Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

G75vw Windows 7 chaos

Hi People first post here
    so i got my G75vw 4 months ago with pre windows 8 and finally the other day i had enough and desided to install my old windows 7 so i read the guides on this site and changed the bios "secure boot off" "launch csm?" so i pop in my windows 7 and boot and for some reason i hit format on the system drive only to find i cant install windows 7 on any partition and i can not restore using restore partition and have no restore disk. so in my panic i change bios settings here and there to no awail ( wich i havent upgraded a little affraid of bios)
    so i go online to see why i cant install my windows 7 and it has to do with gpt partitions and such so on to this site to find what to do found a thread that said delete all partitions so i did and then i installed windows 7 but no drivers nothing where installed since no internet adaptor was found but downloaded it and am up and running but it dosent feel like its running as smooth as before and booting is very slov.

ok that was the back story this is what i would like help with.
    WICH DRIVERS DO I ACTUALLY NEED ?
    I want the features off the pc but not the bloat ware ?
    and for internet there are both atehros and intel drivers i have downloaded atehros but do i need the intell ones 2?
    I am currently working on making a custom windows 7 iso with the drivers and everything for this machine so i dont have to downbload net drivers from another pc next time it goes wrong

And if someone would be so kind as to tell me what my bios setting should look like for a pc running windows 7 and should i update my bios
    I hope some of you experts can help me
    Noob gamer Ztrust

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

i think @bjurn wrote a nice guide here. there should be a driver cd/dvd that comes with the laptop; usually you can use those (at least to get the ethernet or wifi to work first). you can look for the latest ones at asus support site, or download section of this page.

the reason why w7 is 'slower' than w8 might have something to do with fast startup (the hybrid boot that can only be found in w8).

by doing a clean install, you practically remove all the bloatwares. check your device manager for your ethernet and wifi adapter (i.e. hardware id's).

if you had no problem with your laptop previously, there is no need for bios upgrade.

ROG Member Array

hey rewben (andomeda?)
    I did read bjurn guide and follewed it but since mine wasent a new hard drive i had all does win 8 stock partions. and the cd i got only works for windows 8 so cant use that and the problem with the net drivers is no adaptor detected so no internet on clean install ?

ROG Member Array

well i have installed windows 7 and i bet i can do it again but i have no uefi boot option in bios ?
    i have heard it mentioned here on the site what it is ?

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Ztrust View Post
    well i have installed windows 7 and i bet i can do it again but i have no uefi boot option in bios ?
    i have heard it mentioned here on the site what it is ?
    In the older BIOS versions, there was an option to enable/disable UEFI boot where it was enabled by default. But if you have a recent BIOS then that option is gone, the way it works now is...

When you insert the Windows 7 DVD, an entry is automatically created in the boot mentu that says UEFI: MAT$HITA (your BD-Rom Drive) so if you boot that way, Windows 7 will not allow you to install unless you delete all your partitions and create them from fresh where it will make them GPT disks.

The way around this is, insert the Windows 7 DVD, and reboot your computer, then enter BIOS immediately and go to the boot mentu, and disable / delete the UEFI Boot: BD-ROM and set your first boot device to MAT$HITA only and second boot device to your SSD or HDD, that way Windows 7 setup will boot in normal mode not in UEFI mode and it will allow you to install normally on a non GPT partition or if you partition with it this time it will create a basic MBR disk and not a GPT partition.

ROG Member Array

hey Danishkid thanks for the reply wish i had before my first attemt read the guide you linked to why that order for drivers ?
    and i am affraid in my attemt to fix something i new nothing about i might have changed something i shouldent can i reset my bios to factory defaults im affraid i might have deleted some boot options or something. i have tried restore default but dosent do much

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Ztrust View Post
    hey Danishkid thanks for the reply wish i had before my first attemt read the guide you linked to why that order for drivers ?
    and i am affraid in my attemt to fix something i new nothing about i might have changed something i shouldent can i reset my bios to factory defaults im affraid i might have deleted some boot options or something. i have tried restore default but dosent do much
    The order of driver installation is what most laptop manufacturers use and it makes sense.

Let's say you install the USB 3.0 drivers right....then you install the Intel Chipset Drivers....the Intel Chipset Drivers will then overwrite the optimized USB 3.0 driver and install its own basic USB driver.

Same thing with IRST, for example, if you install IRST first, then install the Intel Chipset Drivers, the Intel Chipset Drivers will update the IRST (SATA / IDA Controller) driver with its own, so it doesn't make sense

the order is there for a reason

last example, one time I was trying to download the Bluetooth Driver and it said underneath it (make sure the ATK package is installed), hence, I placed the ATK package installation before the bluetooth driver

everything is there for a reason

ROG Member Array

Thank you will remember that for when i get my hybrid disk tomorrow

Banned Array

My pleasure

ROG Member Array

hey again hope you can help me again.
    i am making a dedicated install disc for (g75vw) with all drivers so i will have internet from the start up next time i have problems but i cant tell the disc to restart twice after an install so is it better to leave that driver out and uinstall it manually after all other or install it and no double reboot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast