cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I finally got one...

1ceTr0n
Level 11
After years of putting it off until they were in the $100 range and the technology to mature, I finally decided to just go for it and bought myself a shiny new Blu Ray player yesterday at Coscto, gotta love paydays!

Did a lot of researching as I normally do for my toys, I tried a Panasonic model a few months ago and I did really enjoy being able to stream Netflix and watch movies and shows using Redbox, I forgot how enjoyable it was just to sit down and watch a movie instead of playing games all the time.

The panasonic BDT 220 model from 2012 I tried had some issues that annoyed me, namely the Netflix buffering was piss slow, the Viesa interface is really laggy and a pain to use and loading times were not that great, but picture quality was great, even on m old Sony DLP TV. I took it back and decided to wait to see how the 2013 models faired.

Some more research and I finally decided it was time to swallow my hatred for Sony and give them another shot. Picked up a new Sony 510 *Costco model of sony BDP 5100* and its much, much better all around then the Panny 220. The Netflix loads MUCH faster then the panny by far and hardly buffers at all on my 30 meg to get HD feed where as the Panny would damn near take 5 minutes to get full HD going. Watched True Grit and The Hunger Games and it looked awesome on the 510, damn near Blu ray quality by my eyes. I'm using gigabit ethernet in my house so I can't comment on the wireless usage.

Drive is pretty quiet in the short time I tried a Blu ray "The Last Starfighter" It is annoying that it keeps spinning the disc even if your using Netflix or something else, it seems to be a sony trait apparently. Remote is much easier to use and handle then the Panasonic 220 model IMO. Menu interface is very similiar to the PS3's but its quicker and easier to use then the old Viesa interface on the Panasonic 220 which was just horrid.

Watched Captain America via Netflix and it looks awesome, the sony loads and buffer SOOO much faster then the panasonic, and a 30meg cable connection helps. Rented SkyFall from Redbox and even on my old Sony TV at 720p, it looked freaking awesome! I can't believe I held back buying a blu ray this long!

In all, im pretty dang happy with this new 510*5100* for my first Blu Ray player. Now I just need a new TV for either Xbox 720, PS4 and then i'll be really set.

5 REPLIES 5

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Nice setup 1ceTr0n....absolutely no need to leave the house!! 😉

1ceTr0n
Level 11
Yeah, I hope to upgrade to a new Samsung 60" LCD later this year for either a PS4 or Xbox 720, but moving outa state and getting a new job takes priority.

kkn
Level 14
why console when you have a pc??

kkn wrote:
why console when you have a pc??

Because I enjoy and can afford both

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nice set up mate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.