cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see new hard drives in BIOS!

Lawdor
Level 7
Hey guys,

wasn't sure where to post this. This is the first PC I've built myself so I'm learning as I go.

Specs
Windows 8 Pro
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb
Maximus v Extreme
Samsung 840 pro 512
2 x 1TB WD Velociraptor HDD
GTX Titan
Soundblaster ZXR

Cannot get the two HDD's to mount, can't see them in the Windows administrative tools > drive management. Poked around the BIOS, not sure, but couldn't find anything! Any ideas? Any and all help appreciated.

On a side note, it took ages to get the ram working properly, the first two DIMM slots caused error code 55 until I updated bios and reset the xmp profiles. Took a long time to figure that one out!
8 REPLIES 8

red454
Level 11
Stupid question - but did you setup the partitions properly?

"Cannot get the two HDD's to mount, can't see them in the Windows administrative tools > drive management."

Are you trying to access them from another computer?
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

Guessing not, I didn't do anything with the drives except boot from disc and install on the SSD, I'm a massive noob, who's happy to have gotten this far! So what do I do?! Thanks

Usually the HDD manufacture has software available (Western Digital, Seagate, etc.) that you get from their site that will do the partitioning and formatting. There are many third party utilities too. And Windows can do it within the Disk Management window (from another computer).

I have used minitool too.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/

Anyway, the drives have to be partitioned and formatted first. You can set them up as bootable or data drives, depending on where you intend to install your OS.

I have to hit the road for a business appointment, but this should get you started. And others here will certainly add their input too...
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

Granamere
Level 7
OK so on your motherborad you have a ton of SATA ports. You will notice the 2 on the right are black and the rest are red. The 2 black are 3G the rest are 6g. If you want to see the drives in BIOS they need to be in the two connectors next to the 2 black ones. They will still work in the others just fine but you will not see them until you are in windows.

Make sure you have loaded all the drivers for mthe ASUS disk that came with the motherboard.

On the ram. If you only have 2 sticks make sure they are both in the black color slots.
CPU: I-7 3770k
Cooling: NZXT Kraken X40
GPU: evga Titan Superclocked Signature
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Extreme (BIOS 1707)
Memory: Corsair Veneance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866 (Timing 9-10-9-27)
Sound Card: built on motherboard or Logitech g930
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Case: Rosewill THOR V2

WeRNothiNg
Level 10
I use Acronis. It can make you a bootable disc, and that always seems to work when windows does not.
**i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz~ Cooler Master V8 ~ Asus Maximus V Formula ~ G Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB DDR3-1600 ~ Thermaltake Black Widow 850W 80+ Bronze ~ Kingston HyperX 3K 120G SSD ~ 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
~ WD 500GB ~ 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti TOP 2GB ~ Philips 1080p 39"**

[IMG][/IMG]

HiVizMan
Level 40
Lets just back track a bit please.

You said this is your first build. Can we assume that your two HDD are new too?

If so then you will not see them as yet.

You will need to go into the disk management.

Here's How:

Swipe up from the Start screen and touch the All apps icon. With a mouse, right-click on the Start screen and click the All apps icon.

On the Apps screen, scroll or swipe toward the right and locate Windows System.

Click on or touch Control Panel, located under the Windows System category.

Windows 8 open Control Panel on the Desktop.

Click on or touch the System and Security link.

Note: You won't see System and Security if your Control Panel view is set to Small icons or Large icons. If you are on one of those views, just touch or click on Administrative Tools and then skip to Step 6.

In the System and Security window, click or touch the Administrative Tools heading, located at or near the bottom of the screen. You may need to scroll down to see it.

With Administrative Tools now open, double-tap or double-click on Computer Management.

With Computer Management now open, click or touch Disk Management, located on the left-hand side of the Computer Management window, under the Storage heading. If you don't see it, you may need to expand Storage by clicking or touching the |> icon next to it.

Disk Management may take several seconds to load but will eventually appear to the right.

You can now format a hard drive, change a drive's letter, or whatever other task you were planning from Windows 8's Disk Management utility.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks for the input guys, Acronis software did the trick, it picked them up straight away and let me petition them. Cheers!

WeRNothiNg
Level 10
Glad to help. Acronis is good stuff, it is easy to use, and it is more reliable than disk manager.
**i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz~ Cooler Master V8 ~ Asus Maximus V Formula ~ G Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB DDR3-1600 ~ Thermaltake Black Widow 850W 80+ Bronze ~ Kingston HyperX 3K 120G SSD ~ 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
~ WD 500GB ~ 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti TOP 2GB ~ Philips 1080p 39"**

[IMG][/IMG]