cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73SW LED Mod! Afterburner LED's + Under LCD. Controlled by Keyboard Backlight.

Muratus
Level 10
Well back again with more mods on my G73M.

I really liked some of the afterburner LED mods that I've seen, but what I didn't like is the lack of control on them. Plus I really missed the LED's under the Monitor that my old JH had. I killed 2 birds with one stone on this one. I got my power from the Keyboard backlights, so now everything responds to the FN + F3/F4, to brighten or darken the LED's. The LED's are actually a 2nd set of the keyboard backlight that I removed from a damaged JH keyboard.

Here is how I did it:

The first 2 pictures are showing where I tapped the power from the Keyboard backlight ribbon cable. The top trace is the +. The trick on soldering a ribbon cable is to keep the solder joints as low profile as possible.

This picture is the first test if the keyboard backlight could handle 2 sets of backlights. It had no issues to the mod is on.

I actually ending up adding more LED's, by splicing a extra section of LED's from a 3rd set of Keyboard backlights. This requires some very delicate soldering.

So after allot of soldering, some wires and plugs. I ended up with this. You can see the 2 smaller sections have plugs, they are for the exhaust vents. I added the plugs so the install would be easier plus if I need to take the laptop apart again it can come out in parts.

Here is the final LED strips. I attached the rows of LED's to some clear plastic for mounting.

Here is the first test of the new LED parts attached to my keyboard. I used the 3.5V line from a desktop PSU for this test. I did this to make sure there was no shorts before I installed it in to my G73.

This is a picture of how I routed the power from the Keyboard backlight ribbon cable. It will go in though that hold that you can see the power button ribbon cable.

This shot is the first time the new LED's are power by my laptop. As you can see everything is working as it should. Time to install.

Here is the new LED's installed under the LCD. How I missed that glow under the LCD! I really wonder why Asus removed that from the SW.

Here is the Afterburner LED's installed. You can see my plugs and wires.

And here are the money shots after everything is reassembled.

I may revisit this mod later. I'm not totally happy how the lights are like little spot lights. I need to figure out how to defuse the LED beam affect, so it's more of a even glow. For now it's pretty cool.

So anyway, another planned mod checked off my list. Still have a few plans in the works. My SW actually looks more like a JH at this point. See if you can notice all the JH features that I've put on to my SW.

Well let me know what you think or have any questions.
Asus G73M (Used to be G73SW-BST6 now renamed to M for the Muratus edition)

• Intel Core i7-2630QM
  • 1080p (1920x1080) LCD (upgraded)
  • Samsung pm830 256GB SSD
  • Sansung 750GB 7200rmp 2nd HD
  • Bluetooth ( added )
  • Blu-ray/DVD ( upgraded )
  • Windows 8 Pro 64bit

Mods:
11 REPLIES 11

billyray520
Level 10
Looks kewl! I like the way the light look. Nice job man.
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

DDustin
Level 7
You need a diffuser in front of them, an opaque white piece of plastic. 90* GI flashlights come with them but you can also use thin clear plastic and sand it till its foggy. Plastic film will work too but you'd have to be careful roughing it up.

Another way is to turn the lights around. Instead of pointing towards the vents, point the LEDs away and let the lights reflect off the inside of the laptop. It'll create ambient light inside the laptop and create the affect your looking for.

Where did you get the LEDs? All I could find to do this were either sticks or individual diodes. I count find anything on a tape like that.

Also does the G74 come apart the same? I disassembled the whole thing and couldn't get the lights to separate from the keyboard.
G74SX-3DE
I7-2670QM Processor 2.2-3.1GHZ
3x4gb DDR3 1333mhz RAM
Crucial M4 256gb SSD + Stock 750GB 7200.4RPM HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB vram GDDR5 DX11

Muratus
Level 10
I've redone some of it already. I sanded the blue off of the light under the LCD. It helped the beam affect a little. Still playing around with it. Looks cool as white light.

The LED's are the backlight strips from 2 broken G73 Keyboards. I took all the layers apart and removed the backlight strips. They are pretty delicate though, I had to resolder a couple of them back down. I'll post a picture of the keyboard layers here in a little bit. Need to fire up the laptop to get them.

• Intel Core i7-2630QM
  • Bluetooth ( added )
  • Windows 8 Pro 64bit

Mods:

this is freaking awesome. at some point when the original Afterburner mod came out, i had ideas about making an adjustable LED exhaust light, but i was unsure how to do it.

this is perfect. something to consider would be replacing the strips with a single or double led light. might take away the spot light effect and give a more diffused glow. i'm considering trying this on my G51vx. maybe a blue or red glow.

i'd like to set up one at the exhaust vent and one on the underside where my vent mod is. that way if you lift up the laptop you can see the blue glow underneath and at the exhaust vent.

Muratus
Level 10
Thanks Grungeboy.

I mostly used the strips because they are a stock part from the G73, I knew the voltages are right for where I was tapping the power from. Plus that way it would work with the Keyboard backlight controls.

I've turned the under LCD light strip to not point straight down, which really helped the spotlight affect but not completely cured it. I also sanded off the blue so the light is white. Looks cool, but still not that same glow that the JH's had. I'm still tinkering with it. My next mod is going to greatly change the inside of the LCD housing so I'm going to revisit then as I'm sure I'll have to find a solution for how it's in there as the space is going to be used up.

Under lights would be killer. I was thinking about using some clear rubber casting resin to make new rubber feet for the laptop, but casting a ED inside it. That would make a cool glow plus serve a purpose.

• Intel Core i7-2630QM
  • Bluetooth ( added )
  • Windows 8 Pro 64bit

Mods:

mechanisma22
Level 7
I just picked up a used G73SW-BST6 for a decent price and first thing I found was this thread, it looks really cool. I wonder if it would be any harder to do RBG LED strips with a small switch for each color. Maybe an idea is put a small thermistor on the CPU/GPU blocks and I think they sell a little board that would change from blue to red depending on the temperature. It's a crazy idea but would be pretty cool. I looked around the access door and it looks like there's lots of empty space to do even more mods pretty easily without too much fishing wires.

I use to have a macbook and this laptop is way more modular and modable than the macbooks I love it so far, especially dual drives. Also I couldn't find a thread about swapping the 900p screen to a 1080p screen, is there any trick or model LCD I should look for?

Welcome to the forums @mechanisma22! That would be a really cool idea, I would love to see pictures when you complete it! 🙂 Unfortunately, I don't know that much about the electronics, so I cannot help you there. 😞 Upgrade to 1080p screen if you can! 17.3" is the size that you want.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

I used this guide when changing my own screen on G73jh. I would imagine that it is nearly identical for the SW.
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

mechanisma22
Level 7
Cool thanks. Yeah I've been playing with it and while it's 2 years old it can play bioshock infinite without any frame drops. Having an 120GB SSD really makes a difference. I like this LED mod though it's probably more than I want to mess with for now, I might pull the DVD drive and just stuff a thrid drive if possible and if I do I'll fish the wires for LED's, I like the idea of lights coming out of the fan grill. I've also been looking at sparkfun.com for their small LCD displays, maybe run a LCD display like the logitech G35 keyboards have built into the laptop case.