cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Formula not detecting SSD

eladla
Level 7
This is my first post, so Hello to everyone 🙂

I just setup my new rig, with a R4F, and installed windows 7 and everything went well.
After doing a reset for some windows update, windows would not boot.
When I went in to the BIOS I can see the drive is not detected.
I did all the usual exchange data/power cable, change ports, clear BIOS, etc. With no luck.
I also tried switching between IDE and AHCI.
POST takes a long time and once past POST the hdd activity led remains on while the system is powered.

I tried disconnecting the SSD for a few hours (as per the OCZ forum recommendation) but that did not help either.

My BIOS version was 3602 when the issue started and I upgraded to 4004 to see if that might help.
I am not on 4004.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
11 REPLIES 11

graphic
Level 11
hello eladla, you want to have it set on ACHI
it sorta sounds something may be wrong with the ssd
did you have the ssd connected to the intel sata port?
found this, http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?52969-SSD-NOT-DETECTED-BY-BIOS-HANGS
post #3 o.0

i personally went with intel 510 series and later 520 series, I have them both now set up in raid 0
gives me a total 211GB, i figured reliability was more important to me than performance

edit, just a thought if you have another pc you can try and see if it gets detected, or even what I have got,
is a stripped western digital external drive and can use that to connect any drive to any pc via usb

eladla
Level 7
Thank you for the info graphic.
I have the Vector, not the Vertex, but it might have it's own issues.
I was sent here by the OCZ crew to see if maybe it's a known issue with the mobo on the BIOS versions with CSM.
I know it would probably be a useless attemp, but they asked so nicely 🙂

eladla
Level 7
I just went through some hoops to get my old machine back, and as expected the drive was not detected either.
Sorry to have bothered you folks, but the OCZ people would not move forward until I got to know my mobo better 🙂

graphic
Level 11
na no bother man, so seems ssd is dead ya?

eladla
Level 7
Having the same symptom on two systems... dead for sure.
Unless it's some kind of known issue with the Vector that OCZ have a workaround for,
but I doubt that. I'll just have to RMA it and get a Samsung pro meanwhile, because I want to get my new system running.
I can just put it in a RAID when it comes back.

graphic
Level 11
cool man, good luck with your rma 🙂

eladla
Level 7
Thank you! Nothing to do but hope for the best at this point.

HiVizMan
Level 40
So you are saying that a windows update and a reset later your SSD is dead? Wow dude that is harsh. Good luck and keep us informed please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

eladla
Level 7
Yes, just like that. One restart and boom - drive dead.
The most annoying part is that if I didn't have another computer to test the drive in,
OCZ support would have me running circles for I don't know how long.
Once I told them it was not working on another system they gave up and opened an RMA case.
I hear their RMA turnaround is top notch... at least that...

I guess this kind of stuff happens. Mass manufacturing has become so reliable,
that I don't expect these kind of things anymore...