cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDR3-2400mhz

xmanrigger
Level 12
Hey guys. I am back. This time without attitude. I was having a bad week last time I was around, so I didnt make very many friends here. Kiss and make up?

Here is my query:

Back in Dec/11, I did two X79 builds. One was a client build and the other was personal. I used the Rampage IV Extreme with a 3960X, and a P9X79 Deluxe with a 3930K. Both CPUs and mobos performed and overclocked stellar. At the time of the builds, DDR3-2133 was the fastest memory I could get my hands on. G-Skill RipJawz in the Rampage and Kingston HyperX in the P9X79-D. Both kits overclocked well above 2133mhz on either board. Now, a little over a year down the road, I wanted to move up to DDR3-2400 to see if I could get a stable clock on my CPU above 5.2GHZ. I was thinking the 2133 memory was holding me up.

During the build and testing process, I discovered the P9X79 Deluxe and Rampage IV Extreme BIOS settings are very similar. The share some very intimate overclocking settings. With that said, I am hoping somebody here has been able to get DDR3-2400 memory running on a RIVE. I am thinking if it will run on the RIVE, it should run on the P9-D with same settings.

Has anyone had success in running at 2400? If so, what memory and did you have to tweak the XMP settings? I have tried two different 16GB DDR#-2400 kits and neither will even post at 2400mhz. 2133mhz seems to be all I can get. I tried these two kits with no luck:

- G.SKILL TridentX F3-2400C10Q-16GTX 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-2400 CL10 240PIN 1.65V Quad Channel Memory Kit
- Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX3M4A2400C10 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-2400 CL10 Quad Channel Memory Kit
GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 - 2TB Ki...

WATER: EK Velocity Strike - CPU / EK-Quantum Vector - GPU / 2X Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil
22 REPLIES 22

TheBoatswain
Level 7
Hey I am new at the Asus boards but I talked to the Gskill guys and they told me to look at my mem on their site. Well I have the F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH and it is 2133 mem but they have a note to run it at 2400 @ 11 11 11 31 Rampage setting 2. Also there is a voltage on the main OC page to set to 1.250 and I am completely stable. Hope this helps.
Asus Rampage VI Apex, Intel X9 7900X, Gskill 3600, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SLI, 4 SSD, 1 M.2 SSD

m_oreilly
Level 7
pretty much cpu mem controller dependent. me, no luck re 4.8 and 16 gigs@ 2400. this platform is not really meant for 'big' memory/cpu oc. i know guys at 5+w/z77 with the wide/tight memory, and no issues. luck of the draw re x79...
Asus Rampage IV GENE
i7 3930k @ 4.8 24/7
custom loop
16 gigs Trident X
HIS HD7970
2x OCZ Vector 256gb raid0 via UEFI
Crossover 27Q
Win8 pro

What really burns my ass over this is that both Corsair and Asus state in their websites that 2400mhz memory is compatible with X79 platform. Hell, Asus even went as far to boast that the P9X79 Deluxe is the worlds first mobo that can run DDR3-2400.

Both sites fail to mention that this memory is CPU dependent. And dont state which CPUs do work with it. A 3930K or 3960X not being able to run 2400mhz memory? Two of the three baddest CPUs on the market dont cut the cake? WTF? I had the 3930K as high as 5200mhz stable and memory still wouldnt post at 2400.
GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 - 2TB Ki...

WATER: EK Velocity Strike - CPU / EK-Quantum Vector - GPU / 2X Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

xmanrigger wrote:
What really burns my ass over this is that both Corsair and Asus state in their websites that 2400mhz memory is compatible with X79 platform. Hell, Asus even went as far to boast that the P9X79 Deluxe is the worlds first mobo that can run DDR3-2400.

Both sites fail to mention that this memory is CPU dependent. And dont state which CPUs do work with it. A 3930K or 3960X not being able to run 2400mhz memory? Two of the three baddest CPUs on the market dont cut the cake? WTF? I had the 3930K as high as 5200mhz stable and memory still wouldnt post at 2400.

...and the Devil's Advocate,
goes to ASUS site and reads under the P9X79 DELUXE specifications TAB...

CPU

• Intel® Socket 2011 for 2nd Generation Core™ i7 Processors
    Supports Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2
    * Refer to www.asus.com for CPU support list
  • ChipsetIntel® X79
  • Memory8 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR3 2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
    Quad Channel Memory Architecture
    Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
    * Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
    * Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

nikosa43 wrote:
...and the Devil's Advocate,
goes to ASUS site and reads under the P9X79 DELUXE specifications TAB...

CPU

• Intel® Socket 2011 for 2nd Generation Core™ i7 Processors
    Supports Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2
    * Refer to www.asus.com for CPU support list
  • ChipsetIntel® X79
  • Memory8 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR3 2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
    Quad Channel Memory Architecture
    Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
    * Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
    * Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

Um ya. I did read the specifications tab. With this claim, who would think the two CPUs intended to run it, cant. The two top CPUs on the market at release. There is no mention as to which CPU can or cant.

Secondly, the QVL hasnt been updated since 2011. Yes, I checked it. Being Dominator Platinum 2400 was released over a year after the release of X79 chipset / 3930K CPU, one would only assume it WILL work. Especially when both manufacturers claim so. Also, I am only using a 16GB kit (4X 4GB) when the max is 64GB. That should even boost the compatibility.

