cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New System Build, Booting Issue:

Aronis
Level 7
Hi, I am having an issue with booting. When I first built the system it worked fine. Its only been a couple of weeks since the first boot.

Now when I try to boot I get a low moaning sound and then nothing. Then after holding the power button and restarting I get a screen after the ROG screen showing the list of drives and an error:

Please Enter Setup to Recover BIOS settings
Press F1 to run setup.

I just hit F1 and then the setup runs, I hit F10 to save and exit and reboot. Nothing....fan's spinning....not much else.....

third time "Error loading OS"

When I first built this system I used my old case (was having issues with adequate cooling, old full tower, but would overheat if I ripped DVDs...) so I bought an 800D...It worked great with regard to cooling, I never got a temp over 60.....

On the list of drives in the BIOS setup my second DVD does not show up.

And I cannot find any access to my drives number 7 and 8 on the second SATA controller. The AS Media SATA controller.

I found that the BOOT priority had changed and my SSD was no longer the default (where the OS lives.)

It booted normally...

both DVD drives show up...as well as all hard drives...

Strange behavior....

Mike
ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z, AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX680 x 2 in SLI, 16 gig G-Skill Trident, Crucial M4 SSD,
Corsair Obsidian 800d, Corsair HX 1050, Windows 7 Ultimate
8 REPLIES 8

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Hey there, all you need to do is go into your BIOS, in the boot tab, click on Hard Drive BBS Properties and make sure you force choose your Boot drive as your #1 priority and you're good to go 🙂

Seems rather strange, but every once in a while boot order seems to go haywire lol.

Aronis
Level 7
Thanks for the feedback...I just did a shut down and reboot...it came up ok......

I'll start taking notes on it's strange behavior. I found this helpful in the past on prior systems that acted weird. It's hard to keep track of all the little changes you do along the way unless I write it down. LOL...

I'd love to turn on hotswapping but I am not sure that will ever work. There is no setting in my bios that I can find for that function. Others worked me through the steps but the item they point to does not exist in the bios.. There are no new BIOS's available for this board yet.

Mike
ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z, AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX680 x 2 in SLI, 16 gig G-Skill Trident, Crucial M4 SSD,

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
No need for notes mate, just search the Forums lol and I don't know anything about any hotswap functions on the Crosshair boards unfortunately...I don't even recall seeing anything in the manual either.

Aronis
Level 7
I am not sure its even possible....

But....

The two drives on the SATA 7 and 8 (the ASMedia connector) show up on the "Safely Remove Hardware and Media" list.....

There is nothing in the Manual on even the proper use of those two Sata ports....I used the port 7 for my OS SSD so I could have RAID setup on ports 1 to 4.....and the DVDs on 5 and 6.

Hot swapping is not something I need, but the case has the ability so I figured I would get it up and running for the hell of it....

Mike

I'm still having trouble. Was hoping a new bios version would come out and fix it.

When I try to boot nothing happens. I have shut down the main power on the power supply. Try to boot with front switch and end up pushing the reset and start button on the motherboard. Then I have to go into the bios and re-tell it which hard drive to use.

Any ideas?? Thank you.

Mike

Aronis wrote:
I am not sure its even possible....

But....

The two drives on the SATA 7 and 8 (the ASMedia connector) show up on the "Safely Remove Hardware and Media" list.....

There is nothing in the Manual on even the proper use of those two Sata ports....I used the port 7 for my OS SSD so I could have RAID setup on ports 1 to 4.....and the DVDs on 5 and 6.

Hot swapping is not something I need, but the case has the ability so I figured I would get it up and running for the hell of it....

Mike

I finally figured out the boot issue.

I got another motherboard which was DOA. RMA a replacement and installed the new board. Same inconsistent booting issue. So I put the original board back in and finally saw a code error which made sense. I pulled one ram stick and no boot! I put the other back in and bamo all is fine. Boots right away, shuts down properly, reboots from start button - restart! It was the memory stick! Gskill trident X. So awaiting new stick but it runs great with just the 8 gig single stick.

hax0rmort
Level 11
Hello Aronis, do you feel that your O/S boots slow? I recently tried to clone my main OS drive using Samsung Magician. I had the new Samsung 840 EVO one of the ASMedia SATA ports. When I got it finished with the clone, I tried running a Benchmark on the ASMedia Drive (Samsung 840 EVO) and the results were RIDICULOUSLY slow compared to the AMD Ports. Yes, I have the ASMedia drivers installed. The latest ones from 2014. I just worry that your boot is suffering. If i were you, I would throw it in port 1-6 on AHCI and see if you notice a difference in boot time. Just curious..... or does anyone know why my IOPS and Random Read/Write speeds were GREATLY suffered using the Asmedia port?
-hax0rmort

MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370
RAM - AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz
SSD1 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Boot
SSD2 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Game
GPU1 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
GPU2 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
COOLER - Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU - Corsair RM Series 1000W Gold PSU
AUDIO - Creative Sound Blaster Z
CASE - NZXT H440 Red/Black
KEYBOARD - Corsair K95 RGB
MOUSE - SteelSeries Sensei
HEADSET - Logitech G430

HiVizMan
Level 40
It is most certainly advisable to use the native SATA ports, be it Intels or AMD and not a third party controller.

Well done to the OP for fault finding.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.