cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here is where we all start... Lookig for some initial steps to OCIng...

_COSMO_
Level 7
Hey ALL! Pretty kewl you guys are doing this. 😃

Well, I'm a noob (yup a rookie) and need guidance on the OCing. I simply just want to use it for a few games that I enjoy, but don't feel I'm getting the max out of my G75VX. I just upgraded the ram to 16, and I suppose I could go to a faster HD. Which will help the transfer rate (or so I'm told).
I'm reading all this info and I'd like to at least try it.

Don't want to go into it alone !!!

So who's gonna help a brotha out?
G75VX
Nvidia Geforce GTX 670mx
ASUS vg248qe
16 GB ram
1 TB 6400 R SATA 2.5
Windows 8
Saitek Throttle and Joy Stick
Saitek Combat Pedals
Track IR 5
6 REPLIES 6

13fist
Level 10
evga precision X and MSI afterburner, I would say, are the top goto apps for OCing the video card. Just take it up in steps, and watch your temps and you should be fine. if you start seeing driver crashes or excessive temps, back it down a bit.
3dmark, available on steam, or the non-pro version for free, is a standard benchmarking tool to give you a guideline on what OC setting will give the best performance. There is a point where performance will actually stop going up and even drop a bit. This is usually a power limitation as we can't control the voltage like a desktop card.

Setting up your os on an SSD is probably the single biggest step in performance you can make. Myself and many others here have done so and moved the factory HDD to the second drive bay for storage use.

Anymore questions, just ask. Lots of good helpful types here.

Thank you.
G75VX
Nvidia Geforce GTX 670mx
ASUS vg248qe
16 GB ram
1 TB 6400 R SATA 2.5
Windows 8
Saitek Throttle and Joy Stick
Saitek Combat Pedals
Track IR 5

*COSMO*, I've got good news and bad news for you. And some side notes.

Good news: Yeah, you can overclock, and yes, you will absolutely see the benefits it has. Overclocking the 670mx will bring tons of frames, especially since the cooling on the system can handle it.

Bad news: Nvidia actually put an artificial cap on how much you can overclock a laptop's core clock by (15%, I believe). which means your core clock can never be above 115% of it's normal clock. With that said, you also can't touch shader clock, and toying with memory clock won't bring you much benefit either. Since you can't overclock anything BUT the core and memory clock, you'll burn out the chip's VRU very, very quickly.

Side note: Get an SSD, you won't regret it. Ever. I got one, never looked back at my 5400.

I use the MSI Afterburner. It does help quite abit. I can tell the difference in frame rates. I run one ASUS vg248qe. external monitor with Saitek Throttle Stick and Combat Peddals with the Nividia 3d glasses and Track Ir Pro. All of which are on an external usb adapter. The mouse and the adapter are the only items using the usb port which is then plugged into an outlet otherwise it drains the power

I'd still like to OC it and get the most out of it as possible without frying it. I max out the settings on the MSI.

I will be adding another ASUS vg248qe monitor. As is I get 144 hertz and it all seems to gel nicely. Always room for improvement though which is why I'm adding another monitor. I hope that it runs the 3d and the 144 on both monitors.

IF there are some alternatives to MSI I'm up for it.

What ya got for me?

Thanks guys!

COSMO

13fist
Level 10
LOL

So 8 months later, hows that OC working out for you?

You folks are great. Really.:cool:

Which SSD is the best one for the set up?

Thanks bros!