cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD Crossfire 7870 heat issues on Maximus V Gene

Donerik
Level 7
So I recently bought a second Sapphire 7870. I did this because I wanted to get more FPS on Crysis 3 and other games running on cryengine 3. On their own each card works brilliantly but when I install them together the lower card blocks the fans on the upper card. The power supply is near but not blocking the second set of fans.

System Specs:
NZXT Vulcan Case
Corsair 750 watt PSU
Asus Maximus V Gene
Intel core I5 3750k cooled by an asetek water block
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2666 8GB ram
Corsair Neutron GTX 90 GB SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HD
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HD (I have two for bulk storage and data redundancy)
7870 HD GHZ Edition Sapphire OC 1050
7870 HD GHZ Edition Sapphire Flex Edition

So it's tight inside my micro atx case with all of that stuff but not unreasonably so. The case fans are such that the back fan draws air from the outside and pushes it through the cooling block. The two top fans are pulling air from inside the case and blowing it out the top. I have a fan on the side blowing room temp air right onto the graphics cards. I amso have a fan in front drawing air into the case to push it over the hard drive.

The problem is that the stock coolers on the 7870 are blocked by the second card. I might sell one of the cards if it's going to cost too much to solve this problem. I am sure I am not the first person with a problem like this. It's honestly not something I thought about because you see cards close together all the time in pictures. Especially with 3 or 4 cards together.

Help! I am hoping that there is some magic bullet solution to this problem. Preferably a cheap one. I am willing to spend up to what I'll lose selling one of the 7870s at a total loss. 185 dollars.

Thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES 11

fbm211
Level 7
I would sell both and get a 7970 or a gtx 680.
You could get either for just under 400 I think. I got my second 680 for 370.00
Maximus VII Apex
Intel i7 10700k @ 5GHZ
Custom Water Cooling
Patriot Viper Steel 4400 17-17-17-36-300-2t
GeForce RTX 2080 Hydro Copper
WD Black NVMe 750 500g
Seasonic Focus GX-850
Lian LI O11D XL
Dell S3220DF Monitor
Vanatoo T 0s speaker system
ROG mouse
Audio Technica ATH-AD 2000x headphones
AE-9 Sound Blaster

Donerik
Level 7
Sadly I already own what I own, so I am trying to make that work. Are you saying, It won't work? or it won't be easy?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Think if you want to go effective dual cards you might be best served selling the motherboard and getting one with more space for dual card.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

kkn
Level 14
larger case, not easy to move air in a small case and cool that mutch of hardware making that mutch heat ( screencards ) + the CPU gets it too.

Donerik
Level 7
Hrm, I like my case, It's cool looking (I know function over form, but sigh). And it's a micro ATX case so that is what I am working with atm.

To swap mother boards I would need to probably get a new case and a new MB. which is possible, but less optimal than selling both cards and getting new ones.

Damn.

Anyone have other ideas? or any experiance with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186067 a solution like that?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah that would work for the top card and then leave the bottom card on air. Lateral thinking on your part I like it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Zka17
Level 16
When my MVG was working, the only well functioning dual graphics setup was with fullcover waterblocks on the graphics cards... first of all, I didn't had so tiny cards with the original cooler which would fit together...

I would say, if you want to keep the two cards you have right now, get fullcover blocks for them and use an external radiator if you prefer the small case...

Otherwise, really just sell those cards and get a single HD7970... - if you can afford, a single Titan will satisfy all your needs for a while too...

Personally, I do not like the Accelero coolers... then better the Asus DirectCu cards... - but I may be alone with this preference...

Donerik
Level 7
Arg I might eat some money on these cards, so frustrating that of all the stupid problems to have this is the stupid problem I am having. I am reading reviews of the accelero right now seeing if it will even fit between my two existing cards. I'll keep ya'll updated but if anyone has any ideas let me know.

fbm211
Level 7
i like Zka17's suggestion about water cooling the top card.You could mount the rad on the outside of the case or get a rad box.
Swiftech has a pretty nice and affordable setup you could try.(link below)All you would need is a waterblock for your card (if there is one),fittings and tubing.And you could add a second waterblock for the other card down the road.
http://www.swiftech.com/mcr-x20-drive-rev3.aspx

The version with the pump comes with the 35x .I would go with the tripple 120 with pump option to get the most bang for your buck.
Maximus VII Apex
Intel i7 10700k @ 5GHZ
Custom Water Cooling
Patriot Viper Steel 4400 17-17-17-36-300-2t
GeForce RTX 2080 Hydro Copper
WD Black NVMe 750 500g
Seasonic Focus GX-850
Lian LI O11D XL
Dell S3220DF Monitor
Vanatoo T 0s speaker system
ROG mouse
Audio Technica ATH-AD 2000x headphones