cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I send my G55vw to Asus repair centre?

skyrider
Level 8
Hey guys

I bought my G55 nearly 10 months ago and when I put it under full load to play graphically intensive games
the temperature of gpu would go up to high 70s

nowadays it goes up to high 80s and so i contacted asus about this problem and they said I should send it in
and they will take a look (my laptop is otherwise completely fine, its just that gpu temp is a little too high)

the thing is, I've seen plenty of posts in this forum about people's laptop being sent in only to have them returned
either unfixed or loaded with even more problems... I really don't want my laptop to end up like that.

It's not like may laptop crashes or anything from overheating, its just that the numbers worry me a bit.

should i send it in?
6 REPLIES 6

TokoDude
Level 10
Do not send it!

you need to open your laptop and clean your FAN there's a lot of dust inside if you never cleaned it in 10 months.

So i suggest clean it by yourself it's done in a few minutes.

Then look again what the temperature is.

If you don't know how to clean your laptop safely i can give you the steps or a link.
ACER PREDATOR G9-791 |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |16 GB RAM |GTX970M 3GB |FULL HD | 750GB SSD | Samsung 850 PRO & 2X M.2 SSD RAID 0
G75VW |Intel Core I7-3610QM |24GB RAM |GTX670M 3 GB |FULL HD | 526GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO & 850 PRO
GL552VW |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |12 GB RAM |GTX960M 3GB |FULL HD | 256GB SSD | Samsung

Well, the thing is i really don't think its the dust in the fan. There were two times when I forgot to turn off my laptop and just put it in my backpack only to realize around 30 min later that it's still on, at which point the laptop would be super hot. it was only after this kind of thing happened twice that the temps really started going up. otherwise it was fine

TokoDude
Level 10
😛 you know that dust is in the air and your fan takes it and the filter. it's always and almost everywhere. (not only in your backpack)

i cleaned a friends laptop that had never cleaned it before well in 1 year there was a lot of dust inside it and i cleaned it and temps where much lower then before.

it's like this: http://www.thetechcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/27888df1an04-420-90.jpg
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/rawgroup/rawgroup1204/rawgroup120400024/13104972-laptop-dirty-fan-...

the heat you have inside your computer will not escape easily because the dust blocks the entry so you really should open it and clean it.

So the dust is really blockading the air flow in your laptop thats the problem. And the only thing is to clean it. it's simpel trust me.
ACER PREDATOR G9-791 |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |16 GB RAM |GTX970M 3GB |FULL HD | 750GB SSD | Samsung 850 PRO & 2X M.2 SSD RAID 0
G75VW |Intel Core I7-3610QM |24GB RAM |GTX670M 3 GB |FULL HD | 526GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO & 850 PRO
GL552VW |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |12 GB RAM |GTX960M 3GB |FULL HD | 256GB SSD | Samsung

yeah i guess trying to clean the fans wouldn't hurt. except its ridiculously complicated to get to the fans in g55..i pretty much have to take apart the entire thing, which has scared me off til now

ZeroBarrier
Level 10
You don't take the fans out...

YouTube cleaning G55/G75 fans for easy tutorial on using canned air to clean the fans.

skyrider
Level 8
i tried that and found one video on cleaning g75. g55 doesn't have the bottom access panels to the fans like the g75 so I don't really have any choice but to take it apart to clean the fans properly. otherwise i'd be just blowing air in from the heat emission, which would just nudge the dust further into the machine. or do you have a video link? if you could give me one i would really appreciate it