cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Extreme: CPU just got really hot and shut everything down!

ToddJW
Level 7
Hello ROG,

I just recently built a new desktop for the first time so I'm a bit of a newb. Apologies if I posted something that has been touchedon many times. I couldn't seem to find anything directly related with my exact same issue.

Anyway, I've had the system up and running for about a month and everything seemed to running great. Before I get into more details heres my build specs:

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II
MOBO: Asus Maximus V Extreme
CPU: Intel Ivy i7-3770k (not overclocked yet)
GPU: Asus Nvidia GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 2133mHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110
PSU: Corsair 860i
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256gb
HDD: WD Black 2TB
Monitor: Asus VG278HE 144hz

Nothing has been overclocked (except for gpu stock from factory) and my system showed no signs of anything being wrong till today... Al suit II notified me earlier today of an extreme cpu temp which was at 71 degrees C. I'll admit I ignored it because Al Suite II has been giving me whack readings ever since I installed it. It usually tells me my fans arent running when they are and that my mobo is negative 31 degrees celcius. I read in the forums that this is typical when running with gpu/cpu tweak. Not sure on this issue? But anyway, my PC was just running idol and all of a sudden it beeped loudly and shut down. I took off my case door to see which code it was throwing and heard my cooler making bubble noises (boiling?) and seen it was throwing multiple codes. before I can note them it tried to reboot itself and shut down again. I touched the cpu cooler cap/top and it almost burned my hand. I waited for it to cool back down and tried to boot up but now its not detecting my hdmi so i have no picture and its just throwing a 55 code, which is "memory not installed."

What the heck happened? My cpu overheats, shuts my pc down and now i have no picture to my monitor and an unhappy motherboard telling me memory isnt installed when it is... The led's on the memory are all lit? Please help me someone... I spent so much time and money on this PC and id much prefer an operational desktop instead of a $3000 paper weight... 😞

Thanks for anyone that helps in advance!
98 REPLIES 98

majorwoody
Level 7
this might be a silly question but i have to ask is your cpu cooler fan working when you turn your computer on that will usually explain all of sudden heat heat on your cpu with out any adjustments to your bios hope this is all it is....

Yes. First thing I checked. Its nice a cool and both fans are working when its running...

I'm trying to just get a picture back up on my monitor so I can at least monitor and trouble shoot from there but for some reason once it shut down it quit detecting my hdmi...

ToddJW
Level 7
Okay now I have a picture and it took me directly into the ROG BIOS... It said "overclocking failed please hit f1 to reconfigure." I never tried to overclock anything though... Coul Al suit II do this on its own??

Now my motherboard is -1 centigrade and my cpu is jumping fromt 23 to 30 to 40 back to 30 degrees centigrade and all over the place according to Al suit II.???????????????????????????

ToddJW
Level 7
So there is no code 55 now and everything seems to be running fine. Can someone please tell me what just happened and if I should be worried? Because I'm definitely feeling like i should be worried that my cpu almost fried.

Also, should I remove Al suit II? Do most people have problems with this software?

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Uninstall AI Suite and use other software, like HWMonitor

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Uninstall AI Suite and use other software, like HWMonitor

Ill uninstall Al Suite II from my "programs and features" list but should I also run the tool from this website to make sure its completely uninstalled from my system?

HiVizMan
Level 40
The key point for me is that your cooler made bubbling noises. That is not ideal. That indicates that your cooler is defective in my view. I would use the Intel Stock cooler for the short term and monitor temperatures using. Coretemp has the the ability to record in a text file your CPU temps while running in the back ground.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.