cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good starting point for RIVE, 3930K H110...??

Fieldsweeper
Level 7
I currently have a Rampage IV Extreme, with a i7-3930K stock, and a Corsair H110 cooler on it.

a few case fans, and a GTX Titan for the GPU 🙂

From a base BIOS Setting, what would be a good starting point for overclocking this. I have made two threads on Overclock.net but no one wants to help. it has been quite a few years since I last overclocked anything and then it was using jumpers on the MOBO, and changing the Multiplier a bit and that was about it Lol.

My original settings were pretty much stock with the memory XMP (used in manual mode I just coppied all the XMP settings manually) for the RAM:

Bclk 100
Multi - 45x
vcore: 1.440
LLC: high
CPU Current capability: 150%
VCCSA LLC: regular
VCCSA: 120%

1.3x switching for cleaner power and the spread spectrum's were disabled. but i cant even run prime95 small tft's for more than an hour and even less on Folding@home

the temps were not that high, with the max being around 77-81 degrees depending on the core, I think at one time I had upped the voltage / lowered the clock but the ABSOLUTE highest temp i saw was 83C on one core, and briefly, sustained was about 80-81C

kept getting BSOD

most of them DRIVER_IQRL_NOT_EQUAL etc. cannot remember, usually reset too quick lmao.

also is it me or AI suite make others nervous?? i swear i see more notifications for 0v cores and +5 and +3 volts lmao. and the temps who the f knows I have been using realtemp gt and HWmonitor pro. and CPUz and occasionally AI Suite for seeing the other stuff and on the fly voltage/Frq changes if needed

I have been at this all day today, any help is GREATLY appreciated and faster help is TREMENDOUSLY appreciated 🙂
14 REPLIES 14

graphic
Level 11
hi Fieldsweeper, just a few links to get you started. I'm sure others will
respond in time, I also think 80 is a bit high of a temp in my oppinion,
perhaps try something like 4.6 at say 1.376 volts or something with
tweaking other voltages aswell, I don't bother with prime, just use pc
as normal use, gamming etc

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5835-ASUS-Rampage-IV-Extreme-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking&co...
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25510-Rampage-IV-Extreme-RAM-Guide&country=&status=
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19926-3930K-C2-Degradation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct6tQaEsWYY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx2z07sFM2I

Fieldsweeper
Level 7
actually funny you mention that I decided to now load the optimized defaults, (F5) for now, cus i wasnt doing anything but browsing here, and got a BSOD now, been on for a few hours though.

also how can I read the DMP files, I cannot seem to find any info from the BSOD i get?

also how can i run at 4.6 at 1.37 v when i cant even run 4.5 or 4.4 on same or higher volts ??

Nodens
Level 16
You can post a link to a memory dump file here and I'll tell you what it shows. The links graphic posted are excellent reads to get you started (+rep to him:)).

The answer to your second question depends on your actual settings. Several options that you may be leaving on auto may have different values on 4.5 or 4.6 etc that work or don't. If you tell us what exactly you are setting, we can help you further:)
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

graphic
Level 11
hehe, thanks Nodens, just wondering have you tried any of the presets Fieldsweeper ?
from what I can tell memory is very important and actually listening to Raja in video he
really does explain how memory can affect high cpu overclocks, for now I have settled
at 4.6 with offset of .8 and allot of the auto settings changed and or disabled.
under full load cpuid reports 1.376v and as low as .95v 🙂 memory running at 1870 in bios
I think my cpu might have degraded a bit, but can't be sure? perhaps Ill upgrade to the
Core i7-4930K

Nodens
Level 16
Btw that's JJ in the videos not Raja 😛
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
Btw that's JJ in the videos not Raja 😛

my bad, 😛 your all awesome anyhow, and i'm very happy having a ROG board and
been part of this community 😄

Fieldsweeper
Level 7
Thanks guys, I will upload a few pics of the BIOS settings in a little bit, I defualted to the F5 settings (optimized defualts) and fell asleep running prime95. still running when I woke up so I know the thing is stable normally.

Also the RAM I am using is Crucial balliistix Sport, 2 x 8 GB x4 for a total of 64GB, at the stock settings, i never used the XMP i just made sure the settings matched the XMP profile.

DDR3-1600

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you want to make sure your memory is good to go, I suggest running Memtest86+ first before any other OC happens.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Fieldsweeper
Level 7
Memory is fine, havent touched, it but i did run it and after 2 and half hours of no errors, I got bored.

BUT here are the BIOS pics, and even the BIOS file, I will also include current screenshots of the monitoring software at startup and then idle (5 0r 10 mins, as well the beginning of prime 95 small TFTs.

as I was typing this prime95 crashed, which is a first, especially since the computer didnt crash and the hottest temp on realtempGT is 87 I have realtemp alarm set for 90C which is something I do not want to reach, BUT for prime 95 I assume 95C on a 3930K should be ok?

nicely packed in a .zip file.

PS in the mean time I will try to run rime again, if it fails like that again, I will wait if I BSOD I will lower the voltage a smidge but add more LLC

Pics and Bios file:

http://www.filedropper.com/ocattempt1-copy