cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Formula Anti-Surge

muriscone
Level 7
Hello, I was looking for some help if at all possible.

I have not long finished installing windows 7 to my new machine only to be harassed and delayed with setup by the M5F Anti-Surge protection. Initially, this wouldn't "first boot" windows and kept cutting off the power to the machine as a power surge had been detected. The only way around this was to disable the anti-surge protection 😕

So I checked out the ram and it was not configured correctly, I had to change from target 1333 to 1866, also configured "auto" voltage to 1.500. I have enabled the anti-surge protection via the mobo bios again.

This seems to have got me past the anti-surge protection warning however, windows just cuts out without warning or explanation now.

xcase 900w dolphin psu
corsair dominator platinum ddr3 1866
maximus v formula
i5 3570k
vertex 3 120gb ssd
bios 0804 (I am dubious about touching the bios right now with power problems... )

Any suggestions perhaps? Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

Chino
Level 15
That's a PSU problem in every 9 out of 10 cases. Is your PSU new? And if it's possible can you borrow another PSU to test?

muriscone
Level 7
Thanks for the quick reply Chino. PSU is brand new, everything is 🙂 I should be able to borrow one later today perhaps. Cheers for the suggestion, I will definitely try that 🙂

muriscone
Level 7
Update: Been stressing out my old 550w bequiet PSU on this thing for the past hour, Chino you appear have found the cause of my problem and I'm loving you right now, cheers!

Chino
Level 15
You're welcome, my friend.

Nowadays, a lot of brand new components arrive DOA or partially defective. You should be able to return the Xcase PSU to the store where you bought it. See if you can pay the price difference and get a unit from Corsair, Seasonic or even CoolerMaster. A high end build like yours deserves a quality PSU. 😉

HiVizMan
Level 40
PSU's are very important. Some of the lesser known brands are a bit suspect. Read reviews if need be but always ask questions from real people users.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

muriscone
Level 7
Lesson learned, don't be such a cheap ass on the PSU 😕

I have requested an RMA from retailler and am looking at purchasing Corsair TXM850.

feniks
Level 11
PSU are the most important part of your setup ... I learned it the hard way a few years back ... and again a year ago 😉

FYI, the Seasonic PSUs, also rebranded by many vendors under their own logo on certain models, seem very good and delivering very clean power. It would be my choice when getting a new one (if I was in the market now), that or Enermax (a bit pricey choice).

Other brands/models using Seasonic internals are e.g. (not limited to, 1 yr old listing):
Corsair AX650, AX750, AX850, HX450, HX520, HX620, HX650, TX650v2, TX750v2, TX850v2, CX400
Antec NeoECO, NeoECO C, TruePower Trio, TruePower New, HCG-400, HCG-520, HCG-620, HCG-M
NZXT Hale82
All XFX
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W, 750W, 760W, 910W, Silencer Mk. III
*source: http://www.overclock.net/t/1228220/which-psus-are-rebranded-seasonics#post_16694704
.: R3C0NF1GUR3D :.
ASUS MVE :: 3770K bench @ 5.2GHz (delidded) :: 2x4GB Mushkin 996990 @ 2400MHz CL10 @ 1.7V :: evga 670 2GB SLI @ 1280/7108 :: Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD RAID0 (OS) :: WD RE4 2TB (storage) 2TB :: Hitachi Deskstar 5K300 2TB (backup USB3.0) :: ASUS VG248QE 24'' 144Hz monitor

My rig with pictures
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nice bit of information there feniks.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.