Thirdly, I aint using some cheap-assed mobo. The P9X79 Deluxe is almost identical to the Rampage IV Extreme. Minus colour, quad-sli, and some tweaker **** I bet 80% of owners have not/will not use. I have extensively tested both mobos. The RIVE with a 3960X and the Deluxe , my personal machine, with a 3930K. Other than the maybe the RIVE or maybe the EVGA X79 Classified, show me a better X79 board than the Deluxe. And no, the RIVF doesnt fall between, not near as powerful as the Deluxe. I dont think MSI or Gigglebyte offerings could top it either.

Anyways, I wasnt here to start a pissing match. I was looking for members who have managed to get memory running at 2400mhz.

Raja
Level 13
Seeing as you don't like people posting their experiences on getting DDR3-2400 stable/or not, why don't you try tuning the timings yourself? Or give an account of what you've actually tried timing wise, rather than an account of what you've got and why/how you think it should work? If you've already tried everything ,then you have your answer already - your IMC is not up to it.

I am struggling to understand what it is you're asking people to do. You don't seem to want to hear the truth about IMC variance and are implying that Intel or ASUS guarantees DDR3-2400 operation. That's what I'd call misaligned expectations and misunderstanding of overclocking. If you're struggling with understanding how to do it, read up on the guides in the forum and then formulate a post detailing what you tried and how.

I'll go one further and post some techinical advice for you; check what timings you can get DDR3-2133 stable at. Run it through this: (X * 2000) / memfreq. Where X = the timing value being applied and memfreq = DDR3 operating frequency. This will give you the cycle time in ns. If the cycle time required to even get the system to POST at DDR3-2400 exceeds DDR3-2133, you're on a futile mission.

PS. Rest assured I am keeping an eye on your posts. There will be no "pissing" matches this time. Anything untoward will be removed and bans issued if need be.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Seeing as you don't like people posting their experiences on getting DDR3-2400 stable/or not, why don't you try tuning the timings yourself? Or give an account of what you've actually tried timing wise, rather than an account of what you've got and how you think it should work? If you've already tried everything ,then you have your answer already - your IMC is not up to it.

PS. Rest assured I am keeping an eye on your posts. There will be no pissing matches this time.

Were did I indicate I dont like people posting their experiences on running 2400 memory. To the contrary. That is exactly what I was seeking. Not flaked out replies. I did take note of The BoatSwain's and m.orielly's posts. If you are referring to nikosa43's post, nothing constructive or anything I didnt already learned in his post. And if anyone was trying to start a pissing match, I would have to say his post is the only one here that leans that way. That is what pissed me off last time I was here. People posting stupid-assed replies to a legit thread.

What have I tried? Various CPU frequencies up to 5200mhz, bclk frequencies, vcc/ddr voltages, memory timings, two different memory kits (G-Skill/Corsair)........................................

Again, not here for pissing match. Here to see what people have done to get memory to 2400. I posted here because the RIVE and P9X79 Deluxe are very similar boards, with little exceptions. I was thinking if 2400 runs on the RIVE, good chance it is going to run on the Deluxe.

xmanrigger wrote:
I was thinking if 2400 runs on the RIVE, good chance it is going to run on the Deluxe.

" on the same CPU" is missing from that sentence.

What nikosa43 was trying to say was the obvious point...that Intel only guarantee 1600Mhz on X79. Anything else is OCing and entirely dependant on the strength of your CPU's IMC. The fact that ASUS gives you the hardware to try for higher OCs is just a bonus but not a right and to get to 2400 you will have to have the IMC and the knowledge to tweak BIOS settings etc. if your IMC is not very solid.

Have a look at this and try some of the voltages and Digi+ tweaks mentioned at the end http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25510-Rampage-IV-Extreme-RAM-Guide&country=&status=

To help more we would need concrete figures for voltages etc. that you have tried..."various" doesn't help us much 😉

xmanrigger wrote:
Were did I indicate I dont like people posting their experiences on running 2400 memory. To the contrary. That is exactly what I was seeking. Not flaked out replies. I did take note of The BoatSwain's and m.orielly's posts. If you are referring to nikosa43's post, nothing constructive or anything I didnt already learned in his post. And if anyone was trying to start a pissing match, I would have to say his post is the only one here that leans that way. That is what pissed me off last time I was here. People posting stupid-assed replies to a legit thread.

What have I tried? Various CPU frequencies up to 5200mhz, bclk frequencies, vcc/ddr voltages, memory timings, two different memory kits (G-Skill/Corsair)........................................

Again, not here for pissing match. Here to see what people have done to get memory to 2400. I posted here because the RIVE and P9X79 Deluxe are very similar boards, with little exceptions. I was thinking if 2400 runs on the RIVE, good chance it is going to run on the Deluxe.

Which timings have you adjusted? You need to be specific. Which profiles did you try? If you've tried everything already, then it's an IMC issue. Also regard what I said in my previous post about the actual cycle time - no point in chasing raw MHz at the expense of real access latency and cycle times.