cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A call to fan experts.

Nodens
Level 16
I believe we have some fan experts around here so I need some advice:p

I'm trying to find fans to replace the H100 fans. I'm looking for PWM fans that are MUCH more quiet than the stock H100 fans yet with high static pressure so that they'll be doing their job properly. I beliee the static pressure of the stock ones is 3.1mm/H20. The setup is push/pull of course.

I've been looking online for specs and these fans seem awfully sexy spec-wise. In fact the specs seem too good to be true:
http://www.cougar-world.com/products/fans/vortex_pwm.html

Does anyone have experience with these fans? Are the specs actually legit?

Also does anyone know of better fans that meet my requirements (Silent, PWM, high static pressure)?

PS I'm not looking for a "use that" answer but rather for an experienced opinion with details:)
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.
89 REPLIES 89

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
I have not used those fans mate, but not long ago I did help someone in the Max Owners thread who wanted good quality fans that were pretty silent and I was only able to recommend them. Also; MeanBruceROG uses...Sanyo Denki's I do believe, he says they are super quiet...though pricy. Can't recall if they are PWM though, pretty sure they are though. Hope this can help a little 🙂

Found them thanks:) It looks like they claim 17db which is very impressive but they're not PWM and only 0.06inchH2O which translates to 1.524mmH2O. That's a bit low for the dense radiator of the H100 considering the stock has 3.1mmH2O. The Cougar is supposedly at 2.2mmH2O at 17.9dB (if those numbers are legit of course heh).
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
Found them thanks:) It looks like they claim 17db which is very impressive but they're not PWM and only 0.06inchH2O which translates to 1.524mmH2O. That's a bit low for the dense radiator of the H100 considering the stock has 3.1mmH2O. The Cougar is supposedly at 2.2mmH2O at 17.9dB (if those numbers are legit of course heh).

No worries mate, happy to try help lol :cool:

Nodens
Level 16
Do you know the specific Sanyo Denki model? I'll have a look at them. Price is of no importance (as long as they don't cost an arm and a leg that is:)). I seriously want to lower the noise without losing performance. Summer is right around the corner and these stock fans on their max setting sound very annoying heh. The ambient temperature here during the summer is quite high at 40ish degrees Celcius. Air Conditioning unit is almost always on but still.. The stock fans are louder than the AC unit lol.

RealBench Developer.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Not a fan expert by any means but been through this choice myself so for what it's worth I'll add my 2 cents.

The Cougars are great and if you want a first hand account just ask Zka17 amongst others.

But for the H100 I would go for the Noctua NF-F12 pwm. I have these and really like them. The only reason I say this is the higher static pressure 2.61 which is more than the 2.2 of the cougars (they do have less air flow 93.4m3/h vs the cougars 120 m3/h and a bit more noise 18.6 to 17.9 db). I think for the dense radiator of the H100 the extra pressure will actually give you a bit of a better result.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Not a fan expert by any means but been through this choice myself so for what it's worth I'll add my 2 cents.

The Cougars are great and if you want a first hand account just ask Zka17 amongst others.

But for the H100 I would go for the Noctua NF-F12 pwm. I have these and really like them. The only reason I say this is the higher static pressure 2.61 which is more than the 2.2 of the cougars (they do have less air flow 93.4m3/h vs the cougars 120 m3/h and a bit more noise 18.6 to 17.9 db). I think for the dense radiator of the H100 the extra pressure will actually give you a bit of a better result.

Excellent! I just checked the specs out on Noctua's site. It seems that 2.61mmH2O is at 1500RPM which is rated at 22.4db. Still that's very very good (and insanely more quiet than the stock 35db). Yes, I also believe static pressure is needed to produce results with this radiator. So far these look more attractive than the Cougars! And I do trust Noctua's numbers much more (only reason for that was that I had never heard of the Cougars before I started researching this).

Ok these go at the top of the list for now! I'll PM Zka17 to check the thread as well:)

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
Excellent! I just checked the specs out on Noctua's site. It seems that 2.61mmH2O is at 1500RPM which is rated at 22.4db. Still that's very very good (and insanely more quiet than the stock 35db). Yes, I also believe static pressure is needed to produce results with this radiator. So far these look more attractive than the Cougars! And I do trust Noctua's numbers much more (only reason for that was that I had never heard of the Cougars before I started researching this).

The NF-F12's are most popular when it comes to quiet replacement fans for the H100/i. I know Linus highly recommends them, and uses them in his reviews. That's if you can put up with Notcua's horrid ugly vomit color scheme. That would be the only reason why I'd go with the cougars, as I find them more aesthetically pleasing, and performance isn't that far behind (if at all).

Hammersdawn
Level 9
Hi All,

Been thinking of doing the same, yet quite far from a fan expert, Nodens be really good to keep this thread going with your feedback once you have decided, I been considering 2x 120's under the rad, and 2x 120's above the rad, cant go larger due to chassis restrictions, also not sure of the real benefit on the additional 2 on top of the rad, as most of the threads I have read the results vary but average rating is about 1 degree in difference.
Case: NZXT Phantom
MoBo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB(4x4GB) DDR3 2400Mhz
GPU: Quad SLI - 2xASUS nVidia GeForce GTX 690 4GB
SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
SSD2: Crucial M4 256GB
SSD3: Crucial C300 256GB
Monitor: Samsung SA950 (1920x1080)