cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx overheating, Nvidia kernel stopped working, CPU idle temp 60.

Sttyx
Level 8
Hi guys,
just as the topic says. Well here is info, hope you can help me,where others(other sites) failed to even reply.

On saturday, while playing LoL, mine asus experienced his first time BSOD. System didnt create a dump so I dont know what caused it. On sunday, windows installed few updates for net framework 4.5 . Later that day, I experienced something I didnt saw for 2 years - nvidia graphic display nvlddmkm.sys stopped responding. Well it recovered and worked again for few mins. For 2 days I have been looking all over google to fix it. I clean installed several drivers, even one from asus support page, yet nothing worked.
I fixed somehow the nvlddmkm.sys but then I got another problem. Nvidia Kernel mode has stopped, and you know the rest. Funny thing is, it only happens when I am browsing the net, or watching video, or I just left my PC idle for few minutes. It never happend while under stress or while playing game. Well I think I know what stopped nvlddmkm problem. In Nvidia control panel, under global settings, I changed the power for GPU from adaptive to preffer max. performance(sorry if it isnt 100% correct, my nvidia panel is in different language so it is a rough translate). This stopped the nvlddmkm but started Nvidia kernel mode stopped responding and was recovered. I trying changing it back, and nvlddmkm started again but this time even with kernel.

Here is what my PC does when the driver is close to collapse. I hear my fan going up almost like to 100%, temp on GPU increase from idle 60 to 75-85, my idle core temp(which I guess is Intel i7 cores temp) raise from 65 to 85-90(quite high) and then finally the graphic driver crash. Then it is silent, and again in few mins(depends on what I am doing, while typing this it did not crashed, but while watching video it crash in 4-9mins intervals).

Now isnt it a little big temp for idle i7 ? Now I am only typing this, some proccess runing on backround,according to speedfan my CPU load is 17%, and yet I have 65-70 degrees on core(1-4). When I was conducting a stress for CPU (via Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool) it raised to 90-95 degree.

Now I didnt overclocked my GPU or CPU, all should be factory settings. My Core VID is 1.211-1.235 V, core speed 2594 MHz ( all from CPU -Z). I never raised my voltage for GPU or CPU. I have win7 64b, Nvidia GeForce 560M.

I red some info which could fix the driver problem, and they suggested to raise a voltage for GPU slightly or to downclock the GPU.

I hope you guys can help me, because I am desperate. Finals are coming and I dont have time to send it back to from who I bought it for a repair,because it would take them about a month to figure out what to do with it or where is the problem.
32 REPLIES 32

Sttyx
Level 8
Comon guys, this thing drives me crazy. Idle not doing a thing the driver crash every 2 to 5 minutes. Really nobody here has any advice ?

Pitcher1
Level 9
what and where is driver version do you install? from MVIDIA or ASUS support site?

dstrakele
Level 14
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10885-G74sx-rising-temperature-Please-help gives you all the information you need.

1) If you have cleaned the fans on your G74SX and still get the high temperatures you report just by Browsing, you'll need to get a repaste to bring the temps down to normal levels.

2) If you didn't upgrade your Atheros WiFi driver from version 9.0.0.222 to 9.2.1.432 or later, you'll have high DPC Latency that will result in TDR errors you report, where Windows resets the GPU when it detects a 2 second delay. However, the high temperatures of your processors may be contributing to the problem.

You have to address your overheating issue.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

PlaneName
Level 10
Edit: Make sure to read dstrakele thread he posted and about the Wifi issue, I also didn't know you already made a thread about this and you already got help there too.

I have encountered that error before on my old system. I might do a thread about this actually because this error is the biggest pain. Prepare for a long response.

Yes that nvlldmkm.sys error... it is a huge problem. The issue you are having is an TDR problem. There is actually a little fixed that Windows have provided. Firstly I would go to BIOS and set to default settings and clear CMOS before you go to these steps. See if clearing CMOS and defualt settings has actually make an improvement while on Windows for 10 minutes or so.

More info of TDR:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff570087%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

TDR fix:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946 (You can do it automatically if you don't feel comfortable doing it manually.)

Now this isn't a fixed but it will hopefully stop that hung error from the hardware that is causing that bug or error. Firstly I would unintall NVIDIA drivers by using Driver Sweeper and install this NVIDIA drivers:

Driver Sweeper:

http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

Nvidia drivers:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-306.97-whql-driver.html

Your GPU and CPU is kind of hot on idle especially on the small CPU usage. I'd did have an issue before with an GPU on idle at 30 C and when doing gaming or opening up 3d applications it jumps to 60-90C in just a few seconds... which wasn't normal. I might be guessing that your system is causing that error.

