cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recognizing memory incorectly on G53JW

Retired
Not applicable
Hi,

I sent in my laptop with 8GB ram for rma after I had issue with my DC pin.They fixed it and sent it back. However, now it just shows 4GB in BIOS as well in system properties, dxdiag,... But it shows 8gb in CPUZ. After I talked to the tech rep, flashed my Bios to 211. There was no difference. I also reseated the RAM.
The maximum memory is not checked in msconfig.

Anyone else having this issue? Please help!

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Retired
Not applicable
I switched rams between slots : put the 4GB one in place of the stock 2GB near the HD...
It now shows 6GB in the bios and in the system..but CPUZ still detects the 2GB ram under the keyboard.
So, the rams are all working fine. I still dont understand why BIOS doesnt detect the ram but CPUZ does. >.>

Chastity
Level 10
Open up msconfig.exe and go to the Boot tab. Then hit Advanced Options. Check and see if "Maximum Memory" is active. If so, untick it.

Also, you need to pair up the 2 2GB sticks in the same bank. Put the 4GB one in it's own bank. I don't have my G53JW here anymore, so I can't tell you which ones to use, but iirc, slots 1 and 2 are bank 1, and 3 and 4 are bank 2. Ideally, you want the 2 2GB sticks in Bank 1, and the 4GB in Bank 2. (1, 2 and 3 slots)
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
The maximum memory is unticked. already checked that. Do you think its regarding the 211 release? coz i think they updated my bios. That seems to be they only change. It was workin perfectly fine before I sent my laptop to RMA. Do you know when they are going to release the new bios version?

Chastity
Level 10
If you think it was the flash, just go into the BIOS and reset it to defaults, to clear the CMOS. If that doesn't work, you can roll back using EasyFlash in the BIOS. Just don't load the rom from NTFS. 😉
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]