cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU led and Qcode 00 on Maximus V Extreme - Detailed version during Installation

Slemdorull
Level 7
Short version of what I've already done in order to debug/trying to fix >>Scroll down to my second post
If anyone here is looking for a fix: This post is not a guide to fix it! So I don't disappoint anyone.
This is a new extended version of my other thread
This well known problem with CPU_led and Qcode 00 during startup (not booting).

Just to CAPS LOCK, bold, underline, size 100 [not gonna mess the post]
-->> Problem persists on my new mobo after RMA'ing the most possibly defect mobo

One thing I will add first, so people don't give short and simple answers I've already tried. Is basically what I've done trying to fix it. [See post below]

Lets get it on step by step what I did and what I've tried to solve the problem.
I installed the CPU and headsink , RAM 32GB ,Nvidia GTX 480, Mpcie (wifi/bluetooth), attatched SSD to #1 sata port. on my Maximus V extreme.
- and powered up my system.

At first I got an error message it couldn't boot and said something change settings in bios(, so I went into bios(can't remember the error message).

After chilling in bios I just went through the features and settings without changing anything (I think -.-). Then I clicked *Exit and discard changes* (I guess) or something like that. After that point I've been struggling with CPU led and no signal to monitor. Flashed to newest BIOS version with USB flashback, it only seems to take 15-25 sec and the light changes from blinking to being fully on (indicates that install are done).
STILL, CPU led is red and Q code is 00.

Tried this while mobo was on the original box.

• Disconnect all the cables that are currently connected to your motherboard.
  • Remove all the components from it also.
  • Put it on the box that it came in.
  • With everything disconnected and removed and your motherboard still on the box, remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes.
  • Insert the battery back into place.
  • Install your CPU with its stock heatsink.
  • Insert one stick of RAM into the DIMM_A2 slot.
  • Connect the 24 pin and 8 pin power connectors.
  • Power up your system with the Start button.

My system wouldn't boot - Gives me CPU_LED lighten up and Qcode starts in 00.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's try something else,
Swap RAM sticks to different DIM's in different order)
Used 1 and 2 sticks on both A and B DIMMS, all 4 sticks. Tried single RAM stick in all different DIMMS.
--Same error
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Allright.. disconnected PSU for 48 hours (alike) and took out the small mobo battery (CMOS battery or whatever it's calleD).
Installed everything again following the manual very closely on the mobo's original box. After installing 1 RAM stick, CPU, original heatsink that came with CPU with Artic cooling thermal paste (the right amount of paste).
--Same error
This is interesting:
I pressed the Clear CMOS button like 100 times and powered up.
--Same error
So after 100 times clearing the CMOS I just plugged in my USB stick and flashed the newest BIOS version again...
Q Code is not stuck at 00 anymore :cool: I was like, WHAT THE HELL?! Really?! At that point I didnt have my HDMI connectedSo I powered the system off and pressed the clear CMOS button (don't ask me why I did such stupid thing, but I did it).
The reason I pressed it was maybe to make sure the old settings the prob causing my CPU led and Q code was totally
flushed. So I connect my HDMI and feels like a god powering it up again. CPU_LED red and Qcode directly into 00!
I was all like, OH MY GOD!
Tried same proceedure as above, didn't fix it.
Had it all taken apart, AGAIN, disconnected PSU for 24 hours, aswell with the small battery.
Tried installing like I did, clearing CMOS and install newest BIOS through flashback.
(Usb is correct format and renamed correctly "using the renamer" etc, just to clear the air making u guys sure the problem
arent wrong format or file/name or anything).
So after that point I packed my mobo to the original case and sent in request for RMA.
Sent in mobo for RMA and got a new board sent to me.
As my brain automatically will think ( Allright, my supplier recieved my mobo and tested it for failure, therefore they sent me a new for free)
I opened the box and took a look at it, it was BRAND new! No "screw" marks on the chassis mount spots. Just to let you guys
know that it's not the same mobo and they have "fixed" it.
Installing my new recieved mobo with my parts being happy as hell for getting my faster CPU and RAM up running
I will provide you step by step how I installed my I7 3770k and components on my brand new Maximus V Extreme
1. Screwed in 9 brand new standoffs on my chassis.
2. Had my mobo set on my original mobo box and installed the CPU, after that I headed up the mobo and installed the back plate for cpu cooler.
3. Installed the mPCIe combo card without sata thing, only wifi (as it came from my supplier).
4. Placed the mobo into the chassis and screwed all 9 screws to the chassis (did not screw too hard and I looked for any extra standoffs blocking or screws that's not supposed to be there. It is only 9 standoff screws attatched.
5. Installed CPU cooler to the chassis
6. Placed the right amount of thermal paste on the CPU and installed heatsink properly, screwed all the 4 screws in correct order and made sure I didnt screw the too hard onto the CPU, but made sure it sat good.
7. Took all my ram sticks in place.
8. Attatched my SDD to the sata port.
9. Installed my Nvidia Geforce 480 to the PCIe port 3, (I know it should be in port 1, but that doesnt really matter).
10. Installed my Asus m2x sound card.
11. Plugged in HDMI to my Nvidia 480 and USB keyboard. (both parts are in use as we speak, so they are verified working).
I have not yet plugged in my front panel for extra USB connectors and sata, also the button for start/reset. I will stick with the onbuilt start button, to make sure nothing in the front panel are not working properly.
12. Plugging in my PSU cables to the mobo (made sure that the switch on PSU is off). 24 pins and 8 pins connected.
Clicking the onboard Start button to fire my doomday of destruction machine... and starts straight into Qcode 00 and CPU_led.
Starting debugging again
Looking over some pictures i took during installation.
Turning my CPU upside down, it looks kinda discolored somehow.
I mean, I managed to mess abit thermal paste on my finger during removal and adding new thermal paste, so I used a piece of cloth (non static verified cloth), and it seems to have been discolored somehow. Not sure if this can cause damage the CPU, but the problem started waaay before I managed to mess abit thermal paste on the golden chip side. (After installing CPU and heatsink to the motherboard over and over and over again, means I got tired of it and maybe did that part abit fast).
§ From the very start I was very very careful placing the CPU into the socket. Do not misunderstand me, I never started
tossing paste on and started throwing the CPU into the socket. I've actually been kinda very careful.
I've used anti-static bracelet all the time connected to a good ground source.

