cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Speed fluctuates between 1197 and 3093 Mhz.

Matrix_Leader
Level 10
In the past, my CPU was always stuck @ 3093 Mhz. when I was on the high performance plan and it increased the speed as needed on demand thanks to the Intel Turbo Boost.

Recently what I did was, I tried downgrading to the original BIOS thinking it will give me options to play around with the CPU clock speeds but it didn't. So I went back to BIOS 223 which I had before and then this problem started.

I formatted my system many times, tried the original Intel Chipset Drivers, tried the latest Intel Chipset Drivers, but that didn't change a thing.

Keep in mind that my power plan is set to Power4Gear High Performance and minimum CPU state on Battery and while plugged in is 100%

Anyone know how can I fix this?

Now everytime I open CPU-Z I keep seeing the speed alter between 1197 and 3093 Mhz. randomly 😞

ASUS G75VW-T1086V
CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30 GHz.
Memory: 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz. RAM
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LAT-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus 5400 RPM HDD
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Screen: 17.3' Full HD LED Screen
14 REPLIES 14

UnAimed
Level 9
The CPU is equipped with Intel turbo boost and speedstep technology so it will automatically adjust it's speed according to it's needs even when running in Asus Power4Gear performance mode. You can force it to go in Turbo boost mode by using a third party program such as Throttlestop

http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/?did=41

UnAimed wrote:
The CPU is equipped with Intel turbo boost and speedstep technology so it will automatically adjust it's speed according to it's needs even when running in Asus Power4Gear performance mode. You can force it to go in Turbo boost mode by using a third party program such as Throttlestop

http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/?did=41

I know about Turbo Boost and also know about Throttle Stop.

I don't want to use Throttle stop

What I'm trying to see is, why is the CPU dropping down to 1197 Mhz.?

I thought it should always be @ 2.3 Ghz. and overclock as needed but not be at 1193 Mhz.
ASUS G75VW-T1086V

TokoDude
Level 10
If open CPU-Z i have around 3093 MHz

Have you checkt a performance test if it's really at that speed you have?

Try the Windows performance index

its here:
Control Panel \ System and Security \ System

you should have an 7.8 for your processor
ACER PREDATOR G9-791 |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |16 GB RAM |GTX970M 3GB |FULL HD | 750GB SSD | Samsung 850 PRO & 2X M.2 SSD RAID 0
G75VW |Intel Core I7-3610QM |24GB RAM |GTX670M 3 GB |FULL HD | 526GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO & 850 PRO
GL552VW |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |12 GB RAM |GTX960M 3GB |FULL HD | 256GB SSD | Samsung

TokoDude wrote:
If open CPU-Z i have around 3093 MHz

Have you checkt a performance test if it's really at that speed you have?

Try the Windows performance index

its here:
Control Panel \ System and Security \ System

you should have an 7.8 for your processor

No man, my CPU score is 7.6 (Windows 7 X64) and it has always been like this.

Can you please tell me how to get your CPU score? are you measuring this score on Windows 7 or 8?

Which BIOS are you using? chipset drivers?

please help me Im your friend
ASUS G75VW-T1086V

Dr4g0n36
Level 10
Because you have a notebook, not a shuttle XD so Asus programmed the speedstep to be able to downclock CPU due to energy saver and the battery mode...so...it's just a number...do you really need to push it CONSTANTLY @2,3? even if you are downstairs at lunch or you are opening a txt file? The important thing is that your CPU can reach 3 GHz in turbo mode when you need it, not Always... IMHO obviously

Dr4g0n36 wrote:
Because you have a notebook, not a shuttle XD so Asus programmed the speedstep to be able to downclock CPU due to energy saver and the battery mode...so...it's just a number...do you really need to push it CONSTANTLY @2,3? even if you are downstairs at lunch or you are opening a txt file? The important thing is that your CPU can reach 3 GHz in turbo mode when you need it, not Always... IMHO obviously

ok thanks, I guess ill just live with my notebook being a 1.1 Ghz. POS with a crappy matte screen.

This is the last ASUS notebook I'm buying

Oh yeah, and whoever said that ASUS are good at updating their drivers? IF you check their drivers download section it is very disorganized and outdated. one notebook has newer Intel Chipset Drivers for example then u see our gaming laptop with outdated drivers.

they only update drivers if someone reports a problem but not for performance improvement
ASUS G75VW-T1086V

DanishKid wrote:
ok thanks, I guess ill just live with my notebook being a 1.1 Ghz. POS with a crappy matte screen.

This is the last ASUS notebook I'm buying

Oh yeah, and whoever said that ASUS are good at updating their drivers? IF you check their drivers download section it is very disorganized and outdated. one notebook has newer Intel Chipset Drivers for example then u see our gaming laptop with outdated drivers.

they only update drivers if someone reports a problem but not for performance improvement

we need updates!!

WontonNoodle
Level 8
lol what

matte screen is way better than glossy
and you don't need your CPU to be running at full speed
the only time you actually need 3.2 ghz is when you're actually doing cpu intensive work like video production and encoding and stuff

running at full clock just wastes energy

The CPU has always down clocked to 1.2GHz, ALWAYS. You just failed to notice it before.