cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Scree on startup

Retired
Not applicable
Hi All,

Just received my laptop (G73S), and already having a problems with it.

When turning it on, the 3 blue lights and power turn on, the keyboard lights flash on, the lights at the front show power, charging, hard drive activity
but there is no screen at any point

I tried plugging in an external screen but no change

I tried adjusting the brightness, no change.

Booted just battery, and AC and both no chance

Sometimes the capslock and numlock do work and light up, but it eventually stops working, especially if adjusting its settings

It does appear its loading windows, usually before loading the OS pressing the power once is enough to restart, and windows you need to hold the power down.

About the only thing that was done different, is when turning it on for the first time the middle button was pressed to turn it on, but ive tried pressing it alot and all the other buttons..

any suggestions, or is this going to be dead on arrival.

Thanks

Kalaith
35 REPLIES 35

Chastity
Level 10
remove battery and AC, and hit the power button like 10 times. Wait a minute, then reassemble.

You can also check if any of the memory or hdd's are mounted properly.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
I got exactly the same problem but sometimes, at random, the laptop starts up. I tried the steps you suggest but nothing happened. Is this issue about software or hardware?

380mcn
Level 9
RAM. my 2 cents on RAM. run goldmemory or any other kind of software.. http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
You can even remove all the stick of ram, and insert 1 and restart windows .. remove previous and install other stick in the slot.. sooner or later you'll know which stick is the faulty one..

JRd1st
Level 12
Well, do you mean it doesn't POST, or it starts up but you have a black screen?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
Well, do you mean it doesn't POST, or it starts up but you have a black screen?

can you get to the BIOS or nothing is displayed?

JRd1st
Level 12
Do you see the Asus Logo?

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
The laptop always starts up, but somethimes it shows the Asus logo and load windows normally, and many times it doesn´t.

JRd1st
Level 12
OK, this could be a bad HDD, RAM stick, or other things. But probably a bad RAM stick.

The normal thing to try is to remove one HDD at a time Start up to see if the problem is gone, then replace it if it's good to eliminate bad HDD's. Next follow the same procedure with the RAM sticks to eliminate a bad RAM stick. But since you have a G73 I don't know how hard that is. So try opening your bottom cover and reseat the HDD connectors you can easily get to.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

380mcn
Level 9
once again.. RAM..