Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme bad/dead pci-e slot?

DasMuse
Level 7
first off i'll introduce my rig and the situation:

Mobo: Rampage IV Extreme
CPU: Intel i7-3930k
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH
GPU: EVGA 04G-P4-2686-KR GeForce GTX 680 w/ Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
PSU: CORSAIR AX760i
CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i

what happened was Thursday i noticed that the cpu was running about 20 degrees hotter during idle, and would heat up to over 70 under load... the normal idle is usually between 30-35... so i started to think my h100i was starting to die off... i started to test things in my rig to troubleshoot then after i unplugged it and started taking ram out to test if any of it was bad, i started it up again and nothing... the rig would light up and all the fans would turn on but nothing on the screen... so i took the gtx-680 out of the first slot and put it in the 4th slot (since they say x16, i'm still somewhat new to this mobo so i'm not sure if there's a difference between slots though i did see some people having issues with the first slot running in x16 and not x8) and it started up again... leaving me to think the first slot is now dead and was causing the cpu heating issues (despite me not knowing exactly how that would work) ... also its no longer over-heating and running the way it was before.

so my question is, has this happened to anyone before? is it something i did or is it likely dead? its a bit aggravating because i was in the process of getting another gtx-680 for SLI and now i'm a bit weary... i got the mobo on newegg over 2 months ago so i can't RMA it from them... any suggestions? thanks in advance.
33 REPLIES 33

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi DasMuse 🙂

When this happened did you clear CMOS and/or switch to your second BIOS chip and then try to put the 680 back in the first slot?

DasMuse
Level 7
yes, multiple times actually... also tried with an older video card if that matters. it didn't work in the first slot either.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm I wonder about this. If it is the MB or the CPU. Is your CPU behaving normally doing it's normal work etc?

DasMuse
Level 7
Yeah, its performing the way it did before I started to notice the cpu getting warm. Its now running under 35 at idle. Haven't seen it go over 55 since I moved the card

HiVizMan
Level 40
If your slot is dead then please do RMA the board. You paid for a working motherboard.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

DasMuse
Level 7
i plan on it, i just wanted to see what others said about it first to see if maybe it was something i did... problem is i need my PC for work as well and i really can't go without it for a long period of time.

DasMuse wrote:
i plan on it, i just wanted to see what others said about it first to see if maybe it was something i did... problem is i need my PC for work as well and i really can't go without it for a long period of time.

You can always pay for an advance RMA.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

Raja
Level 13
Might want to get the CPU itself checked out. Not much in terms of electronics between the first slot and the CPU. The transceivers are on the CPU and the GPU. It's hard to imagine how the board would trip up a working processor out of the blue unless there were a trace fault in the first place. Almost all of the pins on the slot are signal related. Those that are power related tie back to the +3.3V and +12V rails of the CPU. Seeing as the GPU works in another slot it is definitely worth getting the CPU checked out as well. One last thing that irks me is the ATX 12V connector - check there is no damage to the board at the ATX 12V connector or your PSU's ATX 12V cable.

-Raja

HiVizMan
Level 40
Raja I have the exact same thing on one of my RIVE boards - I will swap out a couple of CPU's and see if it is board or CPU related my side. Not sure that helps the OP much, one way or another something is going to be replaced. The question is just what...
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.