cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my MVE was replaced to a new one , now strange issues

sstephan
Level 9
my previous MVE died for no apparent reason - funky chicken boot loop , no q code , etc ...
board was checked for 2 weeks , and finally replaced for new .
I was running 5g stable before .tried the same settings and the new board is not stable with the same voltage , no matter what bios version.
no 2 boards are the same , so I guess I will run at lower freq .

but I also have some strange issue I never had before , the VRM mosfets get really hot when stress testing the cpu !
I was stress testing for many hours at 5Ghz on the previous board , and the mosfet heatsink wasn't that hot , at least as far as I can remember .
maybe its just because its almost summer and the temps here get really high .

anyways , wanted to know if there is a temp sensor on the mosfets .I don't see VRM temp in bios or ai suit . it show motherboard temps , but its clearly not the mosfet temp .
I wonder if there is any protection on the mosfets .if there is no sensor , then I guess theres no protection also :confused:
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would suggest that your spend some of your tweaking time in the digi vrm section and find out what is the optimal settings for your new combination. The VRM's do get hot but that would be manageable if you tweaked some of the settings. Most likely you have a couple way to high for your CPU and your board. I would be surprised if you do not get your 5GHz OC back.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

nah , no 5ghz . even at +0.39 offset , llc at ultra i still have some whea errors .
it passes prime and ibt with no problem (or whea errors) at all.but i already figured that both dont show any stability , just heat the cpu .
my ultimate test is solidwork photoview render . 90% of those that think they are stable will fail sw rendering test .

anyway , my mosfets get too hot , i never noticed it before , maybe thats what killed my previous board .no mosfet temp indication on the motherboard .
funny , this board also supports sandy bridge , with much higher tdp . i guess watercooling the vrm is inavitable with those .

HiVizMan
Level 40
I hear you. Stick a fan over the VRMs that will sort it out.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

lightface79
Level 7
sstephan:
Hi!!!

have a question about your other mobo that did the funky chicken...
what was the symtoms?
I have a Maximus V formula that do som idiot reboots without putting out eany errors..
Only so i can compare it with my if i need to send it in for exchange

Best regards //janne sweden

lightface79 wrote:
sstephan:
Hi!!!

have a question about your other mobo that did the funky chicken...
what was the symtoms?
I have a Maximus V formula that do som idiot reboots without putting out eany errors..
Only so i can compare it with my if i need to send it in for exchange

Best regards //janne sweden

hi , when power button was pressed , the fans and lights turn on , then shut down after 2-3 seconds . then it tries to power-up again , and shuts down again in an endless loop .
bios reset , bios usb flash , changing bios chips did not solve it .
also , this happened without cpu or ram installed .

now i think maybe one of my mosfets burned , as they get pretty hot now in the summer , and i never noticed it .