cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G74SX-A1 Keypad Problem

tripinva
Level 7
Hello, all:

I recently purchased the Asus G74SX-A1. In fact, I'm typing on it right now. I love the machine as it has amazing specs, a very well designed cooling system, fantastic screen, and all the important stuff (not keyboard backlighting) worked with Linux either out of the box or with single steps to install proprietary drivers. I love it with two exceptions.

The first is the keyboard in general. I'm pretty sure this is not a bug, but I am used to keys that I can hit at the edge and get a result, but these keys seem pickier about my finger placement. I'm slowly getting used to it, though the space bar in particular is very picky and seems to be the key I'm most likely to fail to press successfully. (I was worried about missed key strokes but that doesn't seem to be what's going on here.) I'm also having trouble adjusting to the huge touchpad, but that's neither here nor there. 🙂

The second is the numerical keypad. The problem is that, well, it's not a numerical keypad. The keys are simply duplicates of the top row number keys, rather than mapping to the normal separate keypad bindings. This is problematic in multiple ways. In some games, these keys can be used for shortcuts. In my case, I use them in Linux for certain global shortcuts that I use a lot, like volume control. With them bound to the top row keys, the keypad keys cannot be reassigned without eliminating the use of the top row keys as well. The other major problem I am aware of is that in Windows, it is impossible to use the Alt+xxx shortcut to insert non-standard symbols. While I'm sure the menu-based functionality can also insert those symbols, it is significantly less convenient. I can imagine gamer college students buying this computer and finding themselves having a very hard time typing for foreign language classes.

I sent in a support e-mail more than 48 hours ago but have heard nothing, so I'm posting here. Is there any chance that a BIOS update might be released to fix this issue? I am fearful that this was implemented in hardware and is thus not fixable without a hardware replacement that I doubt Asus would do. I don't care about the availability of Num Lock, I just need them to be mapped separately so I can use them for shortcuts that I am used to using. I've got another week to decide whether to keep the unit or send it back, and I'm very much on the fence primarily because of the two keyboard issues, of all things.

Thank you for any thoughts. They are much appreciated. 🙂

- Trip
55 REPLIES 55

Retired
Not applicable
Try downloading the newest ATK drivers and reinstall the current ones you have.

tripinva
Level 7
Already did that when I thought there was something wrong with the keyboard with regard to the key presses.

I am reasonably certain this will require a BIOS update if even that will fix it, since this issue impacts both Windows and Linux.

- Trip

tripinva
Level 7
Is it typical for an Asus support e-mail to be ignored? The one I sent on this subject has been submitted since Friday evening and I've yet to hear anything. I really don't want to have to call the support phone number, but it's looking like there may not be an alternative if it is policy to ignore e-mails.

- Trip

xeromist
I'm not sure if the email support works weekends but even so it has been nearly 2 business days. I would call because you never know what may happen to an email. At least talking to someone directly you can get their name and know that you have been heard.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

tripinva
Level 7
Well, I called and asked about the issue and after telling her I had already done the ATK update and advised that the problem existed in Linux as well as Windows (thus negating the "perform a system restore" part), I was advised to download Winflash and perform a BIOS update. Which is all well and good, except that there do not seem to be any BIOS updates available for the G74SX. I told her I hadn't seen any when I looked two days ago and she said there is one available. Clearly, not so. Wonderful.

So I'm in Windows (yuck) at the moment downloading and installing the new video drivers since I was already here anyway in case support wanted me to perform any steps in Windows. I can't help but notice that the keyboard isn't as picky now with the new ATK driver as it was in Windows when I got it nor as picky as it is in Linux. I would very much like to know what was changed so that perhaps I could see about getting it implemented in Linux.

- Trip

tripinva
Level 7
Wow, this is a hoot. Apologies for linking to another forum, but I don't even have words for how ridiculous this is.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/595604-asus-g74sx-number-pad-problems.htm...

I hope someone from Asus is reading who can put this to the right person for a BIOS fix.

- Trip

Chastity
Level 10
That would be me, and I already submitted the request up the ladder. I was confirmed it's a work in progress.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

tripinva
Level 7
Thank you! I am very appreciative. 🙂

I am patient, just wanted to know work was in progress on it.

- Trip

Chastity
Level 10
No problem, I submitted an issue about this when I got the machine and played with it. However, all the forum and review site attention about it has put a proverbial fire under the buttocks. 🙂
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]