cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 Stopped Working

betaman10
Level 9
Hello,

Recently I have been having trouble with my Rampage IV Extreme. First my hard drive that had been connected to the USB 3.0 port on the back stopped being recognized in Windows 8. Then I started to receive an error USB over current detected machine will power off in 15 minutes. I unplugged all USB devices and left the keyboard in same thing. I swapped the keyboard and was able to boot again. I plugged in the external hard drive again and it still wasn't recognized until I put it in a USB 2.0 port. I figured the keyboard was the issue as the other keyboard worked fine. I replaced the keyboard with the same kind Logitech G510 and same thing I reset the bios flashed the latest version and it went away for like a day then it comes back, but sometimes I can get it to start without the error and the machine will work fine for days until I need to reboot and then it will give me that same USB over current after a few reboots I can get in. The USB 3.0 ports still don't work though no matter what I plug in. Power is getting to them as a USB drive light will show up, but the drive isn't detected in Windows 8. I ended up formatting and installing all drivers again just to see if something got broke and same thing USB 3.0 is shot. and same stupid USB over current every so often. At this point I am thinking warranty the MB even though I hate to do that, but I am rather out of options here. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Can they do advanced replacement on the MB if I give them a credit card?

Thank you,

Dan
8 REPLIES 8

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
Did you upgrade the Asmedia USB 3 firmware?
There was an update issued 12/10/2012.
Asus_USB_3_FW_Update_Tool
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

majorwoody
Level 7
i would try HalloweenWeeds idea first then if that don't work RMA

Yeah I installed that many months ago when it was working and it worked for quite awhile after that.

How do I go through the RMA process? Can I get advanced replacement because if I don't I might as well buy another MB as I would lose more than that being without my computer.

Is this the best MB I can get or is there another one that is better that I should get?

Thank you,

Dan

majorwoody
Level 7
you have to talk ASUS about all that good luck dude and as far as the best MOBO to non better than a ASUS even a Lamborghini breaks down....

Chino
Level 15
Do you have any front panel USB ports connected to the motherboard? If so, disconnect them and boot up your system to see if that solves the problem.

Yeah I disconnected those and everything but the keyboard for testing and even tried another keyboard. I talked with Asus and they are hopefully going to send me out a new one if they have stock they say.

Thank you,

Dan

Well Asus has the worst support I have ever dealt with. I ended up talking to someone on chat and after we determined that it wasn't a software issue and was a hardware issue they said they would get an RMA setup. The next day they said my MB was out of warranty I didn't understand and provided them proof of purchase. When I don't hear anything back for a day I ask if they needed anything else where they tell me to email someone else. At this point I am getting very fed up so I call support and have them look at my case number that I had.

They proceed to tell me that they can do the replacement, but had to check inventory which takes 2 days. They told me they were doing this on Monday, but I guess they never did. So now yet again I am waiting to hear back and at this point have no confidence that I will ever hear back.

Currently I am running 5 ROG motherboards and have purchased many Asus motherboards over the years. I have never had a problem and I sure as hell hope I never have another problem because they have the worst support I have ever seen from a company. At this point I just wish Intel would release a new chipset so I have a reason to just buy another motherboard and be done with it. But we know that isn't going to happen so I just wait and waste my time with these people who sound like they have never done an RMA before.

Thanks for listening to my rant

Dan

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please contact cl-albert via pm he will sort your issue out. Have as much detail of your claim and rma number if you have it available when he responds
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.