cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SATA II and SATA III Devices

rjbarker
Level 11
Hi guys
Should be getting my parts today and switching platforms from X58 to X79.

Curious as to installing:

1. New 120GB SATA 3 SSD
2. Installing 2 SATA 2 Optical Drives
3. Installing 1 Vertex II SSD

Is it best to plug th new SATA 3 SSD into the corresponding SATA 3 Ports on the Mobo and the other devices into the SATA 2 Ports?
I would assume its a no brainer plugging the new SATA 3 SSD into the SATA 3 Port, butdoes it matter that much with the SATA 2 devices?

Also, when I get the Mobo, is ther a sticker or something that states what the BIOS version is installed?

Cheers n thanks in advance!!
20 REPLIES 20

HiVizMan
Level 40
When doing your OS install I would strongly suggest that you only have your OS drive installed. Download the Microsoft USB tool and make a USB OS install drive.

The SSD in the Intel 6G SATA port.

The other drives in the Intel 3G SATA ports.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
When doing your OS install I would strongly suggest that you only have your OS drive installed. Download the Microsoft USB tool and make a USB OS install drive.

The SSD in the Intel 6G SATA port.

The other drives in the Intel 3G SATA ports.

Thanks I already have an OEM W7 SP1 Disc, no point in making a Thumb Drive OS installer. (At least I dont see the point having the OEM DVD).

Yes, will only have installed n plugged into Mobo:
1. SSD SATA III Drive to install W7 on
2. DVD RW Optical Drive

Once I've complete my install, Driver install, Anti Virus installed n W& updates I "Systematically" plug in one Drive ata time going thru a Re-boot between each, I have found this ensures correct "Mapping of Drives".
Thanks guys, just not yet famiiar with the SATA Ports on this Board.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
As I learned from ^HiVizMan^ long ago...... somewhere on the board (usually the left hand edge near SATA ports) there will be a very thin white sticker with a bar-code on it. The string of numbers under the bar-code end in a space and then the last four numbers will be the BIOS number for the board.

🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
As you wish. It is not about having the disc you need the disc to make the USB installer. It is simply quicker and quite frankly better and less likely to have a problem using the USB method. But you will/should not have any problems I am sure. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Quick tutorial for you on how the SATA Ports are arranged from left to right(closest to the bottom of the board) 🙂

The 1st pair of ports, meaning 1 hub for 2 SATA ports are ASMedia SATA 3 ports, these are only meant to be used with Data HDD's or Optical Drives.(Red)
The next 2 sets of 2 ports are your Intel SATA 3 ports(Red)
The last 2 sets of 2 ports are the Intel SATA 2 ports.

Hope this clears things up for you and helps you to map your Drive layout 🙂

rjbarker
Level 11
Okay perfect, thanks, so no problems then plugging my Optical Drives into the AsMedia Ports?
In all think I'll have"
1- SATA 3 120GB SSD (Boot)
1 - Vertex II 240GB SSD (Games n Apps)
1 - Formatted Intel 120GB SATA II SSD (mostly Utilities, Becnhmark Programs etc)
1 - 640 GB WD Black (music, data stuff)
2 x Optical Drives (Blueray n DVD)

Is it a big deal to plug SATA 2 SSD into Intel SATA 3 Ports ? Gotta go and start having a look at the manual 😉

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Personally I would plug your optical bay in one of the Intel SATA2 ports and your target SSD in an Intel SATA3 port to do the install. Then once you have installed the LAN driver update to the latest chip-set drivers and AS media driver etc. from the latest on the web....and then you can plug the opticals in the AS media ports etc. as you have described.

Plugging SATA2 discs into SATA3 ports is fine...simply wont saturate bandwidth...

rjbarker
Level 11
Thanks again, right on, you guys are a huge help here!!! Answering all my queries.
One more (for now 😉 ), noticed the 6 Pin Power Plug (for extra power to PCI-E):
1. Is this a standard 6 Pin PCI-E Power plug coming off of my PSU?
2. Book states (Quad SLi for additional power), is it required for SLi only (I have x GTX 680 Classified's very slight OC) ?

I can see that if its required for SLi or Tri SLi I wouldn't have enough PCI-E plugs from my AX 1.2kW. There is a total of 6 sets of 6+2, obviously 6 are required for 3 Cards (yes I have played with Tri SLi in the past).

Anyhow, only planning my 2 GPU's for now, so do I need to plug in the additional PCI-E power connector to the Board? I'm thinking probal not, but just checking 😉

Love the smell of new HW !!

rjbarker wrote:
Love the smell of new HW !!

LOL 😄 it is good!

Yes, it is a standard 6 pin plug and I think it is as the manual says just necessary for a full bank of cards. Having said that I know lots of people plug it in anyway with SLI especially if they are OCing to high levels....just to guarantee stable power.

Maybe one of these....if you go tri SLI

You'll probably add another PSU entirely if you go Quad