cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[MVF] Boot loop - Motherboard boots for 3 seconds and turns off -> repeats endlessly

xylles
Level 7
Hi.

I just bought the Maximus V Formula motherboard, and it seemed awesome.

However

After installing it into my chassis and turning it on, aswell as the computer, it seemed to go into a boot loop, as I would call it. It starts, nothing on screen, 2 - 3 seconds later, it turns off. Two seconds later, it restarts. And this goes on and on.

I found a couple of threads
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?32541-Maximus-V-Formula-Rebooting-before-posting-errors&cou...
and such

I have even tried to take out the battery and waited a minute before placing it back on the motherboard.

I have also tried to unplug every connection, GPU, CPU etc, and put it back on. Didn't work. Then I tried to update the BIOS for 1707. Did also not work. This board seems bricked in my eyes.

My setup:
Chassis: R4
nVidia 560Ti
I5 2500 (upgrading this soon)
Corsair XMS 1866mHz CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 (compatible)

Any suggestions? I'm really considering to get a new one through guaranties, but not before I've tried this forum.
13 REPLIES 13

limitz
Level 7
Try Breadboarding all the components outside chassis. Google the terminology.
I had a similar problem you are having and it turned out my CPU was shot and so had it RMA'd.
Maximus V Formula | i7 3770K | Windows 8 Pro x64 | Corsair H100 | Corsair 1050HX | Corsair GT 120 SSD x2 RAID 0 | Corsair GT DDR3 8GB | EVGA GTX 580 | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Corsair 800D

- "Closed mouths do not get fed" 😉

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, xylles.

Did you install the MPCIe card? If so, try removing it for now and see if your system will posts.

NemesisChild wrote:
Any motherboard error codes displayed during the brief attempt to post?
Try posting with only one stick of memory installed, in the slot furthest from the CPU.
Check the CPU socket for bent or broken pins.

None of the error codes displays. The Q-codes won't even show. I have tried using one RAM slot aswell, as the manual suggests.

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, xylles.

Did you install the MPCIe card? If so, try removing it for now and see if your system will posts.

I will try this when I get back home tomorrow. You'll get an update on this then. 🙂

Okay, so it seems that my CPU has said its goodbyes during its transfer from my old motherboard, as I tried running it on my old motherboard and I got the same result.

Before this, I tried running it without the multi card.

Thanks for the tips guys. I will be getting a new CPU, and if I appear in the same situation as earlier (yey me then), I'll update this thread.

Again; Thanks!

NemesisChild
Level 12
Any motherboard error codes displayed during the brief attempt to post?
Try posting with only one stick of memory installed, in the slot furthest from the CPU.
Check the CPU socket for bent or broken pins.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Chino
Level 15

before you blame the cpu , try to power the board without cpu and see if the same is happening .
change power supply .

sstephan wrote:
before you blame the cpu , try to power the board without cpu and see if the same is happening .
change power supply .

Agreed, sounds like a PSU gone bad, very unlikely a defective CPU.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

sstephan wrote:
change power supply .

NemesisChild wrote:
Agreed, sounds like a PSU gone bad, very unlikely a defective CPU.

I'm not sure how the PSU could cause the problem. The LED besides its PIN-connector lights red whenever it's plugged in and is turned on, but whenever I turn the motherboard on, it boots for 3 seconds, then turns itself off. The motherboard itself is shining red when the PSU is on.

However, I tried booting without the CPU, and I get the exact same result with both motherboards. My previous Gigabyte card is booting as well, however for one second. When CPU is equipped; same.

So I assume it's the CPU. Right? :confused: