cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Asus Maximus Extreme-Z Bios Update!

phaseshift
Level 7
So I have a Maximus IV Extreme-Z motherboard and 3570k. However the motherboard is a Rev 1.0 so I'm guessing it doesn't have the version 3 bios. What is the best possible way to flash my bios to the current bios version for my board so that the 3570k will work? I do not have a Sandy Bridge CPU to put into the motherboard.
16 REPLIES 16

SUKARA
Level 10
Used this model cpu must be upgrade to the motherboard bios version 3203 or later

Maximus IV extreme -Z cpu support list by asus website:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=maximus iv extreme-z&p=1&s=39

so, please help to check you os version the to upgrade the motherboard bios and reference followed as:

For windows7/8:
bios file download link:
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=39&m=Maximus%20IV%20Extreme-Z&os=29&ft=3&f_...

note:
For proper operation, please ensure to update Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to version 11.5.0.1207 and BIOS to version 3603 before enabling Intel Smart Response Technology.

Update procedure for users needing Intel Smart Response Technology:
(1) Enter OS, and ensure Intel Smart Response Technology has been turned off under Intel Rapid Storage Technology interface.
(2) Install version Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to version 11.5.0.1207
(3) Reboot the system, and update BIOS to version 3603, then reboot.
(4) Enter the BIOS setup screen, press F5 to load BIOS default, then change the Intel SATA Port to RAID mode.
(5) Boot into OS, and re-enable Intel Smart Response Technology under Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

Windows XP/Vista:
bios file download link:
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=39&m=Maximus%20IV%20Extreme-Z&os=29&ft=3&f_...

note:
For proper operation, please ensure to update Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to version 11.2.0.1006 and BIOS to version 3603 before enabling Intel Smart Response Technology.

Update procedure for users needing Intel Smart Response Technology:
(1) Enter OS, and ensure Intel Smart Response Technology has been turned off under Intel Rapid Storage Technology interface.
(2) Install version Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to version 11.2.0.1006
(3) Reboot the system, and update BIOS to version 3603, then reboot.
(4) Enter the BIOS setup screen, press F5 to load BIOS default, then change the Intel SATA Port to RAID mode.
(5) Boot into OS, and re-enable Intel Smart Response Technology under Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

phaseshift
Level 7
I read that part, but I'm a little confused if I can use Asus Flashback tool since I don't have a Sandy Bridge cpu to use to boot into bios.

I guess my question is, can I update my bios to the above version without a CPU?

Chino
Level 15
The only requirement for USB BIOS Flashback is that your motherboard is getting power. A CPU is not required to use that procedure.

Chino wrote:
The only requirement for USB BIOS Flashback is that your motherboard is getting power. A CPU is not required to use that procedure.

So pretty much all I would have to do is format a usb drive to fat32, put current bios version .ROM into the usb. Plug it into the white USB port and hold the button for 3 seconds?

I don't have to convert the .rom file to cap?

says it requires a asus X79 motherboard? I have Z68?

Chino
Level 15
1. Download the 3203 BIOS from Asus website.
2. Format a USB pendrive to FAT32.
3. Extract the BIOS file and rename the file to M4EZ.ROM.
4. Put the BIOS file on your USB pendrive.
5. Connect the USB pendrive to the white usb port.
6. Press the USB BIOS Flashback button/ROG Connect button for three seconds till the LED begins to blink, then release.
7. Wait till the LED stops blinking.

And you're done, my friend.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please do what Chino has suggested,you do not need a CPU in the system, nor do you need memory. All you need is for the sytem to be connected to your PSU and your PSU to be powered. Your board must not be powered up.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

phaseshift
Level 7
I did just that, and I'm up and running with bios 3203. I read somewhere that only upgrade to the first bios your cpu was compatible with which is 3203 for the 3570k.

Now should I upgrade now to the newest bios or keep it at 3203?

Btw thanks for the write-up chino, I really appreciate it.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Only update the bios if it covers fixes for existing problems.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you are happy with your system and your system is doing what you want it to do, then why is there any need to upgrade?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.