Your other problem might be running applications or hidden applications that is causing or using your CPU and GPU to heat up on idle. Firstly I would open your laptop and make sure to clean dusts off etc and make sure to add new thermal paste on CPU. If you haven't noticed any amount of change on temperature, it is something defiantly wrong with the system to heat up strangely on windows.

It also wouldn't hurt to go to BIOS and look at the temperature from there and see how your system is doing on BIOS. Now there is allot things you can do while your in Windows to check what applications is running on start-up. First of all go to start, run and type "msconfig".

- System configuration should pop up
- Click on Startup tab
- Make sure to un-checked every single of them.

Now Apply OK. This is the first bit of checking start-up programs, we also need to know the hidden start-up as well. OK while you got that done, restart your PC. If you see any changes of temperature or anything let me know - If it's still the same then we go to this step.

Its an anti-hack application that is checking what is running on your start-up. WARNING: This program is for experts if you delete or remove anything that requires a windows to start it will cause you to reboot Windows. So I wouldn't recommend this part to you but if you need help which ones to remove send a report to: http://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/default.aspxo tell you which files are suspicious, I can help also just send a PM to me if you like.

Here it is:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/
Now when you get the file downloaded and installed, run it as administrator.
Click on "Do a system scan and save a logfile" - the logfile you can send it to me.
After they scanned it they will show a big list of applications that are running.

More Info about those files:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38752

This where you checked things and remove, that's it. Remember be careful if you are not familiar with this or skip this step. So far so good, I have found these great applications as well, I just find these last 3 months and they've helped me allot.

http://www.resplendence.com/sanity

Its a helpful tool to tell which files are corrupted or errors.

These are also very helpful if you encounter BSOD:

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

They are both helpful and give accurate information. This will tell you your crash dumped files and what BSOD error. Now there is also this application to know if your system is stable, while running applications, games and so on:

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Latencymon is a very helpful tool I thank Nodens for that tool. It really helps and show's which system file is the main root of the problem. You just get it download and installed then run the program and go to the "Drivers tab" and click on "Highest execution" to see which file is giving you high results and you will find out that the high results is related to your BSOD errors.

Now what was my nvldmkm.dll error was you are saying? my northbridge was dying. nvldmkm.dll can mean any part of hardware is malfunctioning, its not mainly on GPU. I'm guessing that your system might be malfunctioning causing those instability issues and temperature issues but lets hope not and hopefully its an software issue or your PC needs cleaning up.

This is my thread about the nvldmkm.dll error and I thank everyone who have supported me.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?24895-My-system-is-finally-dying!-(Yes!!-P)

If you don't want to go through this process, you always can reboot Windows (no internet) which will defiantly help to solve if it isn't software issue. If your system is still overheating and giving you that error its more likely to be an hardware issue.

Hope I helped.
Case: Antec 300 Mini Tower Motherboard: GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (rev1.3) CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 560ti (950mhz) RAM: G.Skill 8 GB DDR3 @ 1600mhz PSU: Corsair CX 750 Driver: 320.00
Been building PC's for 8 Years! 😉

sounds like the video card overheated to the point of causing permanent damage. the GPU may not be stable. especially if you're idleing on the desktop and still encountering this issue.

it's a long shot, but you could try a format. the only reason to try this would be to DISPROVE my theory. if you formatted and didn't encounter the issue, then it was a software issue.

HOWEVER, if my theory is correct and you've overheated the GPU to the point of causing permenent damage, no amount of software tweaking is going to save it.

First of all, thank you for reply 🙂
Currently my GPU driver is from asus support and its 311. The most stable driver was 314.22(will be changing to that). I always use driver sweeper when installing drivers. Uninstall driver/boot do safe mode/use driver sweeper/reboot back/install new driver.

@ grungeboy
I would format if I can, but as I have a genuine windows 7, I dont have DVD for it, so I cant install it if I make a format. Altho I have a backup from the day I got the PC, which is only windows and few asus programs. I am living in a dorm and I am going home next weekend(16.5) so until then I cant format(If I want to have genuine win7).

