cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help No Post Screen: Code A2

shadowman007
Level 7
I was testing my new build which has a Asus Maximus V Extreme motherboard I had a mouse & keyboard connected via USB No graphics card was using the on board graphics via HDMI cable. Also NO SSD/HHD or DVD drive connected. I powered up the system and got the post screen and went into BIOS done this a couple of times. However after a few minutes I powered on the system again but this time NO POST SCREEN? and got a code "A2" on the motherboard top right hand corner. I did remove the keyboard & mouse but no luck but this time I got a different code "D7" when I connected the keyboard & mouse back got the code "A2" again. Please can someone help me with this I would really appreciate it. I did check the codes in my Asus manual book and this is what the codes mean:

A2 = IDE Detect
D7 = No Console Input Devices are found ( This maybe understandable since I got this code only after I removed the keyboard & mouse)
12 REPLIES 12

billyray520
Level 10
Did you update your BIOS?
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

billyray520 wrote:
Did you update your BIOS?

I did have a look at the BIOS the first time I went into BIOS and the Version was 1501. But if the BIOS did need flashing it wouldn't have showed me the "Post Screen" in the first place or couple of times as I did power it off/on few times?

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Can you please list your complete system specs as detailed as possible for me, shadowman007?

Yes it's the following:

i7 3770K CPU
G.Skill 32GB (4 x 8GB) 2400MHz F3-2400C10Q-32GTX
Corsair AX1200W PSU

Those are the only components I have installed for graphics I was using the on board graphics via HDMI cable.
No SSD/HDD Or DVD Drive connected.

Chino
Level 15
Are you using the stock heatsink? And ss your heatsink plugged into the CPU_FAN header properly? Last but not least, are you using a TV or monitor for your video output?

Also please look beside the 24 pin power connector to locate 4 QLEDs. Do any of them stay lit?

Chino wrote:
Are you using the stock heatsink? And ss your heatsink plugged into the CPU_FAN header properly? Last but not least, are you using a TV or monitor for your video output?

Also please look beside the 24 pin power connector to locate 4 QLEDs. Do any of them stay lit?

Am using the Corsair H110 liquid cooler and the cable is plugged into the CPU_FAN header. I am using the Dell U3014 monitor which has a max resolution of 2560x1600. The 4 QLEDS do come on for a few seconds one by one but non of them stay lit.

shadowman007 wrote:
Am using the Corsair H110 liquid cooler and the cable is plugged into the CPU_FAN header

In that case, did you overtighten the screws when you were installing the H110? Try loosening them a little and power up your system to see if there is any video output. If not, that swap out the H110 for the stock heatsink. Let me know if any of the two fixes work.

Have you used the HDMI cable before to see if it's working? If possible, try with another HDMI cable or a DP cable.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Your system is outputting graphics it is just not being picked up. That code says you are in your BIOS by the way.

You could even do a F5 clear bios and enter. And then a F10 to save and reboot without seeing your screen if you wanted. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Chino wrote:
In that case, did you overtighten the screws when you were installing the H110? Try loosening them a little and power up your system to see if there is any video output. If not, that swap out the H110 for the stock heatsink. Let me know if any of the two fixes work.

Have you used the HDMI cable before to see if it's working? If possible, try with another HDMI cable or a DP cable.

HiVizMan wrote:
Your system is outputting graphics it is just not being picked up. That code says you are in your BIOS by the way.

You could even do a F5 clear bios and enter. And then a F10 to save and reboot without seeing your screen if you wanted. 🙂

Thanks guys for the help really appreciate it. Ok left the computer overnight didn't disconnect anything and when I powered it on this morning GUESS WHAT? Yes got the post screen and went into BIOS 😄 But the code "A2" is still showing and changes to code "AE" when I get out of BIOS but I think I can understand know why it's showing these codes because NO SSD/HDD connected but at least am getting the post screen today unlike yesterday all it was a blank screen that was worrying. Anyways I have updated the BIOS know to the latest version 1707 so fingers crossed nothing goes wrong. Also am seeing my full memory which is a good sign 32GB :cool: