cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording vinyl: bit rate of rampage IV audio analog input?

m_oreilly
Level 7
picked up a turntable, MC cartridge, tube preamp/phono stage w/analog out, and want to listen to/burn high bit rate output through computer. does anyone know what the analog to digital bitrate would be using win7 and the analog-in port/audio chip/codec on the rampage IV gene? i was going to pick up a motu analog to usb/coax/optical out interface to mate things, but if i can get a max of 24/96hz by just drivers w/onboard codec/chip, A to D, i'd be happy...
Asus Rampage IV GENE
i7 3930k @ 4.8 24/7
custom loop
16 gigs Trident X
HIS HD7970
2x OCZ Vector 256gb raid0 via UEFI
Crossover 27Q
Win8 pro
10 REPLIES 10

maximiza
Level 11
your going to to need an interface mixer. I used a DAK solution for cassette tape and LP conversion back on my old A8n SLi deluxe mobo without problems and recorded good analog to digital files. I know the Rampage IV has a better sound chip then my A8n sli deluxe did. Liborious process. Make sure you don't over compensate on the input levels and keep it in the green otherwise it will sound muddy. Its a little bit of a nack to learn. You are trying to bring the best out of the analog source.

m_oreilly
Level 7
hey max, thanks 😉
any fav software you use? i was looking at audacity, though the motu comes with cakewalk, i believe. i was even thinking of using a high end cmedia pci-e card that could take optical in to use it's dac for conversion (i use a desktop dac for listing: optical out from rampage/dac/analog out to nearfields), but the motu looks like it would be a bit more compatible.
Asus Rampage IV GENE
i7 3930k @ 4.8 24/7
custom loop
16 gigs Trident X
HIS HD7970
Crossover 27Q
Win8 pro

maximiza
Level 11
the dak solution i got was an xp version,(thats how long ago it was) it was a complete kit, it had a de popper software for records, sound editing software and mixing board. I have used Audiacity for some voice acting in video games, i have never used it for digitizing analog music sources. Your always going to need a interface equilizer to purify the sound so the digital sounds good.
They are actually still in business. but i don't know if they have better solutions now out. for records allot depends on the actually needle used and stuff.
http://www.dak.com

The major reason i got it was i had very rare bar concert of U2 in 1981, it was recorded by one of the bar patrons in the bar and was broadcast on radio in 1985 when i recorded it. I had to edit the cassete tape ending and starting on the other side. But it sounds good still. Allot of unique stuff you want to digitze it, vinyle get brittle and magnetic tape gets brittle.

m_oreilly
Level 7
wow, a u2 pub gig recording! super! lucky you 😉
Asus Rampage IV GENE
i7 3930k @ 4.8 24/7
custom loop
16 gigs Trident X
HIS HD7970
Crossover 27Q
Win8 pro

maximiza
Level 11
yeah , I had allot of live broadcast of techno / dance clubs when i was too young to go out being in my early teens. The thing what you are trying to do, is bring the analog as rich a clear as possable and make it deep. You want to have the preamp mixer do all the processing before it even hits your sound chip on your mobo. With radio recorrdings you got the double wammy of analog recording over radio. So you might have interference on the radio station and mixing recording levels between the orginal analog source and the radio stations sound engineers settings during the broadcast.

m_oreilly
Level 7
i hear ya. actually, i'll put up with some analog clinks if they are ingrained in existing wax. i'm waiting for the new boards of canada vinyl to hit atm (electronica/idm). man, i wish i hadn't sold my ancient records collection...all the jazz and 70's prog rock....
Asus Rampage IV GENE
i7 3930k @ 4.8 24/7
custom loop
16 gigs Trident X
HIS HD7970
Crossover 27Q
Win8 pro

m_oreilly
Level 7
after checking out audiophile sites, and realizing i really don't archive to mechanical media, i will forgo 'burning' to disk as method, and instead save files to usb/thumb drives or the like.
Asus Rampage IV GENE
i7 3930k @ 4.8 24/7
custom loop
16 gigs Trident X
HIS HD7970
Crossover 27Q
Win8 pro

m.oreilly wrote:
after checking out audiophile sites, and realizing i really don't archive to mechanical media, i will forgo 'burning' to disk as method, and instead save files to usb/thumb drives or the like.

, mp3, cd, blu ray audio, you will find you will burn a hard copy incase of disk failure or have multiple back ups. Your really dealing with a .wav file then converting to mp3 or other needed version after editing. .wav will become your master file

Nodens
Level 16
m.oreily I would go with the Motu as the ADC on it is higher quality for sure (even compared to a C-Media card). Motu's market is musicians and studios, so it has higher quality DACs and ADCs than cards aimed towards the general pc market. Cakewalk software is good for recordings but what you want is fairly simple to do. So any recording software would do. Unless you want to manipulate the recording. In that case you should look for professional software like Cubase, Cakewalk, Wavelab etc etc As far as cleaning up sound goes, all professional audio software include the required features and can get more advanced plugins (VST) installed as well but the process needs some knowledge in sound engineering to do without deteriorating the original sound sample:)
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.