@dstrakele
Thanks. I I know I wrote that thread and I red it before posting this. But still my asus is in warranty, all I can do is to check the fan but I cant repaste. In that thread I updated that I will use new Atheros driver, and I did. So now I have the correct driver as you mentioned it here. Also the info there is how to get the temps lower, and all I can do for it so to clean the fan, which even then wasn't dusty. But now its more serious as you can see, the temps back there were great compared to those I have now. While playing high end game like crysis 3 or age of conan near max settings, I have 80-90 degrees on GPU and CPU both and I dont crash, not even the nvlddmkm, or BSOD, nothing, the system runs great even with that high temp. While idle and I mean doing really nothing(reading a ebook/learning stuff for test/watching video), temp rise to 70-80 on GPU, and CPU 78-90 in a few seconds, and then the lower to normal temp, and again in few minutes they rise again. There was a virus which used GPU for diging some currency it started with iehunt or I cant remember, but I scaned my PC and I had no virus at all(few things which I know are not virus). And again while typing this reply which took me some time, the driver never crashed, and temps are on GPU 45, CPU 50-52...so the old thread cant help me in this matter so much. But I will clean the fan, but only when I am back at home. Last time I played torchlight 2(not so demanding game) and used speedfan to log temp via chart, and GPU was at stable 75 and CPU was 82-86 celsia. You or someone other mentioned throttling, and I tried and use ThrottleStop_400, while I get more FPS, my temps rised too much.

@PlaneName
Thanks for reply. I red it and got a few questions for you. But first of all, I tried checking BIOS temp. but I dont have them there(or I am blind). Also It seems I have kind of locked BIOS, cant change many things, only like time,password,boot order. I too had this problem on desktop rig I had, but I solved it - there was a trick to use cmd to extract a nvlddmkm.sy_ and to rename it to nvlddmkm.sys, and it worked for me. I tried it now and It didnt worked.
I know how to set everything to default settings in BIOS. And I will google how to clean CMOS(never did it before).
The TDR checking which is for 2 seconds I edited to 8. While the driver didnt crash so often, I could see when it hanged. Video stopped responding for example.
I though about unchecking all start up applications, and slowly checking them back to see which is causing the problem, but again finals are here and I dont have so much time, but I can do it this weekend.
Instead if HJT I can run RSIT which has HJT in it. I already have a log which is day or two old. I downloaded the programs you mentioned and after cleaning CMOS as you suggested I will run each of them and post details. The log from HJT or RSIT should I post it here or to you directly via pm ?

Sorry for bad english and mistakes.

Sttyx wrote:
First of all, thank you for reply 🙂

@ grungeboy
I would format if I can, but as I have a genuine windows 7, I dont have DVD for it, so I cant install it if I make a format. Altho I have a backup from the day I got the PC, which is only windows and few asus programs. I am living in a dorm and I am going home next weekend(16.5) so until then I cant format(If I want to have genuine win7).

save this, it's a official download for Windows 7 64-bit, in iso format. it's a regular version from microsoft that allows you to download, burn a DVD

OR

my personal favorite, install it to a USB Thumb Drive using this tool.

Once you do this, you can make a small partition on your main drive, or a secondary (my preference), of about 4 to 8 GB. Once that's done, and Windows is installed, I drag the Windows DVD/Thumb Drive's contents to the folder. I also make another folder in that partition that has the ASUS Drivers and installer program, along with a copy of the newest, stable Nvidia driver.

If anything happens after that, you'll be prepared to handle a format in record time and without needing anything other than the laptop itself.

PlaneName
Level 10
Glad you replied, you can post the both logs here, I'm sure some of us can tell you which files are suspicious. I also have done that little trick with the cmd before it also worked for the first time but it happened again. To clear CMOS you must disconnect the laptop from power, then remove the actual battery from the motherboard for 10-15 minutes, then place it back. I'm not sure if laptops have jumpers but that's the best way to go.

Now you have mention that your CPU and GPU are in fulload when browsing the net? If so you have to disable "Hardware Acceleration". If you are using a different browser you can type on google "disable hardware acceleration on (your browser). Also try change on your NVIDIA settings "Power management mode" to "adaptive", because when browsing the net your GPU will still go to full-load.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/271264-chrome-gpu-hardware-acceleration-turn-off.html

Hope we get this sorted out, my large guess would be an hardware issue as it did to me. Hopefully its an software issue, virus etc and not an hardware issue. Your English is just fine 🙂 we will see you on the weekends. Normally I had an nvlddmkm.sys issue with this new rig I am using but that was my MSI afterburner settings causing it.

Remember nvlddmkm.sys can not only mean its the GPU it also can be any hardware issues or software causing an bug to the hardware.
Case: Antec 300 Mini Tower Motherboard: GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (rev1.3) CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 560ti (950mhz) RAM: G.Skill 8 GB DDR3 @ 1600mhz PSU: Corsair CX 750 Driver: 320.00

PlaneName
Level 10
Its still very strange that your hardware heat up very quickly in just a few seconds by browsing the net and such. Yes like you said make sure to know by steps which files on start-up is causing your system to heat up. I'm almost to 100% that its an hardware issue with one of the hardware's or motherboard. Hope you get the bottom of it.