CONCLUSION
Still having the problemwith CPU led and Qcode 00
No signal to monitor (HDMI onboard or PCIe graphics card
Does not give power to my USB when starting the machine. Even tho all fans I connect spin.
I can connect ROG usb and being able to boot mobo from laptop, but gives my CPU initial error (displayed on laptop)
Whatever I try, the error is the same (Cpu led and Qcode 00)

I've spent many days on all different forums that has the same error, but every post that seems to have
solved the issue.. Either the

• 8 pin connector is not being connected (or 4 pin if psu doesnt support 8 pin).
  • They RMA'd the board and got a new one, problem was still not fixed
  • Pins was bent. Some people straightened the pins themselves and got it to work.
  • There is anything in the chassis that shortening the mobo (like an extra standoff or something). In manual it says 9, and it is 9 standoff holes in the mobo

I WILL now send back CPU, RAM and MOBO to my supplier, just waiting for them to accept my reason for RMA/DOA request.

This post is basically made cause I've seen alot people issuing the exact same errors, combined CPU_led and Qcode 00.
I will find a solution for this particular
problem and keep you guys updated and what went wrong for even getting this error.
8 REPLIES 8

Slemdorull
Level 7
I already tried
* Both 24 and 8 pin connector are connected (using >this PSU<
* Problem persists even taking the mobo on the original box and installing it from there
* Tried a different working PSU. The PSU that I tried first is the one i write as you read. Working like a charm
* USB flashbacked different BIOS versions
* Tried different brand ram sticks and all kinda different combination DIMM slots possible
* Had mobo disconnected completely from PSU for 48 hours + the mobo battery (CMOS battery + whatever)
* Cleared CMOS ofcourse
* Tried bios 1 and 2
* At the end I RMA'd the board and bot a new one, installed everything following >this< Still same error
* Installed stock cooler
* Taken all parts out and installed back in.
* Checked that no extra standoffs are messing up or anything else
>> I've killed my head typing, so there might be something else I forgot, but I guess I tried

What I havent tried (cause all my noob friends doesn't have the correct socket and I got no money atm stepping into the local computer shop in town for check *nothing is free in norway*)
* Check CPU
* Check RAM sticks

Anyways, thanks for killing urself reading this, just wanted to give whoever that reads all this good explained log of what I've done during installation and during debugging.

Sorry, there might be like a million typos [Norwegian], but I hope you followed me and understood [

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would not be surprised if you find the CPU is part of the problem.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:

I'm thinking so aswell. ,- but remember before spilling and thermal paste on the CPU, this particulat problem have been going on for a while.
I might get the correct socket mobo for debug, but I don't want to risk any friends mobo total lockdown. I hope anyone can tell me if I did
anything wrong. Then you are very welcome to smack my fingers[COLOR:"FF2499].

HiVizMan wrote:

I'm thinking so aswell. ,- but remember before spilling and thermal paste on the CPU, this particular problem have been going on for a while.
I might get the correct socket mobo for debug, but I don't want to risk any friends mobo total lockdown. I hope anyone can tell me if I did
anything wrong. Then you are very welcome to smack my fingers.

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL nah it is all good all I want is for you to enjoy your system and have everything working as it should.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Slemdorull
Level 7
I will write a poem about this mobo working
"I have a dream
I have a dream I can kick some ass in the BIOS and get my first OC sucessfully worked out
I have a dream I will be able to sleep at night instead of thinking of my dead system"

written by Slemdorull King jr.

Thanks for support, appreciate all response and I'm really looking forward to send my supplier the parts and receive brand new components!

Slemdorull
Level 7
Recieved parts today! Installed and up running. Can't really help out with what the issue was, when the error log that came with said "motherboard did not post". The CPU was DOA I suppose! Thanks everyone and I'm so happy with my system now! 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
I have had code 00 a few times and each time it is the CPU that is dead.

I am just happy you are sorted, enjoy your system.