cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time building a PC lookinf for advice

Rinehart
Level 7
Hello,

I am a avid gamer and first time builder. I am a bit of a enthusiast when it comes to nice things. I am looking for advice on hardware compatibility. So far have a: ASUS|RAMPAGE IV EXTREME X79 2011 MB and a CASE CM|HAF X BLUE ED RC-942-KKN3 R. So i am wondering if these components i already have and the following ones i would like to buy will work at peak performance together.

Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
Kingston HyperX Beast 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133
CORSAIR HX Series HX1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD
(2) ASUS GTX680-DC2-4GD5 GeForce GTX 680 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0-GONNA SLI THESE!\
CORSAIR Hydro Series H90 Water Cooler
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

And to reiterate i ALREADY have ASUS|RAMPAGE IV EXTREME X79 2011 MB and CM|HAF X BLUE ED RC-942-KKN3 R.

So my question is will there be any problems with the performance of these components like will anything be "bottlenecked" or will anything not be compatible. And any general advice for a first time builder would be much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance and wish me luck 🙂
3 REPLIES 3

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Rinehart.

Your setup looks top notch. Everything was picked out perfectly. 😉 As for general tips for a first time builder, I have a few.

1. Inspect your motherbord for any bent or missing pins.
2. Make sure to test everything before putting it into the case.
3. Do not overtighten the screws for the H90.
4. When you're screwing them in, do it in a criss cross pattern.
5. Make sure you seat the RAM properly. You will hear a faint click when they're properly inserted.
6. In regards to the RIVE, make sure all the switches for the PCIe lanes are on and the slow mode swtich is off.
7. Last but not least, do no update the BIOS unless facing any problems.

Have fun building. 😉

kkn
Level 14
on the memory, get one kit, dont mix kits ( one 8x8gig kit ) and the board takes quad channel memory. ( if i dont remember wrong )

Thank you guys very much, im really excited to get this started. I wish i had the rest of my components! Need more monies!