Network monitoring

G'Day Gent's

Just want to ask a about a network monitoring tool that will be able to monitor the bandwith usage of all users on a wifi network with the possabilities of regulating there up/down speeds and the amount of data that can be set for each user ?
    what's the best one ???
    free or paid ..... !!

ROG Enthusiast Array

If you want to control, then you need all their network packets to flow through the software. Sounds like a good fit for a Linux router running any of the popular offerings. I have not done this myself so I don't have an exact suggestion.
    i5-3570k | V Gene | HD 4000 | Crucial M4 256GB | Fractal Design Mini | NEC 2490WUXi2

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

+1 You won't be able to install anything on your PC to do this (unless your PC acts as the router for the entire network)

If you have a router that supports DD-WRT then you can do all sorts of interesting things without adding hardware. Otherwise you can take virtually any machine with two network connections and install Smoothwall. The nice thing about a full blown setup with smoothwall or similar (pfsense, etc) is that it's Linux at the core so if it doesn't do everything you need you can usually add it manually.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array B0UJI's Avatar

Untangle: http://www.untangle.com/

It's a firewall/router software for linux. Run that between your internet and wireless and that can track who's using what and limit by IP/MAC address (free) or even by AD account (paid addon).

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    +1 You won't be able to install anything on your PC to do this (unless your PC acts as the router for the entire network)

If you have a router that supports DD-WRT then you can do all sorts of interesting things without adding hardware. Otherwise you can take virtually any machine with two network connections and install Smoothwall. The nice thing about a full blown setup with smoothwall or similar (pfsense, etc) is that it's Linux at the core so if it doesn't do everything you need you can usually add it manually.

Will have a look at this...cheers