Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Maximus V Extreme Win8 UEFI

Hey all I'm having a bit of trouble here and was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. Iv been following the bellow guide on how to install Win8 under UEFI.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...allation-Guide

I know it's not the exact same board but from what I can tell the relevant options are the same.

My hardware configuration is as follows

I7 3770k
    Maximus V Extreme (Bios 1707)
    16GB Dominator Platinum
    Samsung 840 Pro
    SLI GTX 670s

When I go to I stall I hit f8 and select the DVD drive that has the UEFI prefix at the beginning. I then follow the steps per normal till I get to the part where I need to format the drive. This is where the problem happens for some reason or another its not formatting the SSD to a GPT array and I can't forthr life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be really apriciated at this point iv tried everything I know.

Thanks in advanced!

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Think there are differences in the BIOS with the Maximus board.

And the steps listed in the RIVE article do not sync.

Will try and get Nodens to engage with this thread for you.
    Last edited by HiVizMan; 05-09-2013 at 09:13 PM.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

Thanks for the heads up HiVizMan

Rift, did you follow the troubleshooting part of the guide? Following that should fix the issue.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

ROG Member Array

Hey Nodens I followed the first part where it shows yu how to use disks art to clean the drive. Unfortunately no go. It always just creates two partitions.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array apocalypzez PC Specs
    apocalypzez PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)I would like to get a sexy 'LAP'top...;p
    MotherboardMaximus IX APEX
    ProcessorCore i7 7700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C15D-16GTZR 2x8GB kits
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition
    Graphics Card #2Can't afford it
    Graphics Card #3!!!!
    Graphics Card #4!!!!!!!
    Sound CardMotherboard Built-in
    MonitorDell U3011
    Storage #1ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB x 2 in RAID0 (trying to)
    Storage #2WD RED 3TB x 2
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i Pro 360mm AIO
    CaseNZXT H700i
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i Platinum
    Keyboard Logitech G512 Carbon RGB Mech Keyboard
    Mouse Logitech G502 Hero Gaming Mouse (Wired)
    Headset Corsair Vengenace Pro 2000
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula (2011 model)
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z2300 (the king of all 2.1 PC Speakers)
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterTP-Link C3150 AC Router

I used parted magic to restore ssd performance. And regarding GPT partition and UEFI boot guide, first thing is to make sure your GPU/s has the required UEFI BIOS (I got it from evga upon requesting them personally via email), after that just disable CSM and use other OS under secured boot. Also enable fast boot under boot menu and if you using raid make sure you have the OROM message as keep current, coz your raid menu should appear inside bios once CSM disabled (these process will help you get that extra boot speed, especially during bios post) nd just follow the windows 8 prompt....!! Would be straight forward. However I used the modded 1707 BIOS with 12.6 RAID OROM but overall sequence should be the same.
    Good luck
    Last edited by apocalypzez; 05-10-2013 at 09:22 AM.
    ASUS Maximus IX APEX || Core i7 7700K || Corsair H150i Pro || EVGA RTX 2080 Ti B.E. || G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C15D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 @ 15-16-16-35-2N || ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB x 2 (RAID0) || WD RED 3TB x 2 || Corsair AX1200i || NZXT H700i (without the smart hub) || Dell U3011 || Windows 10 Pro x64 || Logitech Z2300 THX Certified 2.1 & Corsair Vengeance 2000 ||

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Hey Nodens I followed the first part where it shows yu how to use disks art to clean the drive. Unfortunately no go. It always just creates two partitions.
    After the "clean" command, issue a "convert gpt" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypzez View Post
    I used parted magic to restore ssd performance.
    You don't need to do this on TRIM supporting drives. Unless you want to bench the drive. Otherwise you're just reducing its life by incurring unnecessary writes all across the drive.

And regarding GPT partition and UEFI boot guide, first thing is to make sure your GPU/s has the required UEFI BIOS (I got it from evga upon requesting them personally via email), after that just disable CSM and use other OS under secured boot. Also enable fast boot under boot menu and if you using raid make sure you have the OROM message as keep current, coz your raid menu should appear inside bios once CSM disabled (these process will help you get that extra boot speed, especially during bios post) nd just follow the windows 8 prompt....!! Would be straight forward. However I used the modded 1707 BIOS with 12.6 RAID OROM but overall sequence should be the same.
    Good luck
    If there is no UEFI GOP firmware for the video card, it doesn't matter as you can keep CSM on, with UEFI first suboptions. You won't get the spped improvement in booting but if your video card has no UEFI GOP for it out yet thats all you can do.

Keep current is not needed or suggested. There is no OROM loaded at all so it would affect nothing at all. Unless your array has an issue. With keep current you won't see it while booting. So it's a bad idea.

Also you can't disable CSM entirely if you're installing Win7.

12.6 OROM is entirely irrelevant to this process and in fact if you install in UEFI mode, it's not even used so there's no point, AT ALL, flashing a modded UEFI image with it.
    Last edited by Nodens; 05-10-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Typos
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Banned Array

you don't need to convert anything or clean anything. just go to BIOS and disable the CSM, then boot to Win8 EFI installation media (F8 at boot up, select "UEFI: DVD/USB media") and in installer select the destination drive, delete all partitions (so it stays empty), then make it install on that empty drive. win8 will take care of everything and prep GPT layout.

worth noting is that you need a video card BIOS compatible with EFI boot as well, otherwise computer won't boot in EFI mode with Secure Mode. UEFI GOP is support on 660+ series cards from nvidia, but need to be requested from Tech support and flashed by user.
    Titan cards come with UEFI GOP from factory, 700 series will probably follow the same route.
    Last edited by feniks; 05-10-2013 at 06:20 PM.

ROG Member Array

Thanks for all the help guys I will give these options a try. Can't call evga right now but would anyone here have gtx 670 ftw 4gb UEFI bios files?

Thanks again I will post progress as soon as I get to trying it!

Banned Array

I have only 660Ti & 670 2GB reference UEFI. open the tech support case with EVGA, they will send you email with zipped BIOS in an hour. They are very fast at that.

good luck!

ROG Member Array

Did just that and they got back to me just now.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast