghz with Coolit Vantage, 4x G.Skill Flare F3-14400CL7D 7-8-7-24 @ 1800 with OCZ XTC Ram Cooler, XFX 5870 with AC Extreme 5870 + VRM-R3
2x Corsair Force 115GB Raid 0 + WD Green 1TB + 1.5TB + Kingston SSD 30GB, Corsair HX750, Dell ST2410, HAF X, Asus Xonar STX, Superlux 668B, Zalman MC-1, Edifier S330D

chrsplmr
Level 18
Welcome lightning363..

WOW...Great job on this build. You are way ahead of most, myself included, when we first booted our V.
Yours booted. All the way...and since you have no real issues posted...CUDOS.
1. Exactly what Sp33d Junki3 said.. (yea..we see it too.)Disable it, ignore it, move on.)
2. The official bios releases are on the support page of your board
here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/Crosshair_V_Formula/#download
Betas are announce through the Crosshair forum section and there are 'stickies' there on 'How To'
3. No OC'ing? (Well nobody is perfect..JOKE...hahahaha) There are easy OC'ing and 'Auto Tuning' features
both in the mouse controlled bios and AI Suite II-but, stock already screams..it is all up to what you like, and
what you are using your computer for. (Just ask, someone here knows...)
4. Win7 32-- Exactly, if you want to see more than 3Gb in windows you will need 64--(Did you hear the
Linux guyz just groan?)
5. Again I have to agree with Sp33d Junki3, thats a CoolerMaster Case, those oval slots are for running
you cables through and behind the side panel..easy clean up.
6. I wrote a post from 'one semi-newbie here' to the 'next newbie here'. If you care to see or have time, I
wrote it to cut down the learning curve here, as small as it is, just the few bumps I had to get over.
Here: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?3181-Welcome-to-New-Members..Advice..Don-t-be-shy!!!

Enjoy. Relax.
One V at a time until they rule the world, or until BullDozer or next intel, VI is realeased.
Welcome.
Good to meet you.c.

lightning363
Level 7
@sp33d & chrs, thanks guys. the first hour when i turn my pc on i thought this 990fx ch is not stable, but now i'm starting to be happy. one more thing, is there a way that i can get rid of the trend thing when i turn on my pc?

5. Again I have to agree with Sp33d Junki3, thats a CoolerMaster Case, those oval slots are for running
you cables through and behind the side panel..easy clean up.

this ultra psu cable are kinda short. the 4pin cable that goes to the motherboard barely connect.maybe i'm just gonna move my psu to the top.

lightning363 wrote:
this ultra psu cable are kinda short. the 4pin cable that goes to the motherboard barely connect.maybe i'm just gonna move my psu to the top.

ATX extension cable:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4640
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

What instabilities you getting?

As for the ASMEDIA thing you said at first post, disable the ASMEDIA sata controller and that message will be gone, the ASMEDIA is the ODD sata port in the mobo, the one thats not angled at 90º, if you dont use it, disable it.

To get rid of the AMERICAN TREND stuff, you need to got to BOOT in bios (i think) and enable LOGO on display something like that.
You got the status checking option, so thats why it shows it.

Cheers, nice build, envy your case.
FX8120 @4.5 ATM / Crosshair 5 Formula / 4x4GB G.Skill 1866mhz / 3x HD 6950 1536 shaders / Corsair 950TX

Sp33d_Junki3
Level 8
The HAF 932/X all comes with 8pin Extension Cables. With a PSU like that, using the 8pin EPS is the best choice.
As you see here in my case, the top left corner there is a Black/Yellow cable, thats what came with your case.

Also as side not, you need to change your OS. You should be using Win7 64Bit. Never 32Bit for your system.

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__

My System Specs @ OCN
Asus Crosshair V, AMD X6 1090T @ 3.6Ghz with Coolit Vantage, 4x G.Skill Flare F3-14400CL7D 7-8-7-24 @ 1800 with OCZ XTC Ram Cooler, XFX 5870 with AC Extreme 5870 + VRM-R3
2x Corsair Force 115GB Raid 0 + WD Green 1TB + 1.5TB + Kingston SSD 30GB, Corsair HX750, Dell ST2410, HAF X, Asus Xonar STX, Superlux 668B, Zalman MC-1, Edifier S330D

lightning363
Level 7
thank you guys. @sp33d i think your right, it comes w/ a cable.

lightning363
Level 7
update for some cable management.

before:

after:

lightning363 wrote:
update for some cable management.

before:

after:

first wow that looks so much better. good job on your build man. I would suggest pointing the power supply fan out the top vent so the heat goes out of the case and not onto the mobo/cpu. I need to get a new case with cable mangment
MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
CPU: AMD 1100T Black Edition
RAM: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB 1866 (PC14900)
PSU: 1000W crap
GPU: 2x HD6850S
Primary HDD: 1TB SEGATE BARRACUDA
CPU COOLER: COOLMASTER V6 PUSH/PULL