cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Boot !!

rjbarker
Level 11
Ok, on my Notebook as I'm in the middle of W7 Install. Went quicly through BIOS as really wanted to see my CPU Temp (always when I first install to ensure 100i seated correctly)...temp looked good 27c , its hot hee right now and likely about the same temp in my PC Room.

I did notice something odd though, the BIOS only shows 12GB RAM and I have 16GB installed ??

Is this a quirk that is easily rectified or am I missing something obvious? I'm going ahead with the W7 install right now. I ended up missing soething and didnt get the option to boot from DVD Device WITH EUFI, so I guess its just a regular load, no biggie as no RAID or W8 planned.

Please let me know about the 12GB detected though instead of 16GB, this isthe firt time I've seen this in a number of builds. (I'm very meticulous when I build, take my time..double n triple check all connections etc).

Thanks in advance
18 REPLIES 18

SUKARA
Level 10
Sorry!
Did you already upgrade to motherboard latest version bios ?
Or try to set the bios to default setting for test..

rjbarker
Level 11
I have been trying all sorts of things to get the BIOS to recognize all 16GB, to no avail:
1. Took out all 4 Dimms and installed 1 Dimm in Socket D1 - Reboot and posted showing 4GB
2. Installed 2nd Stick in DIMM Socket B1 - Reboot and Posted showing 8GB
3. Installed 3rd Stick in DIMM Socket A1 - Reboot and Posted showing 12GB (I know this would be Triple Channel)
4. Installed 4th Stick in DIMM Socket C1 - Reboot and Posted showing 12GB !!!!

So, at this point I really dont see what updating my BIOS from 3404 (brand new Board fairly new BIOS) will accomplish.
I would like to try switch BIOS though and see if that does anything.

Havent run MEMTEST yet on the Sticks.

I am going to see if I can get any RAM to Post in that DIMM Socket C1

If it works my next step will be to remove th h100i Heatsink and inspect Socket Pins, re-seat CPU and try again.

I did have 3 of these 4 Sticks running in Tri Channel in my Evga Classifed X58 Board w 980X and no issues.

Is it common for these Boards to have faulty DIMM Slots ?
And yes I did do a Clear CMOS andtred, still 12GB only.

Thanks for your assistance

Chino
Level 15
Make sure all your modules are seated properly in the red slots. Then proceed to verify that you didn't overtightened the screws that hold the Noctua NF 12F in place.

EDIT: Is this a 4x4GB kit or two 2x4GB kits? Also try each module one at a one in the DIMM_D1 slot. See if your system posts with each module.

Yes it 4 x 4GB Kit....I have ensured proper "seating" of RAM, hell if I "seated" it any more firmly and squarely in the Sockets I'd drive it right through the Mobo 😉

OK, so here is what I did (further to what I Posted earlier):
1. 1 Stick in DIMM Socket D1 - Post fine showing 4GB
2. Moved that same (know its working Stick) to DIMM Socket B1 - Post Fine showing 4GB
3. Moved that same working Stick to DIMM Socket A1 - Post Fine showing 4GB

Now:
4. Moved that same working Stick to DIMM Socket C1 - NO POST DEBUG Code 53 (Memory Error)
5. Tried my other 3 Sticks in DIMM Socket C1 - NO POST DEBUG Code 53 - same thing.

As my testing above in previous Post, all was good up to 3 Sticks - Posting with 12GB, as soon as throw another stick in DIMM Socket C1, yes it will Post, but only 12GB, take out the Stick out C1 and STILL 12GB.

Now, I have built a number of Rigs over the past 7 yrs, have never had to troubleshoot Memory to this extent. (lucky I guess), But would folks hee concur that I have a faulty DIMM Socket C1?

Not using a Noctua NF F12 Cooler, its a Corsair 100i with Noctua NF 12F Fans mounted on the Rad.
Now I did tighten the heasink / pump assembly of the 100i down pretty hard, (same as I did on my Classified 759 Board), but what I'm going to do now, is remove the heatsink, inspect the Socket Pins and reinstall Heatsink with a little less pressure.

If that doesnt "cure" the problem, I'm stumped, other than RMA the Board.

Thoughts guys...cheers n thanks for the support.

Chino wrote:
Make sure all your modules are seated properly in the red slots. Then proceed to verify that you didn't overtightened the screws that hold the Noctua NF 12F in place.

EDIT: Is this a 4x4GB kit or two 2x4GB kits? Also try each module one at a one in the DIMM_D1 slot. See if your system posts with each module.

The System will Post fine with any of the single Sticks in any of the Red DIMM Slots EXCEPT DIMM Slot C1...no Post and Debug Error Code 53.

I've set up an RMA with the Retailor.....ther isnt a setting in the BIOS for switching from Triple Channel to Quad Channel is there..I looked but didnt see anything.

Also tried switching to other BIOS, same problem......bummer...oh well, got W7 HP installed, didnt bother with any Drivers or anything though, will wait till I get another Board.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well first thought here is (if it is a single quad channel kit) about the pressure from the cooler and/or the socket pins. The cooler displacing the CPU or a bent pin can cause this. So I'm waiting to see if a remount with only thumb tight pressure cures this or what you see in the socket.

Hi Arne...Pins all look ok as far as my old eyes with a Magnifying Glass go.
I need to tweak the 100i tighter than thumb tight, otherwise temps heat up......when I installed this on my Classified Board with 980X I tighten that pump/ heatsink down good n tight...had great temps.
Anyhow, funny that in BIOS / Tool / Asus SPD Info DIMM Slot C1 was show my Stick of Dominator?
Oh well, I can send back to Retailor as I just purchased the Board 5 days ago.....

EDIT: One last ditch effort before packaging up the Board, will try Flashing BIOS to latest 3602 and see if that corrects the issue.

Thanks

HiVizMan
Level 40
RMA your motherboard please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK on the pins. Seems to me though if you have to tighten that cooler down with pliers it is a bit out of kilter.

Anyhow...sure I would try the BIOS flash...easy enough to do...

By the way did you ever try CPUz and see if that was reporting the memory....?