cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering the Asus g46vw. Help needed.

Mystery-_-Man
Level 9
Hey guys! I've been wanting to purchase a G46VW, and am wondering id I should get the one with the i5-3230M or the i7-3610QM. I would like a hybrid drive to start with, and will definitely get the one with the HD+ screen.

I am almost finished first year engineering, and am entering computer engineering as my discipline of choice next year. I am also part of an engineering 'club' which is handling various design competitions. I would like something that could run solidworks and autocad decently well, and something good for gaming (of course :D).

Here are my choices for purchasing this:

i5 version: http://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-G46VW-DS51-CA-Republic-Notebook-Processor/dp/B00BZSCJ9Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=elect...
and
i7-3610QM added by HIDevolution: http://www.hidevolution.com/asus-g46vw-bsi5n06-2gb-nvidia-gtx-660m-14.html

Any advice would be appreciated 🙂
7 REPLIES 7

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think it is for how much cost do you have, i think i7 will be better.

JwPwns
Level 10
If you don't want the hassle of openning the laptop yourself for the cpu upgrade then go with HIDEVO, their service is great, i just found out they offer to customize the logo lighting and keyboard lighting too. The price they are charging for the i7 isn't too bad, but you could save some money if you can swap the cpu yourself and sell the i5.
Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro

Do you have any idea if the i5 would be good for entering engineering. Using SOlidworks or CAD?

Mystery-_-Man wrote:
Do you have any idea if the i5 would be good for entering engineering. Using SOlidworks or CAD?

I'd go with the i7 for work like that.

Although a lot of those programs are GPU oriented, having a powerful CPU will definitely enhance the experience .

Also, be careful when using consumer GeForce products with software like that. Many features are disabled unless a Quadro is present. Contact your software vendor to ensure you won't run into that kind of trouble
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Mystery-_-Man
Level 9
All of those programs are running in the eng computer labs, which do not have quadro cards as far as i know. My i7-2600k and GTX580 in my desktop handle solidworks no problem. I uses the CPU for OpenGL stuff. Also, I don't really use solidworks much, because of my discipline. I can't imagine Computer Engineers using SW too much, if at all. I simply wanted something that could potentially use it, should the need arise.

So, the i7, HD+ monitor, and 1TB hybrid would bring the price to ~1400 USD (not very different from CAD) which may not be within my budget. I'll have to see when I get paid.

gypsymoth
Level 9
If you are handy with taking apart laptops, I would get the i5 and then upgrade to the i7 as needed. I think for your work, you'll definitely want to upgrade to 16 GB of RAM first. But if you don't want to take apart the laptop yourself, then I suggest you get the i7 right off the bat.

Upgrading the CPU is much more of a hassle then doing the same for the RAM. I think 8GB should be good for a while. I won't be doing anything awfully intense on it. I have a beast desktop at home for a reason. But, I think the i7 upgrade would be beneficial in the long run in terms of longevity and overall performance. RAM can wait.

I have to find some way to get $1400 to purchase this:

Processor
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM 2.3GHz (6MB Cache ...

Processor
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM 2.3GHz (6MB Cache, up to 3.3GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0) - installed by HIDevolution - $100.00

Thermal Paste
FREE IC Diamond on CPU + GPU - INSTALLED BY HIDevolution

Operating System
Genuine Windows® 8, 64bit, English
Keyboard Language
U.S. English QWERTY
Keyboard Backlight Color
White (Standard)
Video Card
NVIDIA 2GB GTX 660M GDDR5
LCD Panel
14.0" HD+ Antiglare with EWV (1600x900) LED Backli ...

LCD Panel
14.0" HD+ Antiglare with EWV (1600x900) LED Backlight - $125.00

Display Guarantee
Standard Asus Zero Bright Dot Warranty (not warranted a ...

Display Guarantee
Standard Asus Zero Bright Dot Warranty (not warranted against dead pixels)

Memory
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (2DIMMS)
Primary Hard Drive
1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive (Seagate SSHD) - installed by HIDevolution - $125.00
Wireless Cards
Intel® Advanced N + WiMAX 6250 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO Technolog ...

Wireless Cards
Intel® Advanced N + WiMAX 6250 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO Technology - installed by HIDevolution - $40.00

Bluetooth
No Bluetooth capability

Looks good?