cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7970 Matrix Non-Platinum running hot?

AdamTrans
Level 7
Hi all

I recently just purchased the 7970 Matrix Non-Platinum as there was no stock of the platinum version in South Africa and Im just wanting to know if this is normal.

Okay so when Im playing a game like bf3 my temperatures get to above 80 Degrees with everything on stock clocks, voltages and auto fan. But when I decrease the core voltage from 1257 to 1200 my temps then hover at 72-73 Degrees (Im using the latest Gpu Tweak 2.3.7.3).

Would other Matrix owners please share what temps you are getting with your cards. Im contemplating on whether to remove the heatsink and check the thermal paste on the gpu?

Any response would be much appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

B0UJI
Level 7
Not that hot. When running games I usually average in the mid 60's on Auto FAN profile. If i make a custom one to pump it to 40% by 45*C then it will average low 60's.

Zka17
Level 16
What is your ambient/room temperature where you're running that system? How is the airflow in and around your case?

Also, check the fan settings on that Matrix... are the fans speeding up when the card is under load?

Room temp is about 23 Degrees. The airflow in my case is good I think, I have a 600T White Corsair and removed the top drive cage to allow for more air to get through, and I monitor fan speed % when gaming and it only gets up to 40% on auto at 80+ degrees....And when I touch the backplate of the card it is really hot, like cook an egg hot!

Zka17
Level 16
Set the fans at a higher speed...

AdamTrans
Level 7
Okay so I setup a custom fan profile where at 40*C I set the fans to 40% and when it reaches 60*C it increases to 50% and so on, so far my temps have come down and lay in the mid 60's but that is still with the gpu voltage set to 1200 instead of 1257. If I set it to stock voltage (1257) temps then go up into the mid 70's...Should I still give the thermal paste a look?

map01ch
Level 7
Have you tried the latest GPU driver?

Gpu drivers? You mean the 13.5 beta2 and 13.4 CAP1? If so then yes. And Im using gpu tweak version 2.3.7.3.

Zka17
Level 16
AdamTrans, have you tried the Matrix fans at full blast? Also, pay attention to the back of the card... for optimal cooling you need good airflow over there too...

You can try giving a look to the thermal paste, but if the temps are going down when you're increasing the fan speed, then i would say that your card is working properly... if you remove the stock cooler, be prepared to apply new paste... (I found that the paste used on the Matrix cards seems better than on other Asus products...)

RagnaCaT
Level 7
If you are going to thermal paste please consider GELID Solutions GC-Extreme, Zka17 recomended this to me, I applied it to my matrix. At first it would hit 98 in less than 2 minutes in furmark with an ambient temp of 30c since its hot here in Puerto Rico after I repasted it 15 minutes furmark would stay around 82C to 83c with 62% fan its not what others have posted for the matrix but its way better than 95C+ @ 100% fan, Gelid sounds like a miracle but thats my story! I even put some on a HD 6450 and it droped 3C at idle. My matrix works great on everything and gaming is at 69-73C on ultra crossfired with a reference on ULTRA in tomb raider, reference has GHZ bios and sits around 71C-78C. I just wished for lower temps! At the moment i still dont know what wrong with my matrix.