cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best way to take photos of build?

Chef_Magnus
Level 7
Hi there.
i got my build finished but I am not happy with the photos that I took last night.
I was thinking of taking a lot of photos with different focus points and use focus stacking to get a combined finished image. I was also going to use a quadrapod over the open case and reflected light from the ceiling to make sure that I did not have very many shadows . For equiptment i was going to use my Canon 5DMK3 with a 50mm f/1.4L lens. I was going to use my iPad to control via wifi to minimize shake. Which areas of the system would you use for focus points?
I am planing all this to past the hours at dialysis....
Chef
Sys 1:
RIVE \ Intel Core i7-3970X \ Corsair H100i \ GTXTitan 6BG 2xSLI \ 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum \ Samdung 840 Pro 512GBSSDs R0 2x \ WD Black 2TBHDD R5 4x \ Corsair AX1200i \ Corsair 900D

Sys 2:
MVF*(UPGRD to MVE in May) \ Intel i7 3770K \ Corsair H100i \ Asus GTX670 2xSLI \ 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum\ Samsung 840 Pro 256GBSSD R0 2x \ Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GBSSD \ WD Blk 2TB R1 HDD 2x \ Corsair AX1200i PSU \ Corsair 650D
5 REPLIES 5

IntoxicatedPuma
Level 9
+1, I'm kinda wondering the same. I usually use a 10-20mm macro lens but it doesn't always come out looking that great. I think alot of it has to do with the lighting.
GF's PC: Sunmilo ITX / ST45SF-G / Gigabyte A88XN / AMD A8 7600 / Silverstone AR06w/Noctua 92x14mm / ADATA 2x4g XPG / Sappire R7 370 2GB Compact / Crucial BX100 250g / WD 2.5 1TB HDD
My PC: FT03-T / ST60F-PS / Asus P5G41T-M LX Plus / Intel Q9550 / Intel Liquid Cooling Solution / 2x4g Crucial Tractical Tracer / PNY GTX 550 ti 1GB / Crucial M4 64gb SSD / 2x WD 3.5 1TB HDD / Samsung T260 Display

Chino
Level 15

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Try to get as much light as possible from different angles to eliminate shadows and photograph from a tripod at f16 in Aperture Priority to get maximum depth of field....if you use flash use bounce...

I've found 50mm is probably the worst focal length for this....either go macro or wide angle like 14mm or shoot a tele...85 135 200mm

D700 user:cool:

Chef_Magnus
Level 7
Thanks I will give all of those things a try. Should I just do a quadrant style focusing instead of trying to focus on certain items??? I was going with f/1.4 50mmL to cause inside the case is should a low light area. I tried using direct lighting and got harsh shadows everywhere in the case...

Chef
Sys 1:
RIVE \ Intel Core i7-3970X \ Corsair H100i \ GTXTitan 6BG 2xSLI \ 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum \ Samdung 840 Pro 512GBSSDs R0 2x \ WD Black 2TBHDD R5 4x \ Corsair AX1200i \ Corsair 900D

Sys 2:
MVF*(UPGRD to MVE in May) \ Intel i7 3770K \ Corsair H100i \ Asus GTX670 2xSLI \ 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum\ Samsung 840 Pro 256GBSSD R0 2x \ Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GBSSD \ WD Blk 2TB R1 HDD 2x \ Corsair AX1200i PSU \ Corsair 650D

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
thing is if you focus on something up at f1.4 the depth of field is going to be so thin that everything not in the exact same plane as your focus point will be, well, out of focus. You can do lovely arty bokeh shots like this. Like focusing only on one detail such as a logo etc. while everything else blurs away.....

At f16 you will have the depth of field to get a lot more in focus but stopped down so far you will need a much longer exposure and hence the tripod. Aperture priority will set your shutter speed for you if you select the fstop.

don't get me wrong the 50 will provide perfectly great results and the resolution of the 5DmkIII means that you can crop stuff at will and maintain a good size for publishing to the web.....

Shooting into a case is quite difficult actually....I have tried it....I resorted to having the camera on the tripod and just to one side a diffuse shaded table lamp for light so the shadows are almost cast from the same place as the lens is pointing and so don't show up. (i.e. lens and light source almost at same point.... and you know what, I'm damned if I can find the pics....annoying....but they were quite good honest!

I kept ISO at native (which for the D700 is 200) to keep noise down and just shot long exposures via remote to eliminate shake......you have your iPad for that....