ProcessorCore i7 7700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C15D-16GTZR 2x8GB kits
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition
    Graphics Card #2Can't afford it
    Graphics Card #3!!!!
    Graphics Card #4!!!!!!!
    Sound CardMotherboard Built-in
    MonitorDell U3011
    Storage #1ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB x 2 in RAID0 (trying to)
    Storage #2WD RED 3TB x 2
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i Pro 360mm AIO
    CaseNZXT H700i
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i Platinum
    Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon RGB Mech Keyboard
    Mouse Logitech G502 Hero Gaming Mouse (Wired)
    Headset Corsair Vengenace Pro 2000
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula (2011 model)
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z2300 (the king of all 2.1 PC Speakers)
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterTP-Link C3150 AC Router

Thx for correction nodens....!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nodens View Post

You don't need to do this on TRIM supporting drives. Unless you want to bench the drive. Otherwise you're just reducing its life by incurring unnecessary writes all across the drive.

If there is no UEFI GOP firmware for the video card, it doesn't matter as you can keep CSM on, with UEFI first suboptions. You won't get the spped improvement in booting but if your video card has no UEFI GOP for it out yet thats all you can do.

Keep current is not needed or suggested. There is no OROM loaded at all so it would affect nothing at all. Unless your array has an issue. With keep current you won't see it while booting. So it's a bad idea.

Also you can't disable CSM entirely if you're installing Win7.

12.6 OROM is entirely irrelevant to this process and in fact if you install in UEFI mode, it's not even used so there's no point, AT ALL, flashing a modded UEFI image with it.
    Last edited by apocalypzez; 05-10-2013 at 10:22 PM.
    ASUS Maximus IX APEX || Core i7 7700K || Corsair H150i Pro || EVGA RTX 2080 Ti B.E. || G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C15D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 @ 15-16-16-35-2N || ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB x 2 (RAID0) || WD RED 3TB x 2 || Corsair AX1200i || NZXT H700i (without the smart hub) || Dell U3011 || Windows 10 Pro x64 || Logitech Z2300 THX Certified 2.1 & Corsair Vengeance 2000 ||

My two cents...

Could not install Windows 8 UEFI mode from CD/DVD drive. For some reason my ESD.ISO does not show up as UEFI. However, when I made a bootable USB drive image from the same ESD.ISO, I was able to utilize that as a UEFI boot. Under UEFI boot, the RAID 0 array partitioned appropriately (4 partitions).

To make a bootable USB drive I utilized Microsoft Stores Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool at http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...emeID.29553000

Hope this helps.
    Asus MVE @1707, IRST 12.5, MEI @ 8.01, w/Intel i7-3770K@4.60 Ghz @ 1.275 with .050 - offset, on Corsair H100, w/(4) Corsair XMS 2000 @ 2000 9-10-9-27-51 @1.65, (2) Crucial C300 128 GBs running in RAID 0 as primary drive, with 3 Terabytes of Data Drives. (1) Powercoler 7870 MYST stock.

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

Quote Originally Posted by feniks View Post
    you don't need to convert anything or clean anything. just go to BIOS and disable the CSM, then boot to Win8 EFI installation media (F8 at boot up, select "UEFI: DVD/USB media") and in installer select the destination drive, delete all partitions (so it stays empty), then make it install on that empty drive. win8 will take care of everything and prep GPT layout.
    He does need to clean and convert. If you read the OP's issue carefully you will see that he followed the guide (which instructs to delete partitions) and his disk was NOT partitioned as GPT. This is a common issue hence the troubleshooting step in the guide.
    The Windows installer has issues and does not always figure out things properly. It can get and will get confused with disks that have leftover metadata, have been mistakenly being made into dynamic disks and several other situations.

Also as I already said. He does not need a UEFI GOP on the card. UEFI instalaltion does not equal CSM off. If there is no UEFI GOP for his card, he can not turn off CSM but he can install perfectly fine in UEFI mode with CSM on and UEFI First suboptions.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Banned Array

since EVGA is quick in providing UEFI GOP, then why not use it for 100% pure UEFI boot with Secure boot mode? that utilizes all features of UEFI and really speeds things up with CSM disabled (which implies UEFI, but not the secure boot mode).

I myself also had issues with booting UEFI from win8 DVD, but that was because my SATA controller was running RAID mode as well. I had no choice but to use USb bootable stick in UEFI mode, in AHCI mode the DVD works fien in UEFI bootable mode.

Nodens PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

since EVGA is quick in providing UEFI GOP, then why not use it for 100% pure UEFI boot with Secure boot mode? that utilizes all features of UEFI and really speeds things up with CSM disabled (which implies UEFI, but not the secure boot mode).
    The OP did not mention the brand of his 670 cards. And you can not flash just any UEFI GOP to any card unless you like experimenting, have an EEPROM programmer handy and actually know what you're doing. Also this kind of flashing will void your warranty. This is why I mentioned the available options (it's in the guide as well) Of course if there is a UEFI GOP released for your cards, you can flash it and turn CSM off. But it is not actually required to install in UEFI mode.

As far as Secure Boot goes, at this point, it's a bad idea to keep it on unless you only plan on running Win8 on your PC or you're actually familiar with the specification, how to add certificates to the UEFI and selfsign bootloaders in case you plan on dual booting things.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Banned Array

dude, please your post is full of crap to be honest ...

OP did mention the brand, he said his cards are "gtx 670 ftw 4gb ", do you know of any OTHER vendor selling cards under this exact name except for EVGA? he also even admitted contacting them!

