Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Vicodin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    320

    Asus G46vw Owners- Want to upgrade that screen?

    Hello,
    So I was recently in contact with HIDevolution helping my friend order a new laptop. ( He is clueless on what is actually "worth" upgrading and what he needs and doesn't. Well I found that they are now offering the upgrade on the Asus G46vw screen from the 1366 x 768 to the 1600x900. Well, most of you who already have one are probably like "How does that help me?" Well not only do they offer the upgrade when purchasing, but they are willing to sell them singly for $100.00. So I thought I would put that out there to anyone looking to upgrade the screen in there G46vw. $100.00 seems like a pretty fair price. It also sounds like this is the only option because this will be the only screen with the right connectors, and with the right connectors in the right locations as of right now.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    147

    We need a real Asus G46 that comes with 900p screen straight from Asus Retail. What HIDevolution is doing is buying G46 from Best Buy with the default 768p screen and upgrading it with a 900p panel.

    What we need is a real retail diff version of Asus G46 that comes with a HD+ 900p screen and possibly an SSD.

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Vicodin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    320

    Quote Originally Posted by colpolite View Post
    We need a real Asus G46 that comes with 900p screen straight from Asus Retail. What HIDevolution is doing is buying G46 from Best Buy with the default 768p screen and upgrading it with a 900p panel.

    What we need is a real retail diff version of Asus G46 that comes with a HD+ 900p screen and possibly an SSD.
    I must say I agree with this. On the Asus Global website it does show new specs of the G46 as :i5/i7 1366 x 768/1600 x 900, also thunderbolt options. So I am sure they are on the way.

    Now I do see where you are coming from, and I do agree with you. BUT... the question is, what kind of screen will they put into it??? Will it be a nice, quality screen? Or will it turn out to be just like other G series screens. The dreaded lines issues people are having, poor contrast ratios, black levels, etc.

    It would not surprise me at all if the screen from HID is better than any Asus would use in factory built machines. Just a thought.

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    17
    Posts
    147

    Not sure Vicodin but i do hope the screen they put on is a non Chi Mei (CMO) because those panels are known to be very grainy like grease was smeared all over it.

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Vicodin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    320

    Quote Originally Posted by colpolite View Post
    Not sure Vicodin but i do hope the screen they put on is a non Chi Mei (CMO) because those panels are known to be very grainy like grease was smeared all over it.
    The screen HIDevolution has available for sale for the $100 is an AUO. I didn't get the exact specs, but the person I talked to said it is a nice bright screen, with good contrast ratio and black levels. I am not sure if Asus will use this same one or not...

  6. #6
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Reputation
    16
    Posts
    40

    Any one have the power spec for the new screen? Will it use more or less power than the original screen?

  7. #7
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    51

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicodin View Post
    Hello,
    So I was recently in contact with HIDevolution helping my friend order a new laptop. ( He is clueless on what is actually "worth" upgrading and what he needs and doesn't. Well I found that they are now offering the upgrade on the Asus G46vw screen from the 1366 x 768 to the 1600x900. Well, most of you who already have one are probably like "How does that help me?" Well not only do they offer the upgrade when purchasing, but they are willing to sell them singly for $100.00. So I thought I would put that out there to anyone looking to upgrade the screen in there G46vw. $100.00 seems like a pretty fair price. It also sounds like this is the only option because this will be the only screen with the right connectors, and with the right connectors in the right locations as of right now.
    Hi i think that you've made a mistake on the price of the upgraded LCD panel. Last i check was $125.

  8. #8
    ASUS Reseller Array Shawnnepc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    128
    Posts
    886

    If I recall, Best Buy had exclusivity rights on the first launch.

    There's a few international SKU that have the 900 screens but are not allowed to be imported into the US. (ASUS units are generally region locked, meaning they can't be sold outside their country.)

    With this late in the generation I'm not sure if we'll see a G46 released with the 900 screen to resellers. I've put in a number of requests for updates but haven't really heard anything solid. ASUS tends to do whatever it feels will do the best for the current market (The VX was supposed to be a Microsoft store exclusive, yet was moved into the wide market due to consumer demand)

    I would wait and see what ASUS will be doing with the next gen.




    Quote Originally Posted by Vicodin View Post
    I must say I agree with this. On the Asus Global website it does show new specs of the G46 as :i5/i7 1366 x 768/1600 x 900, also thunderbolt options. So I am sure they are on the way.

    Now I do see where you are coming from, and I do agree with you. BUT... the question is, what kind of screen will they put into it??? Will it be a nice, quality screen? Or will it turn out to be just like other G series screens. The dreaded lines issues people are having, poor contrast ratios, black levels, etc.

    It would not surprise me at all if the screen from HID is better than any Asus would use in factory built machines. Just a thought.
    USA ASUS Reseller
    http://www.neteffectspc.com

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Djask's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    129

    To be honest, I've been fine all my life with 1366x768. Can someone convince me to upgrade?
    Asus G46VW
    i7 3630QM | 750GB Hard Drive | 1080p Full HD Display | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | GTX 660m | Windows 7 Ultimate

  10. #10
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    20

    Auo

    Just chiming in real quick. We do have the 1600x900 display panels for the G46 both as an upgrade to the standard display as well as a separate part for do it yourselfers. Here is the spec sheet of the AUO B140RTN03.0 upgrade panel.

    http://www.hidevolution.com/images/d...140RTN03.0.pdf

    We plan to have a video up shortly as well to show you guys how you can do the upgrade yourself.
    HIDevolution
    Computers \ Electronics \ Mobile Devices

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •