cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Extreme Win8 UEFI

Rift
Level 7
Hey all I'm having a bit of trouble here and was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. Iv been following the bellow guide on how to install Win8 under UEFI.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30520-RAMPAGE-Windows-8-7-UEFI-Installation-Guide

I know it's not the exact same board but from what I can tell the relevant options are the same.

My hardware configuration is as follows

I7 3770k
Maximus V Extreme (Bios 1707)
16GB Dominator Platinum
Samsung 840 Pro
SLI GTX 670s

When I go to I stall I hit f8 and select the DVD drive that has the UEFI prefix at the beginning. I then follow the steps per normal till I get to the part where I need to format the drive. This is where the problem happens for some reason or another its not formatting the SSD to a GPT array and I can't forthr life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be really apriciated at this point iv tried everything I know.

Thanks in advanced!
28 REPLIES 28

HiVizMan
Level 40
Think there are differences in the BIOS with the Maximus board.

And the steps listed in the RIVE article do not sync.

Will try and get Nodens to engage with this thread for you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Nodens
Level 16
Thanks for the heads up HiVizMan:)

Rift, did you follow the troubleshooting part of the guide? Following that should fix the issue.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Rift
Level 7
Hey Nodens I followed the first part where it shows yu how to use disks art to clean the drive. Unfortunately no go. It always just creates two partitions.

apocalypzez
Level 10
I used parted magic to restore ssd performance. And regarding GPT partition and UEFI boot guide, first thing is to make sure your GPU/s has the required UEFI BIOS (I got it from evga upon requesting them personally via email), after that just disable CSM and use other OS under secured boot. Also enable fast boot under boot menu and if you using raid make sure you have the OROM message as keep current, coz your raid menu should appear inside bios once CSM disabled (these process will help you get that extra boot speed, especially during bios post) nd just follow the windows 8 prompt....!! Would be straight forward. However I used the modded 1707 BIOS with 12.6 RAID OROM but overall sequence should be the same.
Good luck
ASUS Maximus IX APEX || Core i7 7700K || Corsair H150i Pro || EVGA RTX 2080 Ti B.E. || G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C15D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 @ 15-16-16-35-2N || ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB x 2 (RAID0) || WD RED 3TB x 2 || Corsair AX1200i || NZXT H700i (without the smart hub) || Dell U3011 || Windows 10 Pro x64 || Logitech Z2300 THX Certified 2.1 & Corsair Vengeance 2000 ||

Rift wrote:
Hey Nodens I followed the first part where it shows yu how to use disks art to clean the drive. Unfortunately no go. It always just creates two partitions.

After the "clean" command, issue a "convert gpt" as well.

apocalypzez wrote:
I used parted magic to restore ssd performance.

You don't need to do this on TRIM supporting drives. Unless you want to bench the drive. Otherwise you're just reducing its life by incurring unnecessary writes all across the drive.

And regarding GPT partition and UEFI boot guide, first thing is to make sure your GPU/s has the required UEFI BIOS (I got it from evga upon requesting them personally via email), after that just disable CSM and use other OS under secured boot. Also enable fast boot under boot menu and if you using raid make sure you have the OROM message as keep current, coz your raid menu should appear inside bios once CSM disabled (these process will help you get that extra boot speed, especially during bios post) nd just follow the windows 8 prompt....!! Would be straight forward. However I used the modded 1707 BIOS with 12.6 RAID OROM but overall sequence should be the same.
Good luck

If there is no UEFI GOP firmware for the video card, it doesn't matter as you can keep CSM on, with UEFI first suboptions. You won't get the spped improvement in booting but if your video card has no UEFI GOP for it out yet thats all you can do.

Keep current is not needed or suggested. There is no OROM loaded at all so it would affect nothing at all. Unless your array has an issue. With keep current you won't see it while booting. So it's a bad idea.

Also you can't disable CSM entirely if you're installing Win7.

12.6 OROM is entirely irrelevant to this process and in fact if you install in UEFI mode, it's not even used so there's no point, AT ALL, flashing a modded UEFI image with it.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

feniks
Level 11
you don't need to convert anything or clean anything. just go to BIOS and disable the CSM, then boot to Win8 EFI installation media (F8 at boot up, select "UEFI: DVD/USB media") and in installer select the destination drive, delete all partitions (so it stays empty), then make it install on that empty drive. win8 will take care of everything and prep GPT layout.

worth noting is that you need a video card BIOS compatible with EFI boot as well, otherwise computer won't boot in EFI mode with Secure Mode. UEFI GOP is support on 660+ series cards from nvidia, but need to be requested from Tech support and flashed by user.
Titan cards come with UEFI GOP from factory, 700 series will probably follow the same route.
.: R3C0NF1GUR3D :.
ASUS MVE :: 3770K bench @ 5.2GHz (delidded) :: 2x4GB Mushkin 996990 @ 2400MHz CL10 @ 1.7V :: evga 670 2GB SLI @ 1280/7108 :: Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD RAID0 (OS) :: WD RE4 2TB (storage) 2TB :: Hitachi Deskstar 5K300 2TB (backup USB3.0) :: ASUS VG248QE 24'' 144Hz monitor

My rig with pictures
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Thanks for all the help guys I will give these options a try. Can't call evga right now but would anyone here have gtx 670 ftw 4gb UEFI bios files?

Thanks again I will post progress as soon as I get to trying it!

Thx for correction nodens....!!

Nodens wrote:

You don't need to do this on TRIM supporting drives. Unless you want to bench the drive. Otherwise you're just reducing its life by incurring unnecessary writes all across the drive.

If there is no UEFI GOP firmware for the video card, it doesn't matter as you can keep CSM on, with UEFI first suboptions. You won't get the spped improvement in booting but if your video card has no UEFI GOP for it out yet thats all you can do.

Keep current is not needed or suggested. There is no OROM loaded at all so it would affect nothing at all. Unless your array has an issue. With keep current you won't see it while booting. So it's a bad idea.

Also you can't disable CSM entirely if you're installing Win7.

12.6 OROM is entirely irrelevant to this process and in fact if you install in UEFI mode, it's not even used so there's no point, AT ALL, flashing a modded UEFI image with it.
ASUS Maximus IX APEX || Core i7 7700K || Corsair H150i Pro || EVGA RTX 2080 Ti B.E. || G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C15D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 @ 15-16-16-35-2N || ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB x 2 (RAID0) || WD RED 3TB x 2 || Corsair AX1200i || NZXT H700i (without the smart hub) || Dell U3011 || Windows 10 Pro x64 || Logitech Z2300 THX Certified 2.1 & Corsair Vengeance 2000 ||

feniks wrote:
you don't need to convert anything or clean anything. just go to BIOS and disable the CSM, then boot to Win8 EFI installation media (F8 at boot up, select "UEFI: DVD/USB media") and in installer select the destination drive, delete all partitions (so it stays empty), then make it install on that empty drive. win8 will take care of everything and prep GPT layout.

He does need to clean and convert. If you read the OP's issue carefully you will see that he followed the guide (which instructs to delete partitions) and his disk was NOT partitioned as GPT. This is a common issue hence the troubleshooting step in the guide.
The Windows installer has issues and does not always figure out things properly. It can get and will get confused with disks that have leftover metadata, have been mistakenly being made into dynamic disks and several other situations.

Also as I already said. He does not need a UEFI GOP on the card. UEFI instalaltion does not equal CSM off. If there is no UEFI GOP for his card, he can not turn off CSM but he can install perfectly fine in UEFI mode with CSM on and UEFI First suboptions.

RealBench Developer.