cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hd led blink

drop4205
Level 12
I have noticed that my hd led for my samsung ssd blinks lightly every second even at idle doing nothing. Ran maleware bytes and found nothing. Ran maleware rootkit kill and found 1 virus which has been deleted. Is it normal for it to blink so many times? Running windows 7 pro. thanks
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11
5 REPLIES 5

Gorman
Level 12
Yes, it's fine.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey drop4205. Even though the disk is nominally "idle" in fact the PC is never truly doing nothing. It is constantly running bits and pieces in the background, antivirus, windows services and on and on and if the disk is "idle" it may start TRIM or garbage cleaning and all this will mean the OS is going to access the disk and the light will blink.

It may also have become sentient and be plotting to kill you but my psychologist advised me not to talk about this in public again so.......

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

It may also have become sentient and be plotting to kill you but my psychologist advised me not to talk about this in public again so.......

Ruh-roh raggy, looks like Judgement Day is nigh upon us :cool:

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Ruh-roh raggy, looks like Judgement Day is nigh upon us :cool:

Meet my psychologist.....

billyray520
Level 10
Do you have AI Suite II installed? That will buzz the hdd every second. Also other monitoring type softwares will do the same. That's how you get the constant temps/stats etc.
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7