cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seemingly Dead Maximus V Extreme: No Q-Codes

Avalonstar
Level 7
Hello to my fellow Maximoids! Name's Bryan. I'm new to posting but not to lurking. Love the community here as well as my Maximus V Extreme, so I hope I can get a little advice. 🙂

I've had my system running fine with no major problems since I got the parts in November of last year (http://pcpartpicker.com/user/avalonstar/saved/Z8Y). However, all of a sudden after playing a round of Dota 2, my system suddenly shut off. I pressed the case's power button a few times with no avail. I then pulled the case's side cover off and tried to press the Power button, which was still illuminated (along with the BIOS light and reset button) also to no avail.

Startled, I perused the forums and landed upon this post by HiVizMan: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24991-Maximus-V-Extreme-No-boot-post-beeps-or-Qcodes&p=1810...

That user was experiencing the same failure as I did, so I'm following the instructions that are in that post. Other than that, are there any other precautions or solutions I should be thinking about before I sadly and ultimately RMA the board? This happened so suddenly that I'm really not sure what the problem could be.

I guess we'll see what happens when I attempt to power it on tomorrow.
11 REPLIES 11

WeRNothiNg
Level 10
I'm afraid motherboard or PSU, or at least that would be my thoughts. If tomorrow shows no improvement, see if you can find a loaner PSU. I have had some power supplies get weak before dying and cause some weird happenings.
**i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz~ Cooler Master V8 ~ Asus Maximus V Formula ~ G Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB DDR3-1600 ~ Thermaltake Black Widow 850W 80+ Bronze ~ Kingston HyperX 3K 120G SSD ~ 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
~ WD 500GB ~ 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti TOP 2GB ~ Philips 1080p 39"**

[IMG][/IMG]

WeRNothiNg wrote:
I'm afraid motherboard or PSU, or at least that would be my thoughts. If tomorrow shows no improvement, see if you can find a loaner PSU. I have had some power supplies get weak before dying and cause some weird happenings.

You could be right about the PSU, considering the way it shut off on me.

WeRNothiNg wrote:

You could be right about the PSU, considering the way it shut off on me.

SUKARA
Level 10
So,if you try to do once "CLRTC" setting have no change?
Did you try to simply the hardware device? only installed 1pcs memory,cpu,and graphic card...
Then,re-start the motherboard for test it again

If still can't sloved the issue,maybe you can plan to sent the motherboard to reapir and detail check by asus service center

under the link is asus contact service center information for your reference:
http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

SUKARA@ASUS wrote:
So,if you try to do once "CLRTC" setting have no change?
Did you try to simply the hardware device? only installed 1pcs memory,cpu,and graphic card...
Then,re-start the motherboard for test it again

Unfortunately none of that helps. The power and reset button illuminates as well as the BIOS LED, but pressing the buttons does nothing.

Chino
Level 15

Avalonstar
Level 7
Thanks WeRNothiNg, it was the PSU. Couldn't wait so I grabbed a loaner and tried it out. IT'S ALIVE AGAIN! 😄

Avalonstar wrote:
Thanks WeRNothiNg, it was the PSU. Couldn't wait so I grabbed a loaner and tried it out. IT'S ALIVE AGAIN! 😄

Awesome, glad to be of service. 😉
**i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz~ Cooler Master V8 ~ Asus Maximus V Formula ~ G Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB DDR3-1600 ~ Thermaltake Black Widow 850W 80+ Bronze ~ Kingston HyperX 3K 120G SSD ~ 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
~ WD 500GB ~ 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti TOP 2GB ~ Philips 1080p 39"**

[IMG][/IMG]

HalfBit
Level 7
So nice to see a happy ending!
LOL