cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erratic CPU fan readings

skymaster54
Level 7
Bought a Maximus Extreme V from Newegg about six weeks ago. I am cooling it with a brand new Swiftech 220 water cooler. At first the CPU readings were pretty steady, but now, the CPU fan readings fluctuate from 1600+ to 1200+ to 450+ to zero. I get no reading from the CPU fan header at all now. I emailed Swiftech and they think that it is erratic readings from MB and not a failure of their product since the computer has not shut down. Does anyone have this problem?
7 REPLIES 7

SUKARA
Level 10
Did you have try to replace another one fan connectors(EX: chassis or power fan connectors..)
and please help re-flash the motherboard bios for test it again
if still the issue can't solved,maybe you can help to put the fan to another pc test...

Chino
Level 15

used the asus suite, speedfan and hwm. have tried to connect the other fans to it and will try to flash bios first. thanks.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Sky' .. indeed, Welcome to ROG.
Only run one.
And most of 'us' will tell you to uninstall 'suite'.
It is a neat little 'toy' but most rely on other solutions.
Best of Luck.c.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please do only use one application for measuring temperature or any other polling function. When two or more application try to access the same polling point there can be conflict and the result is incorrect readings.

The best way to see if your fans are actually spinning is to look at them.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

skymaster54
Level 7
I have run both hwm, speedfan and have switched fan/cpu headers around. When I one of the radiator fans is plugged into the cpu header, the cpu header fan registers the fan at a steady 1553. The pump fan goes to zero in the other aux fan header. Obviously the fans spin. But is the pump working? I guess to a point it might since the cpu has not locked up, but I was trying to find out. Swifteck blames the MB. Thanks for all help.

kkn
Level 14
well if the pump is running and no rpm is given, then its working ( hold your hand on it to see if it makes small vibrations )
it can be that the pump dont have RPM signal on it ( just guessing ).