cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73SW-A1 CPU (And other) Upgrades

Retired
Not applicable
Hi all, ASUS noob here. I've been searching and searching for days now and have yet to come up with the definitive (or competent) answer I'm seeking.

I love this notebook bunches and bunches!

However, I want to state categorically that I'm still miffed about the fact that about a month or so after I bought my i7-740qm powered model, the very same model number was shipped with the gen 2 i7-2630qm. Same price, same everything else but CPU.

Having said that, what are my CPU upgrade options, seeing that my 1 year warranty is up as of September? Can I install an i7-9??xm series? Or am I limited to the 840qm?

If I'm limited to the anemic 840qm, how could I go about upgrading to the newer gen 2 compatible motherboard?

And while I'm on a roll, I'm guessing that those spiffy 1tb 7200 enterprise class HDDs are physically too large for this machine?

And 1 final thing, this time about video... Is there any possibility of GPU upgrades to say a 480 or even better, a 485 based chip, on the horizon?

I'm grateful for any valid responses I get

I'm not a notebook noob, just new to ASUS.
- CPU, HD, RAM upgrades on Dell Inspiron 6400
- CPU, GPU, HD, RAM upgrades on Dell XPS 1710
- RAM, HDD & LCD replacement on Toshiba Satellite G605
- About a dozen other laptop projects I've been 'roped' into

I'm by no means a professional, but I'm not faint of heart in regards to laptop innards either.
5 REPLIES 5

jorlanm
Level 7
For CPU you can go for the i7 9xx...as for the GPU ASUS uses non standard MXM cards...they use same sockets but different PCB deigns...

However the new GTX 560m seems to be replacing 460m's on the G53 and the VX7 chassis where as the G73 got left out since they got the G74...

So its quite possible the 560's will work on your G73...But yopu need to check with ASUS with that...
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks. Do you know what I can do about the extra 10 watts dissipated by the i7-9xx vs the i7-7xx or even i7-8xx? Is there an upgrade for the cooling availabe?

Chastity
Level 10
Won't be necessary to upgrade the cooling. With a 920XM, you should be able to do 3.1 - 3.2 base just fine. With the 940XM, you can go higher, but you will need a beefier PSU, plus you may have thermal issues before hitting max speeds. This is the main reason why the 920XM is preferred, as you prolly not be able to do the 3.6 speeds on the 940xm. Of course, with a good laptop cooler, you can.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks Chastity. Are you privvy to ASUS corporate policy?? Does ASUS have any kind of buy back policy so I can get the higher performing Gen 2 series??

Chastity
Level 10
None that I am aware of. I can see what I can find out tho. 🙂
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]