I do keep secure boot turned on because I run windows 8 and I have no idea what you are talking about when mentioning self-signed boot loaders, don't know of anybody who ever cared about it or even had a problem with it in order to go that deep. it just works, either with win7 (no secure boot supported by this system) or win8 (secure boot supported), you can reset it from BIOS if needed, it gets refreshed after restart. never a problem with it on several UEFI builds.

I think you are over complicating the problem and going to deep into specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodens View Post
    The OP did not mention the brand of his 670 cards. And you can not flash just any UEFI GOP to any card unless you like experimenting, have an EEPROM programmer handy and actually know what you're doing. Also this kind of flashing will void your warranty. This is why I mentioned the available options (it's in the guide as well) Of course if there is a UEFI GOP released for your cards, you can flash it and turn CSM off. But it is not actually required to install in UEFI mode.

As far as Secure Boot goes, at this point, it's a bad idea to keep it on unless you only plan on running Win8 on your PC or you're actually familiar with the specification, how to add certificates to the UEFI and selfsign bootloaders in case you plan on dual booting things.

ROG Member Array

Just a little report I got everything working my SSD is now being formatted correctly and I also got the UEFI bios for my video cards. Iv got one last question regarding this since I'm still learning. When I turn CSM off I am no longer able to chose anything other then windows boot loader when I f8 on startup. Is there something I'm missing or is this normal behavior?

Thanks again for all the help iv really learned a lot!

Banned Array

grats!

that would be a normal behavior with CSM disabled. it skips checking on Legacy Boot devices, hence why you are seeing only a Windows Boot Manager. it would also detect EFi compatible USB or DVD media if it was inserted, but it won't give you option to boot anything else this way.

If you need to boot from USB media (not in EFI mode) then you need to enable the CSM back on for that one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Just a little report I got everything working my SSD is now being formatted correctly and I also got the UEFI bios for my video cards. Iv got one last question regarding this since I'm still learning. When I turn CSM off I am no longer able to chose anything other then windows boot loader when I f8 on startup. Is there something I'm missing or is this normal behavior?

Thanks again for all the help iv really learned a lot!
    Last edited by feniks; 05-12-2013 at 03:11 AM.

Nodens PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

dude, please your post is full of crap to be honest ...
    First of all, if you use that tone again I'll give you a vacation from the forum as this behavior will not be tolerated. Be polite. Also before you accuse anyone of being full of crap, you may want to actually know what you are talking about. Otherwise be silent.

OP did mention the brand, he said his cards are "gtx 670 ftw 4gb ", do you know of any OTHER vendor selling cards under this exact name except for EVGA? he also even admitted contacting them!
    The OP specifically said:
    SLI GTX 670s
    He added the word "ftw" in a post after my initial reply, which I admit that I missed. Still the generic information I gave prior to that applies to everyone. Very few cards actually have UEFI GOP available. So stating the facts is what is important. The options in such case (which stand for the majority of users) were clearly stated.

I do keep secure boot turned on because I run windows 8 and I have no idea what you are talking about when mentioning self-signed boot loaders, don't know of anybody who ever cared about it or even had a problem with it in order to go that deep. it just works, either with win7 (no secure boot supported by this system) or win8 (secure boot supported), you can reset it from BIOS if needed, it gets refreshed after restart. never a problem with it on several UEFI builds.
    Again. You better research what you're talking about before you talk about it. It may help you to actually read my guide which explains what Secure Boot is and does which apparently you know nothing about. A simple search in the forum will find you lots of people that dual boot linux or operating systems that are not aware of Secure Boot. My guide explains exactly what it is and what the options are and do, so EACH user can make their own mind about it. And yes it can be toggled on and off but that assumes the user knows what it is, so they can locate their issue being that. Telling people to just turn it on, without knowing yourself what it does and how it works let alone the person who follows the advice, is just WRONG. When they try to install something else and fail, they won't ever think Secure Boot may be causing it unless they actually read, understand what it is and make an informed choice.

I think you are over complicating the problem and going to deep into specs.
    I am not overcomplicating anything. The fact that you don't have an issue with Secure Boot does not mean others don't as well. Your configuration is not everyone's configuration. Also toggling it off every time you want to dual boot something else is hardly an option.

Also the only problem here was the OP's drive not being automatically converted to GPT by the Windows installer to which I offered a solution. Secure Boot AND UEFI GOP were totally unrelated things to the user's issue that were being suggested as having something to do with his issue while they did not. It was suggested by you that CSM had to be off for the UEFI installation. This is not true and I stated this. Over complicating the problem is actually suggesting things that are irrelevant to the original issue as things to do to solve the issue.

Also as far as Secure Boot being a bad idea, this is something the majority of the industry, except Microsoft, agrees on. Because what the feature does is letting Microsoft dictate what you can boot and what you can not. Unless, you jump through the .pki hoops. It is a useless feature that don't actually protect you from anything because there are ways for malware to hook into the boot process without being affected by it, albeit later in the process (but also bypassing Secure Boot entirely). The idea behind the original UEFI specification abstract is for the user to be able to control what runs and what does not. The actual implementation is far from it.

Some food for thought:
    http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-windo...st-7000013248/
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/20321...cure-boot.html
    http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/23817.html
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-20...re-boot-issue/

Yes you can hook the boot process even under Secure Boot:
    http://arstechnica.com/business/2011...8-secure-boot/

RealBench Developer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast