cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to treat my/your battery the most economical?

camu
Level 7
Hi people,

I own a G46 and I've been wondering about how I can treat my battery the most economical way (I'm not sure if that's the right word, English is not my first language).

I've owned a laptop mostly for work before this one and after a couple of years the battery of my old laptop slowly started to die out.
At some point the battery would only keep my laptop on for maybe another 4/5 minutes.
I really want to avoid this to happen to my G46 for as long as possible ( I know it will eventually reach that point one day :P)

So there is a couple of situations where I'm not sure if I should keep the charger in or not.
For example, when the battery is on 100%, is it a bad thing to keep the charger in? I've read something about a system that recognises that it's on 100% and then stops trying to charge it. But would that mean that the battery would go down to 99% and then charge it back to 100%? Cause I feel like that's really bad for the battery if it keeps doing that continuously.

I know that if I want to play games with good FPS that it should be plugged in and I have no problems with that.
But I'm not sure if there is a integrated system in the battery/laptop that doesnt "overcharge" the battery or something.
Maybe the battery isn't being used while it's on 100%? I'm not sure if that's a possible

I dont know a lot about batteries, all I know is that keeping it on "charge" while it's full is bad. And that you want to be "charging" as least as possible.

Kinda off-topic idea of mine:
Wouldn't it be great if there was a piece of software to which you could say "I'm going to unplug it now" so that it only activates the battery at that time?
The negative side of this is that when you accidentally unplug it it would immediately shut down your laptop.
5 REPLIES 5

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
You will be pleasantly surprised to know that batteries have come a long way in the last couple years, such that you can leave it plugged in at the AC and not worry about severe degradation to the battery. They last longer these days, provided the power pack and connector is looked after 🙂

camu
Level 7
Al right, but I'm very curious about how that works though. Because the battery must be in use at all times, because it has to "take over" the moment I unplug the AC which could be any moment. And if it's in use at all times it will slowly drain, but since it's on AC it will recharge it again.

Maybe I'm asking about to complicated stuff, but to me it feels like the only way this can work is by letting the battery go from 99% to 100% to 99% over and over and over, which feels like it's a bad thing.

I have no doubt in your post though, Myk, but I'm just curious now 🙂

babyrinrin
Level 7
Dude,

The best way to prolong the life of a laptop battery is when it reached 100% afterwards you have to remove it and not use the battery when youre plugged-in...

I have encounter the same situation with my 1st and 2nd laptop that i always leave my battery attached when its 100% and i am plugged in. Eventually the battery life of both laptop didnt last long the way it should be.

I hope this info helps.
G75VX
I7 3630 QM 2.40GHZ
16 GB HYUNDAI PC3-12800 (800 MHz) DDR3
3 GB GEFORCE GTX 670MX
240 SSD KINGSTON HYPERX
750 SSH SEAGATE
17" FULL HD
WIN 8 64 SINGLE LANGUAGE

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think battery is consumables unit, you can see the http://www.asus.com/support/Article/604/

JwPwns
Level 10
... FYI the battery stops charging when it's FULL, and it won't charge if you battery level is at 95% to 100% so you don't have to worry about being 99% and it keeps charging to 100 then go back to 99%, it doesn't work like that. It simply won't charge itself unless it's below 94%.

And the battery is not removable in G46, it's best to keep it plugged in whenever possible and avoid using the battery if you want to prolong it's life. it's best to Keep it plugged in whenever you use it, unplug it if you not gona use it for a long period. It will not over-charge. The battery has been improved to not have memory effect like the old ones, but it's still limited to the number of recharges possible. Anyways don't have to worry about the battery life for few years, that's the life expectancy of laptops now days
Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro