cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QFan suggestions for the awesome Maximus boards

pcunite
Level 8
Problem:
I would like fan automation capabilities to be present in the UEFI (BIOS) directly. Having just purchased my first ROG board I felt this feature was missing. Software running at the operating system level (Fan Xpert II) is very nice and looks pretty but I prefer the logic to be safely away from the user outside of the operating system.

Solution:
Improve QFan (QFan II) such that chassis header's duty cycle can be configurable similar to how it can be done in Fan Xpert II. Three options should be available for each chassis header: Base, Threshold 1, and Threshold 2.

• Base:
  • Entering a starting ("base") fan RPM value. If you enter a value that is too low, it automatically defaults to the slowest the fan can spin at.

• Threshold 1:
  • Choose which sensor you want to trip on: Motherboard or CPU. Set what the fan RPM should be when this is reached.

• Threshold 2:
  • Same as option Threshold 1.

Concerns:
Programmatically speaking, it is trivial for BIOS programmers to make fans spin at 100% when known unsafe temperatures occur due to user error.

Sample photoshopped GUI suggestion:

i5-3570k | V Gene | HD 4000 | Crucial M4 256GB | Fractal Design Mini | NEC 2490WUXi2
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15
What you're looking for is already implemented into the Maximus Series motherboards actually. If you set your fan profile to Manual, you get access to serveral options to do exactly what you stated.

Chino wrote:
What you're looking for is already implemented into the Maximus Series motherboards actually. If you set your fan profile to Manual, you get access to serveral options to do exactly what you stated.
Agree with Chino. ASUS fan control, through BIOS, is one of the best in market. The only thing I would like to see in manual mode, is more choices in temperature values to pick or better, freedom, to enter any value I want, without restriction.

pcunite
Level 8
Okay, I have the Maximus V Gene and don't see the options you gentlemen do. I can set a max duty, but only 60%.
i5-3570k | V Gene | HD 4000 | Crucial M4 256GB | Fractal Design Mini | NEC 2490WUXi2

nikosa43
Level 12
Hi Pcunite, if you you choose manual, don't you have a menu appeared with a low and a high threshold with options to set temperatures and duty cycles? Let's say, you set for the high threshold a limit for 65 Celsius and you set duty cycle 60%. For low temp threshold, under 40 Celsius you set a duty cycle of 30%. Also on the info of the screen says, (if I remember correctly), says that if temp goes over 70 or 75 Celsius, duty cycle is 100%.

pcunite
Level 8
nikosa43,
I am referring to chassis fans, not the CPU fan ...

pcunite wrote:
nikosa43,
I am referring to chassis fans, not the CPU fan ...

Hmm....You are right. in Max V F, Chassis fan headers 1,2,3 have this feature. Chassis Fans OPT 1,2,3 have limited control 😞