New ROGer Array

Sabertooth Z77 - Ram is unstable above 1333mhz? Ivy Bridge = 1600mhz at least

Hey guys,

I am having some major instability issue with my current gaming rig. I have two 8gb pairs of corsairs dominator gts 2133mhz 9-11-10-27. It's currently 4gb x 4 at 1.5v. I am currently running a water cooling rig but I first tested the ram + cpu + mobo before setting it up and it seemed somewhat stable at first at 2133mhz using the XMP profile.

After setting up my water cooling rig, I cannot seem to get it past 1333mhz even at stock CPU frequencies. Ivy bridge is suppose to natively support 1600mhz but I can't get it to be stable at that point. I would randomly crash with memory problem or the programs I am using crashes.

Do you guys have any idea what the issue may be? I tried taking out the ram and changing the slots around and already did a memtest+ with all passes. I also tried bumping the volts to 1.51-1.55, clear CMOS, and updated to latest bios. I am currently running at 1333mhz and I would like the advertised ram speeds as I do a lot of video encoding. I am currently just lost at this point.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Good chance that some of your problems are being caused by combining two memory kits. Ideally, you should purchase a single memory kit rated at the timings and density you wish to run. Both the XMP and SPD will be for a single kit only, not two run in tandem. Getting them stable over DDR3-1333, load the XMP profile and then you may need to add +1 to the primary timings, and some of the "third" memory timings in UEFI.

New ROGer Array

That's a bit odd because I bought 2 of the same exact kits with the same timings and XMP. It's very odd because I already tested these sticks prior to installing my water kit and they were running fine at 2133. I am thinking I could have mixed the 2 kits on different channels which might cause this. I am going to try to increase the memory controller clock up a bit to see if it would help as many stated that having 4 dims uses up more power. Worst case, It's time to remove the water cooling block and test each stick.

I figured I should've just spent the extra 30 dollars and went with a 4 channel kit rather than 2 dual channel kits. I am hoping just to get at least the native 1,600mhz out of these sticks.
    Last edited by camborambo; 04-17-2013 at 12:30 AM.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Could you loosen your CPU water cooling block just a little and see if that helps your memory, or alternatively complete reseat your cooler. I wonder if the CPU is maybe over tightened and this is a contributing factor.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Quote Originally Posted by camborambo View Post
    That's a bit odd because I bought 2 of the same exact kits with the same timings and XMP. It's very odd because I already tested these sticks prior to installing my water kit and they were running fine at 2133. I am thinking I could have mixed the 2 kits on different channels which might cause this. I am going to try to increase the memory controller clock up a bit to see if it would help as many stated that having 4 dims uses up more power. Worst case, It's time to remove the water cooling block and test each stick.

I figured I should've just spent the extra 30 dollars and went with a 4 channel kit rather than 2 dual channel kits. I am hoping just to get at least the native 1,600mhz out of these sticks.
    Go to the Corsair Forums and you'll see all over the place that they do not recommend mixing kits of RAM...even if they are exactly the same model #, Timings, everything. And you will get one kit to 1600 and beyond...just please make sure both sticks match via serial number for greatest chance of success...or, send the RAM back to place of purchase and get a single kit of the RAM you wish for.

New ROGer Array

Thanks for the replies everyone. Currently, I cannot send the ram back since I just tossed away the boxes. The reason why is because I tested this rams together prior to installing my my waterblocks and it worked 100% fine using the XMP profile. They are the exact same serial #s. I will never mix kits again after having this issue.

I am going to go ahead and remount my water cooling blocks because it's extremely tight at the moment and this might have cause issues. It posted before so I cannot see why it is not doing it now. I already tried swapping the ram sticks around and testing them out and it just won't budge. Increasing the ram voltages and IMC volts does not help either.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    Could you loosen your CPU water cooling block just a little and see if that helps your memory, or alternatively complete reseat your cooler. I wonder if the CPU is maybe over tightened and this is a contributing factor.
    I just finished loosening my cpu water block and I am now able to boot up at 2133mhz with the XMP profile. I never knew that mounting the water block too tight can cause stability issues. My temps did increase slightly by 3-4c but the rams are now running correctly. I did a few intel burn and linx tests and no errors so far! I spent over 4 days after work trying to fix this issue in the bios

Thanks!

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

A pleasure to have helped my friend. I suspect that it was simply a single pin that has been pushed down and off its pad.

Take care.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Quote Originally Posted by camborambo View Post
    My temps did increase slightly by 3-4c
    Don't over loosen it either nice even presssure on all four corners...

And happy Bday!